Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joetisserie Turkey approach that works!

Options
Due to all of our crazy schedules, we had our Thanksgiving yesterday.  11 people in the house and a ton of food, fun and family!
Anyway, here's how I did my turkey this year, in case any of you are still looking for input...

Bought a frozen 16# Butterball from Aldi, and thawed it out in the fridge for a couple of days while still in it's package.  Then opened it up, removed the stuff from inside the bird, and patted dry as best I could with paper towels.

Made a dry rub of 1 Tbs Baking Powder, 3 Tbs Kosher Salt, 1 Tbs Black Pepper.  Rubbed this all over the bird and put it back in the fridge on a rack & tray to air dry for another 2 days.

Yesterday, on cooking day, I made a fire in the "back half" of the firebowl, added some cherry hardwood, and set up the Joetisserie rig.  Then I did the Alton Brown trussing method to secure the bird, and skewered it onto the spit.  At 300-325F I put the bird on, threw a peeled onion on the fire then closed the lid and let it spin for about 3 hours.  Pulled it out at 160-165F breast internal temp. Rested for about an hour, since a lot of the other food was not quite ready... but it was all good!  

Had to be one of the juiciest birds I've ever had.  The skin was crisp and sealed in the juices.  Just smokey enough, and super tender.

HOPE YOU HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

DRY BIRD TRUSSED & SKEWERED

READY TO GO!

DONE!

LET'S EAT !!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    That's a winner for sure.  And dropping it here on Thanksgiving eve is like a preemptive strike.  Well played.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Spinning is awesome way to do it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Oh my!  Was going to do the Mad Max Method, but now I am tempted to audible.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Oh my!  Was going to do the Mad Max Method, but now I am tempted to audible.
    Yeah, it's definitely worthy of a try!  Perhaps for next month's festivities!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Dang! I want a Joe-tisserie so bad!  This place is going to put me in the poor house!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is a great-lookin' bird. Congrats!
    Stillwater, MN
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Dang! I want a Joe-tisserie so bad!  This place is going to put me in the poor house!
    Yup! But the Joetisserie is so worth it! My SWMBO prefers only skinless, boneless chicken breasts, and the flat basket on the Joetisserie is her favorite way I've ever done them.  And her picky friend doesn't like things too smokey - which is sacrilegious here in KC - but again, those BLSL breasts in the flat basket are her fave as well!  It really does a nice job on any protein or veg I've ever put on the spit!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    We're here to help!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Hell of a nice job!  I'm going to have to try this one