Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vrack for vertical roasting for Turkey

Options
Ok, I get to try roasting thanksgiving turkey on my large big green egg. First time going for it. What are the pro's and cons of either using a v-rack versus a vertical rack - either wire or ceramic? I'm leaning to the v-rack but open to other ideas....

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Turkey is longer than tall so you could fit a larger turkey on horizontally, theoretically.  YMMV
    Options
    What Nola said…

but since this will be your first then who are you serving (and who are you trying to impress?)

even at these prices then if you are trying to WOW some relatives etc then may I suggest a trial bird cook? 

Over the 20 years I’ve been on these BGE forums I have read of very few first time Thanksgiving turkey successes! 

These birds are NOT difficult  to egg, but trying to impress any skeptical family can be averted by at least one trial bird! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @rrp speaks the truth. I volunteered to do a turkey on the Egg one year and went with the mad max method. It did not end well. A test run is a great suggestion. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @rrp speaks the truth. I volunteered to do a turkey on the Egg one year and went with the mad max method. It did not end well. A test run is a great suggestion. 
    Guess I got lucky...my first mad max turkey was a success, if I may say so, BUT I had to call the hotline manned by the legend himself when the skin was browning too fast  :)

Yup, back in the day mad max would post his sos phone# for both Thanksgiving. 
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you learn the basic skills of how to cook on a smoker or oven and can follow directions and know enough to ignore hard time/temp instructions if they are unfortunately in a recipe, I would think that your chances for success doing a new cook the first time would be very high.  

If you will blindly follow a navigation direction that puts you in a lake, do a practice run first.

https://youtu.be/DOW_kPzY_JY