Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meater block

Options
We're pulling in the driveway; two hours my wife drove us back from Indianapolis, and MrsC looks at me and said is there anything else I should know? So much for discreet there sat a huge Amazon box 24x20x18 or something big like that.
My wife puts up with my shenanigans and most of  the time believes me when I tell her I really need it to cook.

I ordered the meater block, set of 4 wireless temperature probes with a blue tooth station.
Inside the  big box was this well packaged trio <
Like nesting dolls. 

Very nicely packaged.

It seems to be made well with quality materials, stainless steel,ceramic and bamboo bass. The blue tooth booster is located in the block it self, simple clean design. There is a USB port on the side accessible by extending the stand for charging 

Trick little magnets on the back cover 

You do have to supply your own power cord

Once I'm up and try it out few times I'll through in my two cents. 

Fort Wayne Indiana 

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    the old saying that goes . . . whoever has the most toys at the end . . .WINS!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Well played on both sides of the equation. 
    Since i'm here- congrats to be back at home and take no prisoners with this fight that you are too familiar with.  F' cancer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    I have successfully resisted buying this thing so far, but dayam that looks well-made.  Thanks a lot!  :angry:

;) 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• OhioEgger
    Options
    No block here, but I have the original Meater and it works really well. A top notch product.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    These should work great on my webber kettle rotisserie 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Well played on both sides of the equation. 
    Since i'm here- congrats to be back at home and take no prisoners with this fight that you are too familiar with.  F' cancer.
    Thank you. 
    Mrs.C wasn't upset about my purchase, just happy I'm home. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is interesting.  So is the idea that you could use all four probes at once if you wanted to?  Say if you were smoking a big brisket and wanted to monitor different areas to see how they were cooking?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MasterC
    Options
    Yes you could, they are independent. Multiple cooks and grills at once.
    The ceramic end measures ambient temp while prob tracks internal.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    I could run these at once keeping track and logging each cook/grill. 

These should be a winners 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    I have two Meater+ probes.  I really like them a lot.  The Meater Block is very nice, congrats on the new indispensable tool absolutely required to produce the best food possible (you can show your wife this post.  We have your back)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    This is interesting.  So is the idea that you could use all four probes at once if you wanted to?  Say if you were smoking a big brisket and wanted to monitor different areas to see how they were cooking?
    Yes, multiple different proteins, multiple cookers, or same piece of meat but different areas.  They have an pit temp thermocouple and a protein thermocouple in a single probe.  No wires.  You can even submerge them in oil if deep frying something like a steak or roast.

They really work very slick.  I use them for rotisserie items.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I have a Meater+ that I use all the time. One key to ensure it always works is to use steel wool to clean the flat end to a shine. If you don't, it may not charge and you'll have a dead probe for the next cook. Other than that and the large-ish hole it puts in the meat, it's a great tool.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I jumped in on their Kickstarter (confession... online purchase wile under the influence) whatever years ago.

They didn't deliver for 2+ yrs after their projected date(s). They did send many cutesy updates that basically said "LOL... we STILL don't have shite to send you. LOL!" Was so utterly pi$$ed off. Enough that, after receiving my Meater Block unit 1-2 years ago, I still haven't opened it up. Thinking about the thing raises my blood pressure, and sphincter tone. Not necessarily in that order.

I'll admit that this thread has made me consider at least unboxing, and charging it.

I still have some issues to work through.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MasterC
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I compared the probes I have

Genius is 3mm In diameter
    Meater is 5mm
    Webber Igrill is 4mm

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    Options
    Does anyone know if one can drop a probe in a cooker to monitor the pit temp?

My understanding is that the magic in the tip of the probe is expected to be shielded by the meat/protein its stuck in. What if you placed a probe on the grid, without sticking it in anything, to keep track of the pit temp?

• MasterC
    Options
    Nope nope nope don't do that 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    caliking said:
    I jumped in on their Kickstarter (confession... online purchase wile under the influence) whatever years ago.

They didn't deliver for 2+ yrs after their projected date(s). They did send many cutesy updates that basically said "LOL... we STILL don't have shite to send you. LOL!" Was so utterly pi$$ed off. Enough that, after receiving my Meater Block unit 1-2 years ago, I still haven't opened it up. Thinking about the thing raises my blood pressure, and sphincter tone. Not necessarily in that order. 
    I've participated in two Kickstarters, both were over two years overdue by delivery.  The first (an audiophile text) was worth the wait; the second (a motorcycle throttle lock) was a great concept but poorly executed (they weren't engineers and didn't understand galvanic corrosion; my throttle lock is now permanently locked).  I won't do another one; I'll pay a few extra dollars after an item is offered for sale and I can read a few reviews.  
    It is an interesting funding model, however.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    Options
    Botch said:
    caliking said:

I've participated in two Kickstarters, both were over two years overdue by delivery.  The first (an audiophile text) was worth the wait; the second (a motorcycle throttle lock) was a great concept but poorly executed (they weren't engineers and didn't understand galvanic corrosion; my throttle lock is now permanently locked).  I won't do another one; I'll pay a few extra dollars after an item is offered for sale and I can read a few reviews.  
    That it is. But, like you, I concluded that I’m not the Kickstarter type. I can’t take the aggravation. 

• MasterC
    Options
    Goofin around. Started with three and thought you've got four probes. Just having fun doing a turbo cook

So far so good 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    Dark screen is better defined for me
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    Mopping away 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2021
    Options
    caliking said:
    Botch said:
    caliking said:

That it is. But, like you, I concluded that I’m not the Kickstarter type. I can’t take the aggravation. 
    I agree.  I put a $100 deposit on a little known company, Ford, selling a newfangled Bronco.  I finally got fed up, luckily when I cancelled they gave me my money back!

Product launches are super hard.  Just because a person has a great idea, doesn't mean it will work out once reality sets in.  Off-loading the risk to a large population who does not understand, or appreciate all the risks is an interesting business model.  Even if the product is hugely successful, the Kickstarters only get a discounted product and some merch.  The risk/reward dynamic is way out of whack.  That is why I avoid Kickstarters unless its for a book or art or something along those lines.  I prefer to buy my gadgets once they have come to market, even if i risk it costing me a few extra bucks.
  • caliking
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Dark screen is better defined for me
    The cook time estimate is kinda cool. 

• MasterC
    Options
    Ambient temp varies 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    Slathered in peach preserves 

Then alarms go off saying cook is finished 

I  like the meater block 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    Options
    That looks farkin' good.

How accurate was the cook time estimate?

• MasterC
    Options
    All probes were within 2°.  Estimated cook time right on, we'll see if I can repeat that. It turned out perfect. 

It even counts down the rest
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have the Meater+ and enjoy it, however I use it as a guide for the most part. Too many times it says that something is done only to stick my thermapen in and its about 10ish degrees different. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• MasterC
    Options
    The next brisket I do I'll use 2 probes 
    Fort Wayne Indiana