Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Boat Umami Salt

Options
Wondering what the gourmets/chefs on here think of this product. 
Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    Anchovies and sea salt, I like it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I would try it. Looking at other umami salts, which I've never heard have shitake mushroom powder.  I add that to my brisket rub and injection. I also use dried tuna flakes for injection.  Both add umami flavor.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    If you’re after umami try some MSG.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,183
    Options
    I use MSG.  You can get it from most Asian markets.  Although, that Umami salt does sound amazing.  Might have to try some.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I use MSG.  You can get it from most Asian markets.  Although, that Umami salt does sound amazing.  Might have to try some.
    No need to go to an Asian market.

This stuff is essentially MSG and most grocery stores carry it.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,183
    edited November 2021
    Options

Good to know!  I didn't realize we had it branded for the average US consumer who believes chinese food syndrome is caused by MSG.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4706
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options

Ahhh. I see. So it's 40% sodium/salt? Good to know. I'll just use 2.5 times the recommended dose.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    womaus said:

Ahhh. I see. So it's 40% sodium/salt? Good to know. I'll just use 2.5 times the recommended dose.
    Actually, sodium chloride is 23 parts sodium to 35.5 parts chlorine by weight which is 38% sodium.

MSG (the "S" is Sodium) is 13% sodium by weight.
    Options
    I actually prefer the MSG from the Asian stores. I like the flake style that they sell. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    womaus said:

You don’t need to, MSG is salt on crack!  If you don’t believe me ask uncle Roger.

Options
    GregW said:
    I actually prefer the MSG from the Asian stores. I like the flake style that they sell. 
    Accent has the exact same crystal shape and weight/volume as ajinomoto which is the brand sold in asian store around here.

Options
    paqman said:
    womaus said:

You don’t need to, MSG is salt on crack!  If you don’t believe me ask uncle Roger.
    Uncle Rooooggggeerrrr.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    paqman said:
    GregW said:
    Accent has the exact same crystal shape and weight/volume as ajinomoto which is the brand sold in asian store around here.
    Your Accent must be different. The stuff I get at the Asain store is Flakes.
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    womaus said:

Actually, sodium chloride is 23 parts sodium to 35.5 parts chlorine by weight which is 38% sodium.

Is your middle name Pedant? Just asking....
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    womaus said:
    womaus said:

No, it's "Schtick".  It's an online persona thing.  I don't think I've ever explained that to anyone here before, but a bunch of people here on the forum who've met me in person get it.

Options
    GregW said:
    paqman said:
    GregW said:
    The Accent (grocery store) and Ajinomoto msg (asian store) that we get here in the GWN both have very small cylinder shaped crystals.

Options
    paqman said:
    GregW said:
    paqman said:
    GregW said:
    The Accent (grocery store) and Ajinomoto msg (asian store) that we get here in the GWN both have very small cylinder shaped crystals.

There is definitely a big difference between your photo and the Accent I have in my kitchen. The Accent I have, upon examination with a magnifier is indeed crystals, however, they are much smaller. Smaller than table salt crystals. Perhaps it is due to very rough shipment handling.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    MSG dissolves in water much faster than sugar or salt.  There's really no advantage or disadvantage in the grain size unless you plan on coating food with it like a salted pretzel, which would be weird.
    Options
    MSG dissolves in water much faster than sugar or salt.  There's really no advantage or disadvantage in the grain size unless you plan on coating food with it like a salted pretzel, which would be weird.
    Would it really be weird, or did you mean to say glorious?
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Accent is the north American brand of Ajinomoto, which was the original company in Japan to commercialize MSG.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    womaus said:
    womaus said:

No, it's "Schtick".  It's an online persona thing.  I don't think I've ever explained that to anyone here before, but a bunch of people here on the forum who've met me in person get it.

Really 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.