Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Fish

GRILLING FISH: Large BGE - What do you place the fish on to grill - need ideas for grandson Christmas gift
ThankYou
Mr. Toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    What fish are you cooking? What size of portion? Some you can put right on the grill just spray with Pam or something. Also make grill mats that work great and reduce chance of “fall through”. Some like planks under salmon and trout and such. Lots of options. IT is really important with delicate fish in order to not have a hockey puck. Good luck. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I saw a tip a couple months ago where a guy put the fish on top of lemon slices, so the fish didn't touch the grill.
    Might make for an awkward Xmas gift, though.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    PAM is nasty, will never get that sticky crap off your grill. I know a couple of folks that while on vacay in France took a week long class at Le Cordon Bleu. They mentioned PAM and the instructing Chefs went ballistic, you will ruin your cookware.  I have had great success with avocado oil, higher smoke point than olive oil
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    most fish cooks are basic, the lemon slices mentioned, just on the grill, wrapped in foil, poached in parchment, some can be skewered, cooked on cedar shingles, in a skillet. in a pinch a steel plate, on rockweed seaweed.  now for the expensive, cataplana pan, one of those fancy oyster pans...
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I like doing a Manhattan grilled fish recipe.  Start with a filet of a medium firm fish, like mahi, nothing too firm.  Marinate for 15-30 min in some bourbon, sweet vermouth and a little orange juice.  Grill the fish on or covered in orange slices that were also marinated with the fish.  You can reduce the marinade once you pull the fish and use it as a drizzle.  Really nice and your grandson will probably love it (and sleep well).
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Hansm said:
    PAM is nasty, will never get that sticky crap off your grill. I know a couple of folks that while on vacay in France took a week long class at Le Cordon Bleu. They mentioned PAM and the instructing Chefs went ballistic, you will ruin your cookware.  I have had great success with avocado oil, higher smoke point than olive oil
    Avocado oil falls under the “or something”. 👍🏼

French chefs are a-holes. Listen to a pretentious French chef at your own peril. 🤣 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    so PAM is out, what about ketchup =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lol
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    jar of mayo
    frog mat
    fish basket
    mangrates
    silicon baking sheet

It’s not some concoction of ermagerd ‘cHeMiCaLs!!!’

• Botch
    I've always used Pam in my rice cooker, never had an issue but the surface temps in there never go above 210˚.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    The French chefs probably thought the folks said "SPAM", not "PAM".  They probably don't know wtf PAM is.
  • I like doing a Manhattan grilled fish recipe.  Start with a filet of a medium firm fish, like mahi, nothing too firm.  Marinate for 15-30 min in some bourbon, sweet vermouth and a little orange juice.  Grill the fish on or covered in orange slices that were also marinated with the fish.  You can reduce the marinade once you pull the fish and use it as a drizzle.  Really nice and your grandson will probably love it (and sleep well).
    I have had this with muddled Marichino cherries on top. FANTASTIC!!!
  • If the fish is meaty (swordfish, tuna), or has its skin on (salmon), just grilling direct on a clean grid will work. 

If it is something you want to be flaky (a white fish, haddock for ex.), you can cook it in paper or on lemons, etc, but that’s not really grilling. 

As someone else mentioned, salmon on a plank (direct) is an option too. Maybe some planks? Cedar, maple, hickory, etc. 

you could actually buy some lumber and cut to size. Thinner the better. 

No. There are no chemicals in wood. Unless pressure treated, which will be stated. Obv want to avoid that. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Since the original question is about a gift for cooking fish, you could consider a Himalayan salt block.  In full disclosure, I don't have one.  I have cooked on one once and it worked out pretty well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    I like doing a Manhattan grilled fish recipe.  Start with a filet of a medium firm fish, like mahi, nothing too firm.  Marinate for 15-30 min in some bourbon, sweet vermouth and a little orange juice.  Grill the fish on or covered in orange slices that were also marinated with the fish.  You can reduce the marinade once you pull the fish and use it as a drizzle.  Really nice and your grandson will probably love it (and sleep well).
    Am I the only one who is wondering if @The Cen-Tex Smoker read the whole post - or if his eyes were just drawn to "bourbon, sweet vermouth and a little orange juice." ?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    I like doing a Manhattan grilled fish recipe.  Start with a filet of a medium firm fish, like mahi, nothing too firm.  Marinate for 15-30 min in some bourbon, sweet vermouth and a little orange juice.  Grill the fish on or covered in orange slices that were also marinated with the fish.  You can reduce the marinade once you pull the fish and use it as a drizzle.  Really nice and your grandson will probably love it (and sleep well).
    Am I the only one who is wondering if @The Cen-Tex Smoker read the whole post - or if his eyes were just drawn to "bourbon, sweet vermouth and a little orange juice." ?
    I thought that was the whole post 
  • I’ve done my own riff on the original recipe as well, I add splash of soy to help balance with a little salt and also add some nice color.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    One of these, with detachable handle, so you can close the lid.

GrillPro Deluxe BBQ Broiler Basket With Detachable Handle | The Home Depot Canada
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
    This is the kind of thinking that could run this country!!!

Manhattans are great again!!!!!
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Salt blocks are fun especially when entertaining and they're easy to clean

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    I bought one for the minimax too. Using it more like hibachi
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • nolaegghead
    Hansm said:
    It's just sunflower oil, water and a natural emulsifier.  Nothing mystical about it except how it magically sprays out of a cylinder 

Yes salt blocks are super fun to cook on.  in the picture it's probably $25 for the block in the MN parts of the US.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Already mentioned above, Frogmats are awesome. Not just for fish, either. Easy to clean, and easy to store. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Botch said:
    I've always used Pam in my rice cooker, never had an issue but the surface temps in there never go above 210˚.  
    Try brushing the inside of it with butter. If you don't keep butter at room temp, just rub the end of a stick of butter all over the inside. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    caliking said:
    Botch said:
    Try brushing the inside of it with butter. If you don't keep butter at room temp, just rub the end of a stick of butter all over the inside. 
    Hmm, will try this.