Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of alligator ribs

Options
In honor of the UGA v Florida game 

Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Never done. Thinking 250. Will spritz with an apple cider/apple juice mix. I guess 2-3 hours and when it pulls like pork ribs it's done?
    Boom
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve never had them or seen anyone here do them.  They may cook like fish more than pork.  Google is probably your best friend for at least getting a good first guess on how to cook something like this.  

In any case, let us know how they turn out!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Did you marinate in something (buttermilk) overnight?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I’ve never had them or seen anyone here do them.  They may cook like fish more than pork.  
    I've had alligator twice, and they were nuggets, not ribs.  Once they were tender and delicious, the other time they were rubbery and pretty good, like overcooked shrimp.  Anxious to hear how they came out, and how you cooked them.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    I think Lester Smoked this around the 200 mark for 5 or 6 hours at the fest this year 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    My evil twin wants to know if they taste like chicken?  :o
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    No, they do not. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    loco_engr said:
    No, they do not. 
    Closer to anus?
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    loco_engr said:
    No, they do not. 
    Closer to anus?
    Unfortunately no. To me gator has a taste somewhere between bullfrog and rattlesnake. It doesn’t taste identical to either. But somewhere in between. Kind of a froggy/snaky taste if that makes sense. 
    Now gator tail is a whole different ballgame. It approaches anus quality for sure 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Did you marinate in something (buttermilk) overnight?
    I did not. Maybe it would have improved them 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I love gator tail and sausage. I did not like this very much. 
    Boom
  • SGH
    Options
    The tail is the best part. Especially when fried 👍

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited October 2021
    Options
    SGH justt posted this:
    Unfortunately no. To me gator has a taste somewhere between bullfrog and rattlesnake. It doesn’t taste identical to either. But somewhere in between. Kind of a froggy/snaky taste if that makes sense. 
    Now gator tail is a whole different ballgame. It approaches anus quality for sure 👍
    Guess I’ll never know…I love frog legs, though our fish monger very seldom even has them anymore…but snake? SNAKE.??? My gonads would be hanging on a wall after I told my wife that I just served her snake!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sorry they didn’t turn out for you man.  Always a bummer when something really different like this doesn’t turn out. 
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    SGH justt posted this:
    Guess I’ll never know…I love frog legs, though our fish monger very seldom even has them anymore…but snake? SNAKE.??? My gonads would be hanging on a wall after I told my wife that I just served her snake!
    Ron I’m not a fan of snakes at all. To be honest I’m horrified of them. And I certainly would eat just any ole snack meat. But rattlesnake is surprisingly good. Can’t see me trying any other snake meat though. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    SGH justt posted this:
    Ron I’m not a fan of snakes at all. To be honest I’m horrified of them. And I certainly would eat just any ole snack meat. But rattlesnake is surprisingly good. Can’t see me trying any other snake meat though. 
    LOL…the closest I can/could/did get my wife to a rattlesnake is the fossilized rattlesnake tail my late uncle found as a kid in a back water area of the Mississippi River up in Iowa. It really is a cool rock! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    loco_engr said:
    No, they do not. 
    Closer to anus?
    Well, if anything... doesn't the tail (as the kids say, these days) literally approach the anus?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Never done. Thinking 250. Will spritz with an apple cider/apple juice mix. I guess 2-3 hours and when it pulls like pork ribs it's done?
    I missed that this was the MO. I imagine it would be better grilled hot 'n' fast. 

Its worth another $10 shot. First cooks, of something unique, often go sideways. Issokay.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    Options
    caliking said:
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    loco_engr said:
    No, they do not. 
    Closer to anus?
    Well, if anything... doesn't the tail (as the kids say, these days) literally approach the anus?
    Indeed it does my friend 👍

Status- Standing by.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Snakes don’t have parts

https://youtu.be/5Lek2XKyWa4

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.