Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Shortage - Solved

Options
Cant say its in the general world or not but I went to cook yesterday and realized I only had half a bag of lump.... EEEEEEK

Quick call and visit to local dealer- problem solved

Stopped by local grocery which last night had NO Bread, Produce or chicken and picked up both today- Spatchcock Chicken and No Knead bread tonight

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    I received my three bag box from Rockwood last night. I have two cases of TP and a fully stocked bar. Good to go.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    edited March 2020
    Options
    no lump charcoal, almost bought briquettes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Three bags of Rockwood showed up today. Poor UPS guy.
    Mountain View, CA
  • tclamberth
    tclamberth Posts: 162
    Options
    See dmourati said:
    Three bags of Rockwood showed up today. Poor UPS guy.
    That guy has it easy.......you should see the guy that has to pick this up on a daily basis now that the 3-bag box is back.

How much is a 3 bag box and what’s shipping to AL cost?
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I was forced to crack into some vintage OO that I was aging in the attic.  I was planning on trying at 10 and 20 years  ;)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @stlcharcoal- Just checked your website and did not see the 3 bag option available.  Any insights appreciated although I still have 6 bags at the ready.  Thanks in advance.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @stlcharcoal- Just checked your website and did not see the 3 bag option available.  Any insights appreciated although I still have 6 bags at the ready.  Thanks in advance.  
    Just ran out of boxes......we ordered them last week, so hopefully they'll be constructed tomorrow or early next week.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  Thanks-you guys always come thru.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just ran out of boxes......we ordered them last week, so hopefully they'll be constructed tomorrow or early next week. 

Picked up boxes, so the 3 bag is turned back on .
  • lousubcap
    Options
    3 bag order placed.  Something positive for today.  
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I think I have 10 bags of rockwood in the attic. I'll be making another charcoal run this summer i reckon 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    3 bag order placed.  Something positive for today.  
    Packed it up myself.....it's out front with all the others waiting on UPS
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    man - no lump in my area.  Westside of Cleveland, OH.  down to a half of bag myself
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Wish I could justify getting rock wood. I have had one bag and love it but I can get 8 bags of royal oak for the same price....
    Dyersburg, TN
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Wish I could justify getting rock wood. I have had one bag and love it but I can get 8 bags of royal oak for the same price....
    8 bags?  Where are you getting 20# bags of RO for $3-4/bag?  
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    leemschu said:
    8 bags?  Where are you getting 20# bags of RO for $3-4/bag?  
    Im not going to lie.. the Rockwood is better charcoal but I generally use this from the local HEB for half the price as I paid for the Rockwood.  
    Central Market Mesquite Lump Charcoal 20 LBS

I finally gave up on the RO lump- I was basically mixing it with the Mesquite but I just couldnt take it anymore.  Wasnt really the taste but I hated how I smelled after lighting and cooking with it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    It's been two weeks since I used up the last of my lump (RO is the last I could find). My Nepoleon gasser has been resurrected!. My question to you fine folks is...is it acceptable to use briquettes? That is all that is available around here at the moment. I know they leave more ash but will it cause a problem down the road?
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    No problem with briquettes in general.  Just don't use Matchlight or anything with lighter fuel in them.  You'll need to clean out the ash more often and they may not get the same temps you are used to at the same vent settings - so you may need to adjust a little.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    briquettes can work with the stock grate so long as you clear the grate from underneath during the cook frequently. If you have a KAB, it can be much less work. Not ideal by any means. If it comes down to it, it works...
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Hmmm  .... disturbing.  I will go out an buy a couple hundred pounds today
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    60 8.8lb bags plus half dozen 20 lb red bags. I'm running a bit low....

Where's your toilet paper stash?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    bigguy136 said:
    60 8.8lb bags plus half dozen 20 lb red bags. I'm running a bit low....

Where's your toilet paper stash?
    Lump dust is good for upper and lower cheeks  =)
    canuckland
  • Hansm
    Options
    excellent

• Hansm
    Options
    My local ACE hardware has a massive supply of Lump from many vendors. I have a bag of FOGO, Blueshog and Jealous Devil on hand. The Jealous Devil sux, will use in firepit. Also they have 1 of every of BGE on the floor and 4 of each in boxes.  They offer free assembly and delivery. My new LG BGE arrive next Wednesday
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    The Ace closest to me has also really increased its lump offerings and the entire grilling/outdoor cooking department. Previously, it was rare to find Rockwood in stock and the only other options were BGE and Cowboy.
    Stillwater, MN