Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

??? one of those mail chain cast iron pot scrubbers...

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I have one and I like it.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    the burnt on stuff lifts off with heat and a splash of cold water, then wipe any oil remaining in the pan with paper towel and spread the oil around. no way would i waste time scrubbing it clean
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    abpgwolf said:
    Mine just arrived! Now I've got to cook something dirty LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Mine was very effective…..until it unknowingly found its way into the garbage disposal. It was not good for either. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Mine was very effective…..until it unknowingly found its way into the garbage disposal. It was not good for either. 
    Bet that made a cool noise!  I lost my lightweight aluminum 1/8 teaspoon to the disposal, that was bad enough.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    edited October 2021
    RRP said:
    abpgwolf said:
    or think something "dirty" LOL

IOW seeing just how small this scrubber really is...

then I wonder if the original design/product was sold to mail wearing ancient knights heading off to the crusades! You know...getting toughened up in the body wearing all those heavy suits of mail during those long rides just might get a guy accustomed to mail on other body parts...just sayin...

• RRP said:
    RRP said:
    abpgwolf said:
    or think something "dirty" LOL

IOW seeing just how small this scrubber really is...

then I wonder if the original design/product was sold to mail wearing ancient knights heading off to the crusades! You know...getting toughened up in the body wearing all those heavy suits of mail during those long rides just might get a guy accustomed to mail on other body parts...just sayin...

When I purchased mine on Amazon a few years back, I noticed that various manufacturers made sizes that differed from one to the next. The one I bought seems quite a bit bigger than this. 
  • Botch
    A weaker person may have been tempted to type "chain mail bikini" into Googlez Imagez, but I didn't.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    Seasoning debate/discussion aside, if you sand the business side of a Lodge skillet or whatever, it'll make a significant difference.

No need to go nuts with it -  sand with a coarse grit for a few minutes (or more). Rinse. Oil/grease/season/christen with bacon, etc. and it'll be good to go. 
    I was actually debating taking an angle grinder to it to smooth it down. Heretofore for years I have been using an old reconditioned 10" sold by Montgomery Ward so you know how old it is! The bottom of it is smooth and slick, while this new Lodge is "pebbly" at best!
    EPILOGUE:

Using my random orbital sander I went from this pebbly surface:

To this:

Still not smooth as glass, but it should do just fine!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The chain mail scrubbers scratch your seasoning off. Its not as noticeable when you use cast iron since its all black even underneath but use one on a carbon steel
    pan that is seasoned and you can see where it takes your seasoning off. I have a plastic scraper I use then but if its seasoned good the plastic scraper will be enough. I got this wax recently and its the best thing I have ever found for seasoning. Watch their youtube video for instruction but you put a layer on with a rag then wipe it off with a fresh paper towel then put it in the oven upside down for an hour at 500 then let it cool in the oven. You need to do that 3 times but it works great. This little tub will season a pan probably 30 times for $12.
  • Lit said:
    The chain mail scrubbers scratch your seasoning off. Its not as noticeable when you use cast iron since its all black even underneath but use one on a carbon steel
    pan that is seasoned and you can see where it takes your seasoning off. I have a plastic scraper I use then but if its seasoned good the plastic scraper will be enough. I got this wax recently and its the best thing I have ever found for seasoning. Watch their youtube video for instruction but you put a layer on with a rag then wipe it off with a fresh paper towel then put it in the oven upside down for an hour at 500 then let it cool in the oven. You need to do that 3 times but it works great. This little tub will season a pan probably 30 times for $12.
    You’re right about seeing the seasoning peel on carbon steel, at least in my experience. 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Scrubbers do not scratch seasoning off. Unless you are one of the people who think youtube videos showing ten hours at 400° and hourly rubbings off elf-horn oil are what constitute “seasoning”. 

“Seasoning” is just using the fvcking pan. 

If you can’t cook in an UN-seasoned cast iron pan, than you are a moron. And if you need to buy special ski-wax, and a chamois, and masturbate over your magical twenty-step process, then you are an idiot. 

Ask your grandmother what her seasoning process is. 

I guarantee she didn’t spend ten minutes worrying about it, like some twit (rhymes with “Lit”)with a new skillet he bought from Lodge. 

Your grandmother cooked bacon in it, wiped it, and then put it away 

The “Bro!” culture in cooking has turned from logical practical reality toward instagram-ready  bvllshit. 

• PigBeanUs said:
    Scrubbers do not scratch seasoning off. Unless you are one of the people who think youtube videos showing ten hours at 400° and hourly rubbings off elf-horn oil are what constitute “seasoning”. 

If you can’t cook in an UN-seasoned cast iron pan, than you are a moron. And if you need to buy special ski-wax, and a chamois, and masturbate over your magical twenty-step process, then you are an idiot. 

I guarantee she didn’t spend ten minutes worrying about it, like some twit (rhymes with “Lit”)with a new skillet he bought from Lodge. 

The “Bro!” culture in cooking has turned from logical practical reality toward instagram-ready  bvllshit. 

• Lit
    PigBeanUs said:

What a moron. 
  • Botch
    Elves have horns?  

• PigBeanUs said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    It's almost Friday!
    canuckland
  • PigBeanUs said:

Why do people get excited about getting others to see things their way? Are they thinking theirs is the only true one way to do things?  I happen to agree that just plain ol’ cooking with a pan will get the job done.  I start with bacon, but if somebody else starts with a fried steak, why should I give a crap?  I may not want to eat from a pan that was masterbated over, but I’m sure that was an exaggeration.  Relax.  All is well in the garden.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    PigBeanUs said:

• Lit
    PigBeanUs said:

You know the world has advanced alot over the last 60 years. So much so that we dont have to leave old grease in our cast iron anymore. I know crazy concept for an old man but its true. Wipe the pan down and put it in the oven is alot of work compared to say cooking on it for years and leaving it dirty to hopefully get the same result. So funny how smart you think you are but how dumb you really sound.
  • Lit said:
    PigBeanUs said:

You know the world has advanced alot over the last 60 years. So much so that we dont have to leave old grease in our cast iron anymore. I know crazy concept for an old man but its true. Wipe the pan down and put it in the oven is alot of work compared to say cooking on it for years and leaving it dirty to hopefully get the same result. So funny how smart you think you are but how dumb you really sound.
    Do you realize your cooking with a pan designed, refined, and basically unchanged for well over 100 years?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    Lit said:
    PigBeanUs said:

that reminds me of a beach trip to florida with a girlfriend. little cloud passes over the sun, she starts yelling (somehow this is my fault).  i look up and say 3....2....1....fixed.  this did not help
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    PigBeanUs said:

Do you realize your cooking with a pan designed, refined, and basically unchanged for well over 100 years?
    We are talking about the seasoning process. It has been refined to be much more user friendly like not having to leave grease in your pan when you put it away. Much nicer now but old man wants everyone to do it his way.
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    PigBeanUs said:

I know you are pretty new here but if you look at old posts I used to have a pretty good collection of Griswold pans. Still have a couple including my grandmas I inherited. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Had a guy come into the shop looking for stainless lathe/drill shavings to use for scrubbing pots/pans. Anyway after I explained what they would do to his hand, he went to plan B.
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Has anyone seen my chain mail BVDs? It's Friday, gotta get ready for my knight out.....
  • Lit
    womaus said:
    Has anyone seen my chain mail BVDs? It's Friday, gotta get ready for my knight out.....
    Have you seasoned them? 
  • Lit said:
    Lit said:
    PigBeanUs said:

I know you are pretty new here but if you look at old posts I used to have a pretty good collection of Griswold pans. Still have a couple including my grandmas I inherited. 
    Exactly, noobs never do they’re research.
  • Lit said:
    Lit said:
    PigBeanUs said:

How long do you have to be a bbq forum member before pointing out that senior member is a isadoushe?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.