Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

??? one of those mail chain cast iron pot scrubbers...

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited October 2021 in EggHead Forum
I know this has probably been asked 1 Zillion times, but do you mind answering number 1 Zillion and 1 more?

Tonight I used this brand new 12" Lodge "pre-seasoned" skillet. After washing with hot water I dried it and then sprayed the inside with PAM High TEMP. 

Then I cooked 4"smash" burgers.

The residue was horrible, but with many paper towel pieces along with elbow grease, NO soap and just kosher salt as "grit" along with a new pot scrubber I got it cleaned up!

Stuck it in my oven and hit pre-heat to 425º.

After the oven hit 425º I sprayed the inside with more Pam High Temp and returned the skillet to the oven to cool down overnight as I have done with other of my smaller cast iron pieces.

Then I got to wondering how many here like/use those mail-like steel scrubbers made for cleaning crud off cast iron!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks, Mick, but I assume you still have to drain out the grease first…right? Then add the salt, scrub with that mail chain and rinse…right?
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Don’t use hot water to clean it. 

Let it cool, wipe out grease with paper towel. Clean with steel scrubber. Wipe out the residue with a paper towel leaving a clean film of oil

My grandmother never seasoned a pan in her life. 

She just used it, cleaned it without stripping the seasoning, and let the residual fat keep it from rusting. 

If the pan is very lightly used and had nothing stuck on or any great amount of residue, you can wipe it clean while hot or warm with paper towel. 

I don’t understand the seasoning fetish. No one ever did that foolishness. 

Just use it. 

Never boil liquids in it or clean it with hot water. 

Soap actually doesn’t hurt it if it is properly seasoned, but you don’t need soap anyway. 

• RRP
    Options
    In other words that chain just replaces the hard plastic scrapper I use as I am not catching any other benefit…PLEASE, kind SIR, tell me what I am missing in your sterling endorsement! 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I use the same thing Mickey posted above. While the iron is still hot I run it under hot water and scrub with the product posted above and then wipe dry with a towel. Once complete I sit back on the still hot stove eye until cool. I never re-season either.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Don’t tou guys have dishwashers?

edited October 2021
    Options
    paqman said:
    LOL…I have 2 hands and towels.. which seem better! 

OH you mean that thing under the counter that I only use once or twice a year now? Just being a retiree means not buying green bananas anymore, nor letting 4 plates, 4 knives, 4 forks accumulate into 8, 12 and 16 of each! I’d hate for the corner to tell the obit writer that “we found X plates, X glasses, and  X silverware UNWASHED in Ron’s dishwasher! What a HORRIBLE obit line!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

Let it cool, wipe out grease with paper towel. Clean with steel scrubber. Wipe out the residue with a paper towel leaving a clean film of oil

She just used it, cleaned it without stripping the seasoning, and let the residual fat keep it from rusting. 

If the pan is very lightly used and had nothing stuck on or any great amount of residue, you can wipe it clean while hot or warm with paper towel. 

Just use it. 

Soap actually doesn’t hurt it if it is properly seasoned, but you don’t need soap anyway. 

Wait what?  You say never season it, then say if it is seasoned properly soap will not hurt it...make up your mind!

I recommend seasoning by regular use, not a special process.  I suspect your grandma actually seasoned through regular use as opposed to "never seasoned in her life" as you state.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited October 2021
    Options
    To answer @RRP question, that chain mail scrubber works awesome.

(Not the chain male @nolaegghead talks about from the Netflix movie "The Human Centipede")
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    RRP said:
    paqman said:
    LOL…I have 2 hands and towels.. which seem better! 

OH you mean that thing under the counter that I only use once or twice a year now? Just being a retiree means not buying green bananas anymore, nor letting 4 plates, 4 knives, 4 forks accumulate into 8, 12 and 16 of each! I’d hate for the corner to tell the obit writer that “we found X plates, X glasses, and  X silverware UNWASHED in Ron’s dishwasher! What a HORRIBLE obit line!
    I'm no expert but you might want to run your dishwasher every couple weeks just so your gaskets or hoses don't dry out and crack. I'd hate to see you have a major leak in the house. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I use pinecones on cast iron. Works like a green scotch scrub pad. CHEAP.  Leaves some natural paraffin behind. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I use the chain and love it!  Wipe the grease out with a paper towel, scrub the warm pan under the tap till clean, then I wipe a small amount of oil on the pan and if it’s not warm I put it on the burner for a minute to make sure there is no residual water 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    danhoo said:
    I use pinecones on cast iron. Works like a green scotch scrub pad. CHEAP.  Leaves some natural paraffin behind. 
    Interesting 

Options
    Mickey said:
    Thanks, Mick...I just ordered one!
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

Just use it. 

Wait what?  You say never season it, then say if it is seasoned properly soap will not hurt it...make up your mind!

I recommend seasoning by regular use, not a special process.  I suspect your grandma actually seasoned through regular use as opposed to "never seasoned in her life" as you state.

PigBeanUs said:

Just use it. 

I'm saying, don't "season" by going all fruit cake obsessed twenty coats of japanese hand squeezed whale oil and 400 degree cooks in the oven for weeks on end.

i'm saying that using it and cleaning it and putting it away will be all the seasoning you need.

try to keep up.  you otherwise seem bright, but if I have to answer every question twice for you, this relationship isn't goign to work.

there seem to be a lot of guys in "bbq" with stupid rules.  the green useless rap on a turn in tray, the "meat stops absorbing smoke" foolishness, the "i seasoned my brand new pan twenty times so i could cook an egg" morons.

don't be one of them
  • Slkegger
    Options
    I have some Lodge cast iron. They are pre oiled, if you want to call that seasoned. One wash with soap will remove it and you can re apply oil after a cook for storage so it doesn't rust. Seasoning is when you bake multiple  applications of oil a thigh temp were the oils turns into a polymer (black plastic looking layer) that acts the same as a Teflon coating ( almost totally non stick). From Lodge, your cast iron will be just fine with a coating of oil after a cook and clean, will look more like metal with a potential flavor from that oil or a previous cook, stuff will stick more, and it will need a better cleaning when cooking acidic stuff. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Seasoning debate/discussion aside, if you sand the business side of a Lodge skillet or whatever, it'll make a significant difference.

No need to go nuts with it -  sand with a coarse grit for a few minutes (or more). Rinse. Oil/grease/season/christen with bacon, etc. and it'll be good to go. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    Seasoning debate/discussion aside, if you sand the business side of a Lodge skillet or whatever, it'll make a significant difference.

No need to go nuts with it -  sand with a coarse grit for a few minutes (or more). Rinse. Oil/grease/season/christen with bacon, etc. and it'll be good to go. 
    I was actually debating taking an angle grinder to it to smooth it down. Heretofore for years I have been using an old reconditioned 10" sold by Montgomery Ward so you know how old it is! The bottom of it is smooth and slick, while this new Lodge is "pebbly" at best!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know this has probably been asked 1 Zillion times, but do you mind answering number 1 Zillion and 1 more?

Ron I think you are confusing how many times this question has been asked with how many dollars 💸 you have in the bank 🏦. But that’s a debate for another time my rich 🤑 friend.  

Then I got to wondering how many here like/use those mail-like steel scrubbers made for cleaning crud off cast iron!

I personally like the chain mail scrubbers. They do an excellent job with damaging the pan. 
    With that said, I do not use them except when actually needed to remove debris or heavy residue. For general or light cleaning I stick with a brush. But the chain mail definitely has its place. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:

I personally like the chain mail scrubbers. They do an excellent job with damaging the pan. 

So did you mean that or did you mean They do an excellent job withOUT damaging the pan?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Without damaging 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like my chain mail.  I use for tough stuff.  Usually I can use a bristle brush to clean the pan.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Chain mail for tough stuff built up. Normally use a paper towel and water. Occasionally some soap. Rinse. Back into a hot oven or stove or grill. Apply some crisbee, move on. 

Just use the pan and it gets better. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

I was actually debating taking an angle grinder to it to smooth it down. Heretofore for years I have been using an old reconditioned 10" sold by Montgomery Ward so you know how old it is! The bottom of it is smooth and slick, while this new Lodge is "pebbly" at best!
    5-10 minutes with a sander will take care of it. 

• RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

Then I’ll grab ye’ ol’ random orbital sander and have at it! Might even take a picture or three of before, during and after. 
  • caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

Then I’ll grab ye’ ol’ random orbital sander and have at it! Might even take a picture or three of before, during and after. 
    You just need to sand the “peaks” down a bit. Of course, you could put more effort into sanding it until it’s super smooth, but it’s not necessary. 

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    After a cook when I take the food off, about 50% of the time I’ll throw a piece of CI on the grill and then close up the egg. It’s free residual heat. The egg is a perfect place to condition CI, so much better than a clean oven.

Sometimes I’ll target some CI that needs it; other times??? You are beautiful and all, but you’re goin’ in “just because”.

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    bobroo said:
    After a cook when I take the food off, about 50% of the time I’ll throw a piece of CI on the grill and then close up the egg. It’s free residual heat. The egg is a perfect place to condition CI, so much better than a clean oven.
    You got me wondering.  When you take the food off, you’ve given the inside volume a full blast of oxygen; add the cast iron, close the lid, and here’s what (maybe) happens.  The coals are still hot, so they burn off the new oxygen, creating smoke but ALSO water vapor.  Neither can escape, the Egg cools, it snows overnight, and the trapped water vapor condenses on the cast iron.  Yet another chem reaction.

Is that what really happens?  Possibly, but I’m retired now (and never that good at chemistry) so I’ll let someone else tell us if that’s a possibility.  

Back to coupon clipping and cat videos… :D  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Too scientific for me but why do we all toss the cast iron DFMT (aka daisy wheel) on the cooking grid for the shutdown and beyond... Works for me.  I have never given a thought to any carbon build up concern or removal.  
    But I do have a lawn.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Too scientific for me but why do we all toss the cast iron DFMT (aka daisy wheel) on the cooking grid for the shutdown and beyond... Works for me.  I have never given a thought to any carbon build up concern or removal.  
    But I do have a lawn.   =)
    I’ve just never been in that “toss the cap in” group and have alway wondered who started the idea much less WHY! And btw NONE of my caps which sit out in the rain and snow have ANY rust.