Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ketchup on pizza??????

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Frequently people go nuts when they hear that some folks like ketchup on their hot dogs. 

Today in an article in Parade magazine about pizza it says “more than half of us like ketchup on our pizza” HUH????? :s And “44% of us dip our slices into ranch dressing” HUH????? :s

Guess I wonder what group, where they were located and how large was the group! Or do I lead a sheltered life? :|
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• I must be as sheltered as you. Not something I’ve had, but this site has broaden my view of what might be good. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2021
    Ranch is super common now in Texas with standard pizzas (Pizza Hut, papa johns, etc.). Almost to the point where if you don't ask people look at you weird. Now ketchup on the other hand? Gag!! 🤮 no way almost 50% of people do that.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’ve seen cheeseburger pizzas at some places and they squirt a swirl of ketchup and mustard on it.  And pickles.  Doesn’t appeal to me.
  • Around these parts, coney dogs reign supreme.  For all you unfamiliar with a coney dog, it’s a hotdog in a bun with a chili sauce.  They are frequently served with mustard and raw diced onion.  There’s a restaurant here that makes a coney pizza with the same ingredients and the mustard is a swirl on top.
    I like ketchup, but on pizza?  That’s for kids and the uncouth.
    Flint, Michigan
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    A brewery near me makes great pizza.  They have a hot dog pizza as a tribute to a (locally)  famous hot dog joint.  They put ketchup on it.  I prefer the chicken and waffle pizza.....

You can get a pizza flight to try 8 different slices.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    That sounds gross.  But I do have a friend that has been topping pizza with mustard for years. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Catsup on pizza is yukky :o, Ranch as well
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I have eaten a lot of pizza at the Airliner in Iowa City.  From 1987-1991 they had "dime-draws" on Thursdays.

No political statement, simply pertains to this thread.

https://youtu.be/I0-uDHPEB5g
    Clinton, Iowa
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Dominoes has used ketchup on pizza for years! (As their sauce). 

I don’t like dominoes..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This may not be the time, or place, to mention that caliprince likes to dip pizza in kanch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    can't be as bad as ketchup on a steak!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    loco_engr said:
    LOL - probably 40 years ago - pre BGE - we were at our favorite steak house where ala cart steaks ran $60 to $100. Even with just one drink, no wine and then with tip I always knew a night out there would cost me $200. 

Anyway a local smart *ss attorney and spouse were seated at a nearby table and we saw/heard that they both had ordered a NY strip plus lobster tail…those two meals alone were $300. As soon as they were served he said something to the waiter and he returned with a huge bottle of Heinz. The guy proceeded to cover that steak plus lobster tail with ketchup! GROSS!!!! 

His wife jumped up and as she left she yelled something like” G*D D*MNIT Harry - Go f*ck yourself!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RRP said:
    loco_engr said:
    His wife jumped up and as she left she yelled something like” G*D D*MNIT Harry - Go f*ck yourself!
     Did he have a wondering eye at dinner?

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    loco_engr said:

NO, and maybe I just mislead you. That pr*ck attorney dumped all that ketchup on HIS steak and lobster - not on his wife’s plate!  Trust me - his plate was a gross sight! 

He proceeded to eat some of both of his steak and lobster…seated all by himself! And then the waiter carried off his wife’s picture perfect, but cold untouched plate. 

The guy was a real smuck! 

• RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    loco_engr said:

NO, and maybe I just mislead you. That pr*ck attorney dumped all that ketchup on HIS steak and lobster - not on his wife’s plate!  Trust me - his plate was a gross sight! 

He proceeded to eat some of both of his steak and lobster…seated all by himself! And then the waiter carried off his wife’s picture perfect, but cold untouched plate. 

Crazy story, Ron.  Did that ahole attorney and his wife stay married?  Or did she finally have enough of his ketchup addiction and file for divorce?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    edited October 2021
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    loco_engr said:

Crazy story, Ron.  Did that ahole attorney and his wife stay married?  Or did she finally have enough of his ketchup addiction and file for divorce?
    John, as I recall he died 3 or 4 years later and they were still together. The reason I recall much about him was he was a tenant in our 20 story building. He used to walk thru our lobby on the way to the court house across the street, or headed out to lunch, or staggered back from “”lunch” 2 hours later. Trust me,  I knew he was a real smuck for more reasons than what I have revealed in this thread!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited October 2021
    No disrespect, Ron, but I believe the word your looking for is “schmuck”.  Sticking with the Yiddish, the word “putz” is probably appropriate as well.

edit:  Maybe it was the ketchup that did him in?
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i remember seeing ranch and pizza back 30 or so years ago. it was a ny thing. it didnt go on the pizza, it was to dip the crust in after eating the pizza. i just call it a pizza bone and give the crust to the dog. never saw ketchup on a pizza, someone must be making this up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    we need a thread called disgusting things....heres one, dont even need to try it

brats filled with candy corn

Candy corn brat

fukahwee maine

• we need a thread called disgusting things

Yes, by all means let's start a thread on a bbq forum of disgusting things nobody wants to see, said nobody, ever.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Why on earth would anyone put vinegar on a pizza???

The older I get, the less I understand
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • bobroo said:
    Why on earth would anyone put vinegar on a pizza???

The older I get, the less I understand
    It’s money on a fish and chips pizza.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Our basic tastes - sweet, sour, salty, bitter, savory - are often adjusted on the table with condiments in most all cusines.  Vinegar adds sour (acid) as well as lime or lemon.  Not very weird, not uncommon.  In Louisiana we use hot sauce for sour and it also adds a little picante.
    That said, putting ketchup on a pizza tells me you either don't like pizza or your palate stopped evolving when you were 4 years old.

Ketchup?! um...no thanks. To each their own I guess. 
  • fishlessman
    we need a thread called disgusting things

Yes, by all means let's start a thread on a bbq forum of disgusting things nobody wants to see, said nobody, ever.  

yet here you are, on a thread about disgusting things....or maybe you like candy corn =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    we need a thread called disgusting things

yet here you are, on a thread about disgusting things....or maybe you like candy corn =)

I39M Gonna Hurl GIF - Puke Throwup Dumb And Dumber - Discover amp Share GIFs

Weird condiments on pizza follow the use of weird (non traditional) ingredients.