Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef BBQ

Options
Smoked up pulled beef bbq over the weekend for family, much loved.  A little over 6 hours at 250 then pulled and sauced.  Outstanding.  Apple wood smoked and made better with the steak sauce.  Today after a donation at the blood center I was sipping coffee with the volunteers and a couple of fellow blood donators and the topic of BBQ came up, what we cook on and such.  The gentleman on my left say's "Yeah, one of my favorite things to bbq is pulled beef.  There is this guy named Clay, I use his recipe."  It was then I introduced myself.  He just about fell out of his chair.     

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Great recipe, cook (sweet sandwich right there) and even better story.
    Congrats on going a pint low for society as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Thanks lousubcap.  I got the oldest blood type, can go to anybody that needs it.  Now to keep my fluids up.. is it 5 O'clock yet?  Cheers!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    That. Is. Awesome.

Thanks for posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I hope you grabbed a lottery ticket on the way home!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sir - outstanding, in so many ways.

Kudos for being a blood donor, farkin beautiful sammich, and, lastly, I would have loved to have seen the look on the fella's face when you told him who you were!

I'm yet to do pulled beef. Hope it turns out as good as yours looks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Nice cook Clay . . . what's the steak sauce in the pic?
    Thank You
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Looks just great!  What cut of beef did you use?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Hi buddy!   Wisconsin Husband and Wife team created high quality rubs, sauces that Steak Cookoff Association teams have embraced.  They have a website; CroxValleyFoods.com   A product that improves beef I'm interested in.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Very cool story!

I have been meaning to do Clays pulled beef for years and just havent gotten around to it. Thanks for sharing. 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    As as a long time fan of your (ClayQ) egging and baking skills much less admirer of your astounding woodworking talents I too can attest to the great taste of your pulled beef recipe!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Great cook and story!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Had a heck of a time trying to find Clay's Pulled Beef recipe (thought I had on my hard drive  :|)

Clay's Pulled beef BBQ

• 3 Choice chuck roasts

• 10 Strips of good bacon

• 1 Cup About a cup of tomato based BBQ sauce

• 1/3 Cup Real maple syrup

• 2/3 Cup Water

• 1 Tbs Dizzy Pig Cow Lick

• 3 Tbs Peanut oil

Set the beef out on the table and rub with peanut oil and then spice, (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick).

Fire up the egg and stabilize at 250 degrees dome. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook. Set up is indirect, platesetter feet up, grid on platesetter, drip pan and v rack on grid. At this time leave the grid off.

Stage one; Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan. Lay bacon on top of beef. Lift platesetter enough to throw a handful of hickory chips on burning lump. Place grid in egg and set in the pan with beef. Cook for about 5 hours and when beef is 160 internal remove from egg.

Stage two; In a No.12 Dutch oven, oil inside with peanut oil, remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef. Making sure the meat probe is inserted in the meat, put the lid on and return to the egg and set on top of platesetter after removing grid. Be careful not to have the dome temp over 250. Cook for about 2 hours, until beef is 215 internal and remove from egg.

Stage three; Set the beef out on a tray to rest while you drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later. Discard bacon. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork. Remove gristle and fat as you pull. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add your favorite sauce. Taste test. Now skim fat from juice. and return juice to the beef. Taste test. Ok, let’s go back to the egg. Lift platesetter and throw hickory chips on burning lump and return Dutch oven to smoke with the cast iron lid off. Cook for about 1 and ½ hours. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250.

HTH

note: How many quarts is a 12 Dutch oven?

8 Quarts

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks Ron!  Building shoe racks for closet door.  Tired of digging out my shoes from the floor.  Sold a large egg to a buddy, now down to 4 eggs.   
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Clay Q said:
    Thanks Ron!  Building shoe racks for closet door.  Tired of digging out my shoes from the floor.  Sold a large egg to a buddy, now down to 4 eggs.   
    LOL…I’m sure your design of said shoe racks will put even the best craftsman’s ideas to shame much less YOUR workmanship to boot! You da man!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Loco_engr, yup there it is the recipe.  My advice to anyone is go ahead and simplify or change rub if you have a preference because it's almost like smokin a pork butt only using chuck roast other than beef goes into the plateau around 150 degrees where pork goes in around 160.  This last cook I cut the fat and connective tissue out of the big chuck ahead of smoking.    
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Outstanding!  I need to try this.  Well done on the blood donation.   As someone who has had blood transfusions I can tell you it is so important and appreciated.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Good seeing you around Clay, great story. It has been on my to do list but decent chuck roasts (we call blade roasts) are harder to find and pricier than brisket here ☹️
    canuckland
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Thank you Clay for your recipe.  My family and friends love it.  I have made it several times. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Old school. Love it. Nice to see you post. I stole your technique to make chuckle barbacoa many years ago. We still make it all the time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    That is a great story Clay.  I’ve been using your pulled beef recipe for years.  Everyone just loves the flavors.  I add half of a diced granny smith apple. Someone on the forum suggested this, and I like it.  

Cheers! 

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin