Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting to high temp with convector in

Options
I am baking bread that requires I need to pre-heat the dutch oven to 450. I am using the convector also. My problem is that it takes FOREVER to get the temp to 450. Gets to about 350 and holds. I have all vents wide open. Any ideas? Does the dutch oven and convector have anything to do with it? 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    The above reads like it eventually gets to 450*F.  What size BGE  and how long to get there?  Make sure you have plenty of fuel as you have a lot of ceramic and the dutch oven to get to temperature.  Light in several places as any BGE with full air flow (no restrictions on the fuel grid) will get there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokygolfer
    Options
    Large BGE. Temp was at 350 when I put the convector and dutch oven in. It's been over and hour and temp is 430. Not sure it's ever going to get to 450. It's always easy to get to high temp without convector. Fire box was nearly full when I started.  As you suggest, maybe I need to light in several places. Frustrating.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    There are also issues which can also affect reaching higher temperatures - I mean 600 700 is no great shakes.  

A seldom mentioned problem is ash build up around the perimeter between your outer shell and the fire box. Those holes can and will clog preventing air from getting clear around the base of a fire. 

And of course the standard question of have you calibrated your dome thermometer lately?

And are you using a daisy on top?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have been known to stick a hair dryer up my egg's skirt to boost the temp.  Take the top vent off or open it all the way and let the hair dryer rip.  If it still doesn't get there, you have ashes blocking airflow.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2021
    Options
    If you don’t already, put the convector plate in legs down. This will give you more room for lump and extra airflow. 
    Also double check to see if the fire box lower air hole is lined up with vent in the base.
    Also helps if you lite your fire in at least 2, even 3 spots when you want to reach higher temps.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2021
    Options
    BTW, if you are making the rustic camp bread, it’s fun to make in the Egg. But if you’re doing it at home, it’s much easier to make in the oven. And I haven’t noticed any benefits from doing in the Egg. In my standard oven, I can fit 3 at once. 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TheBreeze
    Options
    You are putting the convector in too early.

If you are having trouble getting up to and keeping a high temp cooking indirect, you need to first establish a better fire and higher heat before putting the other items in the grill.  When you put the convector and the dutch oven in, they both absorb heat and reduce airflow - both killers for a hot fire.

What others said are good tips, but also try first building a really good fire and get the entire egg hot.  If you are trying to cook indirect at 450, get the grill to at least that temp and then put the convector in.  Let the convector absorb the heat and get the egg hot again, and when the grill temp again gets back up to 450, put the dutch oven in. 

You may not always have to do it like this but if you are having trouble try higher established temps and multiple stages.  

• iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    To add to the above (which was actually a lot more information than anyone else ever gave me on the matter), I was advised by my egg dealer to let the temp get about 60°C or 140°F above your target temp and then get the conveggtor and grate in there.

In my experience this has worked very well, but adding it with more gear (for example a pizza stone) will require you to go up to at least 80°C or 175°F above target. This will normally get you around the desired temp in a relatively short time. 

Never ever get it in there when you have only just breached 210°F, there is no longer wait possible to get up to your pizza baking temp, :|
  • Canadianegger2020
    Options
    Yeah as others have said , I would let the temp get way up with out the plate in then put the plate on and watch it drop. 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Plenty of good advice given here already. One thing I will add is don’t be afraid to add lump clear up to the top of the fire ring. It is ok to push down on the lump some when putting in the indirect plate. And as already mentioned, leave the daisy wheel off completely. I rarely ever use mine, only if I’m doing a low and slow cook. 
    NW IOWA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the top vent doesnt need to be fully open, it needs to be sitting on the ground. remove it from the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I will go with restricted airflow.  Try removing all ash, build your charcoal with larger pieces at the bottom.  Fire up at the top and the fire will burn down through the lump towards the source of air for a solid hot fire.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Been there many times. Now I know. Fill to bottom of fire ring and hump a little in middle. Needs room to breath between setter and lump pile. Let all the lump get lit by lighting in 3-4 places and leave the dome open 10-15min. Close dome and go another 5 min wide open to 500f. Put platesetter in and leave wide open till 400f. Close bottom vent to half. At 450f close bottom vent to around 1 pinky nail width. Leave cap open or off. 30min, 450f, no voc's. Platesetter legs up or down.