Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Getting to high temp with convector in

I am baking bread that requires I need to pre-heat the dutch oven to 450. I am using the convector also. My problem is that it takes FOREVER to get the temp to 450. Gets to about 350 and holds. I have all vents wide open. Any ideas? Does the dutch oven and convector have anything to do with it? 

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 24,190
    The above reads like it eventually gets to 450*F.  What size BGE  and how long to get there?  Make sure you have plenty of fuel as you have a lot of ceramic and the dutch oven to get to temperature.  Light in several places as any BGE with full air flow (no restrictions on the fuel grid) will get there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • Large BGE. Temp was at 350 when I put the convector and dutch oven in. It's been over and hour and temp is 430. Not sure it's ever going to get to 450. It's always easy to get to high temp without convector. Fire box was nearly full when I started.  As you suggest, maybe I need to light in several places. Frustrating.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 24,055
    There are also issues which can also affect reaching higher temperatures - I mean 600 700 is no great shakes.  

A seldom mentioned problem is ash build up around the perimeter between your outer shell and the fire box. Those holes can and will clog preventing air from getting clear around the base of a fire. 

And of course the standard question of have you calibrated your dome thermometer lately?

And are you using a daisy on top?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Langner91Langner91 Posts: 557
    I have been known to stick a hair dryer up my egg's skirt to boost the temp.  Take the top vent off or open it all the way and let the hair dryer rip.  If it still doesn't get there, you have ashes blocking airflow.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 11,105
    edited September 13
    If you don’t already, put the convector plate in legs down. This will give you more room for lump and extra airflow. 
    Also double check to see if the fire box lower air hole is lined up with vent in the base.
    Also helps if you lite your fire in at least 2, even 3 spots when you want to reach higher temps.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 11,105
    edited September 13
    BTW, if you are making the rustic camp bread, it’s fun to make in the Egg. But if you’re doing it at home, it’s much easier to make in the oven. And I haven’t noticed any benefits from doing in the Egg. In my standard oven, I can fit 3 at once. 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas