Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs in 3 hours

Iv cooked around 6 racks of ribs and I think I finally found a keeper!
I pulled the membrane, used mustard as a binder, added Jack Linsey’s “All Q’ued Up” rub and put them on the BGE at 320-350 dome temperature with some apple wood chunks. Cooked for 1 hour 45 min then pulled and wrapped in foil packet with ACV, honey, and butter. Let that cook for 45 min then uncovered for another 30 min for a total of 3 hours! They weren’t fall off the bone but still very tender with just the right amount of chewiness! 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I’m not a foiler but those look great!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Look good! I ALWAYS egg both spares as well as BB at that tempature, BUT never foil them. Try that next time and they actually should be more tender.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    Look good! I ALWAYS egg both spares as well as BB at that tempature, BUT never foil them. Try that next time and they actually should be more tender.
    I’ve used this method the last several racks I’ve done.  I am a believer.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    I'm puzzled...so you are  agreeing with me, or agreeing with the OP and his use of foil?
  • Honestly I only foil them because Iv seen others do it on here. What is the benefit of not foiling? I’ll definitely try it out next time.
  • RRP
    edited September 2021
    phalter said:
    Honestly I only foil them because Iv seen others do it on here. What is the benefit of not foiling? I’ll definitely try it out next time.
    Personally I have ALWAYS found  foiling wil cause my ribs to turn mushy and then the nasty grease inside needs too much attention! UNLESS  I watch them TOO carefully!!!! But at that point I really don't want to have to be quite that attentive! 
  • RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I'm puzzled...so you are  agreeing with me, or agreeing with the OP and his use of foil?
    Agreeing.  3 hours or a little more @ 300 no wrap.  
    Memphis  
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Ok, what is "ACV"?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    loco_engr said:
    Ok, what is "ACV"?
    Apple Cider Vinegar, made by the Dickens Cider Company 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have you tried 100 minutes Turbo?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)

350  indirect for 1hr 40 min. 

Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 

Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 

Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

IMG_1310JPG

IMG_0687JPG

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)

350  indirect for 1hr 40 min. 

Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 

Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 

Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

IMG_1310JPG

IMG_0687JPG

This.   Always.
  • phalter said:
    Iv cooked around 6 racks of ribs and I think I finally found a keeper!
    I pulled the membrane, used mustard as a binder…..
    What do you mean by “used mustang as a binder”? What is the mustard binding? 

Those ribs look great! 
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Those look mighty good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    edited September 2021
    phalter said:
    Honestly I only foil them because Iv seen others do it on here. What is the benefit of not foiling? I’ll definitely try it out next time.
    If you get the temp and timing on foiling right, you will have a rib that still holds to the bone, but you bite down into the most tender piece of pork you can imagine.  

That is the main reason to foil ... you'd never get the same tenderness without it ...

My method is 2.5h (smoking) indirect uncovered, 1.0h to 1.5h in foil (tenderizing), and 20 to 30 minutes indirect uncovered (I usually just open the foil and leave them in the foil on the grill) for glazing ... apply 3 coats of glaze every 5 to 8 minutes.  All done at 275F (which is why the cook times are longer than the OP).

That's the best recipe I've found. You get a perfect balance of taste (smokiness, and glaze) along with tenderness.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

• That is the main reason to foil ... you'd never get the same tenderness without it ...
    Perhaps you can’t.  
    Memphis  

• Not on the BGE as I don’t have a rotisserie attachment for it. 

I sometimes do ribs on the kettle rotisserie at 350-375 for about 1:30-1:45 Dijon mustard and rub of choice. They baste in their own rendered fat and are pretty dang good.

If you have a rotisserie I strongly recommend giving this technique a try.

• That is the main reason to foil ... you'd never get the same tenderness without it ...
    Perhaps you can’t.  
    To each his/her own.  I know what works consistently with my cooks. I believe in the philosophy ... a nicely sealed foil acts like a pressure cooker, and will tenderize the meat will keeping it juicy ... without the foil, I don't believe you can get the same result.

• That looks incredible!

Perhaps you can’t.  
    To each his/her own.  I know what works consistently with my cooks. I believe in the philosophy ... a nicely sealed foil acts like a pressure cooker, and will tenderize the meat will keeping it juicy ... without the foil, I don't believe you can get the same result.
    Hey, I believe you when you state you can’t get the same result.  

Memphis  
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406

That is the main reason to foil ... you'd never get the same tenderness without it ...
    Perhaps you can’t.  
    Nothing like steamed, mushy meat. Might as well boil them before smoking them. Like you said, to each his own!!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    gamason said:

Perhaps you can’t.  
    Nothing like steamed, mushy meat. Might as well boil them before smoking them. Like you said, to each his own!!
    You absolutely get mushy texture if you keep them in the foil too long. If you remove them prior to that state you get moist flavorful ribs. It definitely requires some experimentation and practice. You also get the opportunity to introduce additional flavor profiles and you definitely retain moisture. It’s a risk worth trying at a minimum. Not something that is for ease of cook. The egg is also a unique cooker that retains far more moisture than other cookers. It’s not something I do very often when using the egg. I definitely think the spares are better suited for this concept as they have so much additional fat that requires rendering. There are so many ways to cook ribs. Heck try them all and find what you like. Enjoy the journey. 
  • RRP
    gamason said:

Perhaps you can’t.  
    You absolutely get mushy texture if you keep them in the foil too long. If you remove them prior to that state you get moist flavorful ribs. It definitely requires some experimentation and practice. You also get the opportunity to introduce additional flavor profiles and you definitely retain moisture. It’s a risk worth trying at a minimum. Not something that is for ease of cook. The egg is also a unique cooker that retains far more moisture than other cookers. It’s not something I do very often when using the egg. I definitely think the spares are better suited for this concept as they have so much additional fat that requires rendering. There are so many ways to cook ribs. Heck try them all and find what you like. Enjoy the journey. 
    Gotta agree with you, Pete, or should I call you “stranger” since you have been MIA for quite a while?🤓
    My hint is one of safety as I prefer spares way more over baby backs. But with all that additional fat to be rendered in the foil then the newbies need to know the risk when opening foil as the hot grease can burn a person badly and make a real mess on tables and decks! 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452

That looks incredible!
    Thanks. We usually foil the ribs but this came out almost as tender as foiled, the self basting worked well. Started at 300, temp crept up to 350 when done three hours later.
    canuckland
  • Mark_B_Good
    gamason said:

Perhaps you can’t.  
    Not steamed and mushy at all. It's all about timing. My family will take my ribs over most rib-fests. Man, you guys sure know how to be dramatic. LOL. It's like ... foil ... oh my goodness, you'll nuke them to oblivion ... like chill, there is always a balance.
  • Mark_B_Good
    edited October 2021

Perhaps you can’t.  

Neither can "you" LOL ... it's two different processes. It's technically impossible to get the exact same result ... LOL. But perhaps I'm being more picky than you.

Perhaps you can’t.  

Neither can "you" LOL ... it's two different processes. It's technically impossible to get the exact same result ... LOL. But perhaps I'm being more picky than you.
    I have no problem with foil.  However, you stated twice that one can’t get tender ribs without foil and that is absolutely incorrect—especially when it comes to cooking in an Egg.
    Memphis  
  • Jek
    Jek Posts: 37
    I'm doing baby back ribs on my Small today.  The plan is 1 hr, add peach preserves, another hour (2 hrs total), foil boat them for 1 hr, add sauce and let tack up for 15-30 min.

I'm still refining & learning.  I thought they were my best last time.
    Small BGE // Wisconsin