Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax owners: PSA pertaining to the carrier handle.

Options
1235»

Comments

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    Mine broke while carrying it and I'm 'lucky' enough to have a stomach that caught it.  I took a piece of 1/8" steel, cut it kinda lika circle then welded it drilled and tapped, now it holds like a champ
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    dopey said:
    Mine broke while carrying it and I'm 'lucky' enough to have a stomach that caught it.  I took a piece of 1/8" steel, cut it kinda lika circle then welded it drilled and tapped, now it holds like a champ
    Nice bike in the background! Zx-14r? I've never tapped and am too lazy to buy the tools and material.
    Austin, Tx
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I haven't had an issue w/ my MM yet but usually use 2 folks to carry it anyways.  Could it be when you carry it by yourself the weight is not distributed evenly on the handles (usually hold it against your body making the MM be angled)?  Not sure just throwing that out there...I will definitely keep an eye on mine now!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • thatguy662
    thatguy662 Posts: 24
    Options
    I hate carrying mine by myself and this always crosses my mind. Smashing my toe and shattering my egg.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I bought one of these to move my egg from the shed to my backyard counter when I use it.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/19-in-x-29-in-folding-platform-truck-62211.html
    I have about a 40' walk if carrying it. Most times no one is around to help carry it.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    My handle is splitting even if i tighten it. Happened first day out of the box
    H1.jpg 166.4K
    H2.jpg 165.4K
    Austin, Tx
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options

The handles and hardware were changed very early in production, so you may have one of the few first generation handles --  your dealer can look with you to see or you can also check by unscrewing the handles. 

If the handles and screws match those in the image on right (see image below), then you have first generation handles, and BGE will be happy to send you an upgrade at no cost.  

Please email us and request the upgrade at 
    Customer-Support@BigGreenEgg.com, with "handle upgrade" in subject line. 

Be sure to provide your name, address, date purchased, name and location of authorized dealer.  

Thank you.

updated picture

@The_Buffalo As you recommended, I sent an email to BGE Customer Support on Oct 20 with the requested info for the upgrade MiniMax handles.  I still haven't received a response from BGE.  Is there anything else I need to do?
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options

The handles and hardware were changed very early in production, so you may have one of the few first generation handles --  your dealer can look with you to see or you can also check by unscrewing the handles. 

If the handles and screws match those in the image on right (see image below), then you have first generation handles, and BGE will be happy to send you an upgrade at no cost.  

Please email us and request the upgrade at 
    Customer-Support@BigGreenEgg.com, with "handle upgrade" in subject line. 

Be sure to provide your name, address, date purchased, name and location of authorized dealer.  

Thank you.

updated picture

@The_Buffalo As you recommended, I sent an email to BGE Customer Support on Oct 20 with the requested info for the upgrade MiniMax handles.  I still haven't received a response from BGE.  Is there anything else I need to do?
    @The_Buffalo thanks so much for closing the loop on my request.  BGE Customer Service contacted me this morning and informed me that the upgraded MiniMax handles were on the way.  Really appreciate the assist!
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    And what if you have the long screw on the left but the handle on the right, as I do? Does that still need to be replaced? 

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Yes as it is the insert that pops loose.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    And what if you have the long screw on the left but the handle on the right, as I do? Does that still need to be replaced? 

@HofstraJet If you don't have the MiniMax upgraded handles then you can request them from BGE Customer Service at no cost to you.  Below is the link for instructions from @The_Buffalo on how to make the request via email.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1977726#Comment_1977726

I just received my upgraded handles from BGE.  It didn't take that long and Customer Service was very responsive.  Hope this helps.

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    For what it's worth I sent an email to the customer support address a week ago and never heard anything. Today I called customer support and was told the replacement handles would be shipped to.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    The handles on my MM finally failed. Hopefully the mothership is still offering the free upgrade. I’m glad I remembered this thread.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:
    The handles on my MM finally failed. Hopefully the mothership is still offering the free upgrade. I’m glad I remembered this thread.

Well, customer service at the mothership is alive and well. Received an acknowledgment email yesterday, and an order notification today. 

Expect to have the new handles in a couple days. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    @CTMike - Thank you for reviving this thread, it was the impetus for me to contact the mothership. Emailed them on the 11th, Duane from customer service reached out to me on the 13th requesting photos of my Minimax handles. Replied the same day with the requested photos, both left and right side. Got an email at 2:18pm today showing my Order Acknowledgement so the Replacement  Handle Kit is on the way. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    @SamIAm2, were your handles splitting out, or did you do this as a preventive measure?

I have old style handles, but they are in good shape and I rarely, if ever, carry it. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    @SamIAm2, were your handles splitting out, or did you do this as a preventive measure?

I have old style handles, but they are in good shape and I rarely, if ever, carry it. 
    Purely preventive measure. Bought the Minimax over 6 years ago and figured it made sense to do the upgrade now instead of waiting for bad things to happen.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • CTMike
    Options
    Customer service may be alive and well, but their shipping department could use a little help. Seems they are just estimating shipping charges and expecting the customer to pay the difference. 

$2.69 is chump change, but the hassle of getting the pink notice in the mail box, going to the PO to pay and pick up sucks. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.