Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax owners: PSA pertaining to the carrier handle.

Options

Comments

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    What i originally asked and i might have said @Sea2Ski was my friend LOL
    ". I had a concern regarding my Mini-Max carrier/handle. Attached should be a picture showing the screw end or bolt detaches from the actual carrier for the Minimax. This happened to my friend and mine felt loose as well and I haven’t moved the my Minimax since I noticed this and was concerned the my egg would fall and shatter if the handles are prone to breaking in this manner. Is there any way to prevent this? I don’t want my egg to fall and break and then be told I am at fault but no guarantee coverage. Many other Mini-Max owners I have talked to are very concerned as well and are looking into the Egg Carten or some other alternative."

Austin, Tx
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @bgeaddikt. Thats cool. You can call me a friend.  And thanks for the info!

Whoohoo!  I have a friend on the interweb! :joy:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    And I am not sure I will go get a new carrier.  If others are having issues, what is to say I will not get another bad one. Odds are low, probably  super low, but if @pescadorzih can get me something made that positively and permanently fixes it, I will go that route. I mean why not?  
    Large and MiniMax

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree.  
    This is a simple and cheap diy mod guys.
    Fix the issue, and carry on.  
    Whining to BGE isn't going to be much help at this point.  What do you expect them to do?  Mod it for you? 

I have a ton of things, too many to list, I've made better along the way.  It's what we do.  This isn't hard folks.  Most would laugh at my tools and equipment, or lack thereof.  But it gets the job done.

Yeah it's a little more money, and time, fixing something that you felt shouldve already been addressed.  But it's a better,and safer, product doing so.  I find reward, in that.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    And I am not sure I will go get a new carrier.  If others are having issues, what is to say I will not get another bad one. Odds are low, probably  super low, but if @pescadorzih can get me something made that positively and permanently fixes it, I will go that route. I mean why not?  
    Check your inbox.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Focker said:
    Legume said:
    Looks like a weekend project coming up!  Thanks
    You need to cut down a couple of wood baseball bats handles for yours.  Think of the kids Jason, think of the kids. 
    Was looking at a wood bat for my boy the other day.

Everything is so light, too light for good swing mechanics IMO and fosters bad habit development down the road.  Don't like the 2 3/4" barrels at age 6-8 either.  -12, -13 is crazy.  Wood was -9 and $60....not cheap.

Had to opt for the -12 31"er.  He didn't want wood, and crushed a double into left with the whiffle bat second AB.  So what do I know. Lol
    Ordered decent wood bats for my boys years ago that they used for batting lessons, cage work.  They hated the weight at first but got used to it.  The instant feedback on the quality of contact is invaluable - better than a coach saying it looked like this or that.  They switched off practicing with those and their game bats that had a bigger drop.
  • Focker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Legume said:
    Focker said:
    Legume said:
    Looks like a weekend project coming up!  Thanks
    You need to cut down a couple of wood baseball bats handles for yours.  Think of the kids Jason, think of the kids. 
    Was looking at a wood bat for my boy the other day.

Everything is so light, too light for good swing mechanics IMO and fosters bad habit development down the road.  Don't like the 2 3/4" barrels at age 6-8 either.  -12, -13 is crazy.  Wood was -9 and $60....not cheap.

Had to opt for the -12 31"er.  He didn't want wood, and crushed a double into left with the whiffle bat second AB.  So what do I know. Lol
    Ordered decent wood bats for my boys years ago that they used for batting lessons, cage work.  They hated the weight at first but got used to it.  The instant feedback on the quality of contact is invaluable - better than a coach saying it looked like this or that.  They switched off practicing with those and their game bats that had a bigger drop.
    The feel and sound of a good hit is undeniable.  As a young Card fan, I was forced to watch WGN and Harry Carey growing up.  My favorite Cub by a long shot, was Mark Grace.  No batting gloves.  Had a sweet stroke.  He didn't go yard, but you knew he would make solid contact.  He'd put his shoulder down at home plate.  Good glove on 1st.  Good guy all around.  Hustled.  First guy off the bench for a brawl.  Played the game like it should be played.  At Busch, we applaud good efforts, by both teams.  Mark has my utmost respect.  At Wrigley the drunks throw the ball back on the field.  A league of their own at the friendly confines. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I missed this thread sorry for the late reply. 
    Yah I ditched the stock handles the moment I opened the box as I new they would fail. 
    Anthing solid will work I just wouldn't use wood
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    2 of the 4 screws on my MM handles are stripped. Easy fix. see attached image

https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/27410600491/
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    @Focker hopefully you never had to hear Mark Grace the announcer when he was calling games for D-Backs.  Better you remember him as a player.
  • Focker
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Focker hopefully you never had to hear Mark Grace the announcer when he was calling games for D-Backs.  Better you remember him as a player.
    Oh man.
    Isn't he a coach with them now?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    So the fix is a longer screw? 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    yljkt said:

If you look close you can see in the picture on the left it not only has a longer bolt but also a much better welded star nut on the handle. It looks like a good fix to me.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• egger ave
    edited June 2016
    Options
    One handle was stripped too. Two threads holding the handle on one end. I installed my fix; 1/4"X20 threaded rod, SS cap nuts, washers, locktite. Had to drill out the holes in the handle for 1/4" rod and cut to length. Big C-Clamp to hold the bracket when I measured the length of the rod.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/26874282434/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/27452498766/
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 459
    Options
    yljkt said:
    not just the screw, handle itself is different at the end where screw goes in.
    different welding process.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • egger ave
    edited June 2016
    Options
    FIXED! I used a threaded 1/4" X 20 tpi rod cut to 7" long after I realized the the handle was stripped. Easy project. The big c-clamp took the tension off.  Less than $17.00 in parts, $300 for tools.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/26879748443/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/27388907772/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/27453477396/

Albert Einstein
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Unfortunately, I had the "new" handle failed me. The part that failed was the welded 6 pointed "nut" that the bolt feeds into.  If you look at that part, the whole thing snapped out, and the welds failed.  According to the picture that is to be welded in the handle, on mine, it is on the screw. 

Large and MiniMax

• Focker
    Options
    egger ave said:
    FIXED! I used a threaded 1/4" X 20 tpi rod cut to 7" long after I realized the the handle was stripped. Easy project. The big c-clamp took the tension off.  Less than $17.00 in parts, $300 for tools.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/26879748443/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/27388907772/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_in_texas/27453477396/
    BOOM.  DONE
    Nice work.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Unfortunately, I had the "new" handle failed me. The part that failed was the welded 6 pointed "nut" that the bolt feeds into.  If you look at that part, the whole thing snapped out, and the welds failed.  According to the picture that is to be welded in the handle, on mine, it is on the screw. 

Looks like second gen is a failure too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Yes it sure does. Not sure why they just don't use solid round stock and tap it out, especially considering what the cost of mm is. I'm sure it's well within the budget. 
  • egger ave
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Center punch it, drill it out if you have too or don't use it. Can you use a cap nut and rod like I did?

Albert Einstein
  • yljkt
    Options
    This is why why I asked Buffalo breath if the solution was a longer screw. I have a habit of buying older Harleys and restoring and selling them. The factory solution is usually a band-aid. As is this. I'll hand turn some handles and figure it out. Sad that I have to as expensive as the damn thing was tho. Forever to get to market, and still issues? Really? 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @egger ave yes, I think I have a fix already figured out.   I think I am going to be in fine shape. Thanks.

Still bugs me though....  $599 MSRP for a 13" grill, and you get short cuts on certain  critical parts. They have to know that there is going to be some good stress at that point when carrying it at a weight of 80+ lbs.  You would think they would make the handles rock solid, and if anything over build them.

I also wonder if an egg broke due to this, if they would replace the whole thing. I mean, it seems like a warrantied part failed resulting in breakage.
    Thankfully, I heard/felt a pop and got it to the table safely, but I still question that.

Large and MiniMax

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Ok so we have 1 second gen failure that did not cause a broken egg! I'm sure BGE will get a replacement for it at no cost. I could see some alarm if we had at least one broken Mini Max from this but we don't even have evidence of one broken egg, just a broken handle. Certainly a lot of home remedies that could fix the one broken handle but this is not a big deal for sure. The fact that the handle failure did not result in a broken egg is evidence enough for me that it's just a very limited slight problem. Let all of the Mini Max owners relax and just enjoy egging on our Eggs.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• yljkt
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @egger ave yes, I think I have a fix already figured out.   I think I am going to be in fine shape. Thanks.

Still bugs me though....  $599 MSRP for a 13" grill, and you get short cuts on certain  critical parts. They have to know that there is going to be some good stress at that point when carrying it at a weight of 80+ lbs.  You would think they would make the handles rock solid, and if anything over build them.

I also wonder if an egg broke due to this, if they would replace the whole thing. I mean, it seems like a warrantied part failed resulting in breakage.
    Thankfully, I heard/felt a pop and got it to the table safely, but I still question that.

Well it would break your foot easily. Lands wrong and shards could easily cut others. Or take out an eye. Guess I'll be working on mine to ensure safety. Pretty much unacceptable. So much for R and D. 
  • egger ave
    Options
    Ok so we have 1 second gen failure that did not cause a broken egg! I'm sure BGE will get a replacement for it at no cost. I could see some alarm if we had at least one broken Mini Max from this but we don't even have evidence of one broken egg, just a broken handle. Certainly a lot of home remedies that could fix the one broken handle but this is not a big deal for sure. The fact that the handle failure did not result in a broken egg is evidence enough for me that it's just a very limited slight problem. Let all of the Mini Max owners relax and just enjoy egging on our Eggs.
    It's more than one 1st and 2nd gen mini max. The handle on mine came apart this morning by twisting the handle. I have heard the same thing about millions of air bags, steering hardware on Subaru's and emissions on my VW diesel. The list goes on and on. In my experience, most mfrs are concerned about liability first then everything else. I can pursue this with the mother ship now that I can move my mini-max safely.  Your mileage and BGE may vary of course!

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    Options
    Replacement handle kits are available from the mothership.

Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @egger ave your mod looks like it takes care of the problem. Filed away for future reference.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.