Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Pellet Grill

Options

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW I noticed the SmokeFire is $200 off now until November. 
    SmokeFire | Weber Grills

I don't own a pellet smoker but one thing that seems nice about this one is it does appear to do a good job at direct cooking/searing. I know they had a lot of issues but as someone else mentioned the Gen2 seems to have addressed some of the original problems. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    I like my rec teq bull. You lose some Smokey flavor but it’s as easy as it gets. 

1 2nd that on the smoke flavor, just dont get much off my Rec Tec either. More at lower temps
    I haven’t tried adding a pellet tray yet but I will next cook. The smokier the better for me and straight pellets arent doing enough. 
    I have both tray and tube and I use one on next cook. I want to a big batch of wings and freeze for future frying.
    Hope you let us know how much smoke it adds.
     Thanks 

I will, just dont use often now. Did a prime rib roast , whole chicken and a Pork tenderloin this weekend but didnt fire up the pellet cooker. My brake press had a motor burn out so couldnt bend your cover, back up and running so it should go today or tomorrow
    Thanks for the info and everything else!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The price has more than doubled since these came out a few years ago. However if money is of little concern they definitely warrant your attention. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    I like my rec teq bull. You lose some Smokey flavor but it’s as easy as it gets. 

1 2nd that on the smoke flavor, just dont get much off my Rec Tec either. More at lower temps
    I haven’t tried adding a pellet tray yet but I will next cook. The smokier the better for me and straight pellets arent doing enough. 
    I have both tray and tube and I use one on next cook. I want to a big batch of wings and freeze for future frying.
    Hope you let us know how much smoke it adds.
     Thanks 

I will, just dont use often now. Did a prime rib roast , whole chicken and a Pork tenderloin this weekend but didnt fire up the pellet cooker. My brake press had a motor burn out so couldnt bend your cover, back up and running so it should go today or tomorrow
    Just shear it and weld the bend....just kidding. Ton of work.

Since I'm a charcoal guy, gotta to point to one alternative that's the same price and ease.....Masterbuilt Gravity series.  The 800 comes with a griddle too.  Pretty sweet set up.  You can hit higher temps, use less fuel, and have the option of cooking without the smoke that you will always have from pellets.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited September 2021
    Options
    For those curious about the smokiness of pellets, I will say that a pellet made from 100% of the wood species you are wanting, yields a much more stronger smoke profile. 
    I use and recommended:
    https://bbqpelletsonline.com/

Lumberjack produces 100% named species and blended pellets as well.
    I use 100% Hickory most of the time. I will use 100% cherry and apple and pecan when they are available- They tend to be harder to get. The 100% Hickory are generally always available.

100% pellets tend to produce a little more ash and some say the heat produced is a little less consistent. It has been reported that 100% Hickory pellets can over smoke the meat by some people, I haven't experienced this. If there is any tendency to over smoke, it can be controlled by adjusting the cooking temp to achieve the smoke profile you are looking for.

If Lumberjack pellets are not available in your area, you can of course order individual bags, but shipping can be cost prohibitive. It is more economical to get a group buy together with people in your area. Lumberjack maintains a group buy list and will facilitate the purchase and freight delivery. Last time I ordered I bought 1000# in 20# bags.    
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Since I'm a charcoal guy, gotta to point to one alternative that's the same price and ease.....Masterbuilt Gravity series.  The 800 comes with a griddle too.  Pretty sweet set up.  You can hit higher temps, use less fuel, and have the option of cooking without the smoke that you will always have from pellets.
    Never seen one in action. What is the fan noise and sparks like?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    My uncle is obsessed with his.  He loves it.  I don't know much more than that.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I cooked on one briefly a couple weeks ago.  They have their flaws, but pretty much functionally a pellet cooker that uses lump.

Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I cooked on one briefly a couple weeks ago.  They have their flaws, but pretty much functionally a pellet cooker that uses lump.

How are the sparks coming out of the cooker. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

How are the sparks coming out of the cooker. 
    Definitely were there.  I didn't think much about it because the smoke was drifting right into everyone's faces.  A drunk guy held a box fan for about an hour to push it away.  The whole thing was post storm on generator.

Owner said the fans are notorious for failing. 

edited December 2021
    Options
    Pulled trigger on a Smokefire EX4 on impulse at a big box yesterday, couldn't resist the discount, BNIB gen2, on clearance at $100 cheaper than 50% list price. Wish me luck!
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Pulled trigger on a Smokefire EX4 on impulse at a big box yesterday, couldn't resist the discount, BNIB gen2, on clearance at $100 cheaper than 50% list price. Wish me luck!
    Excellent!
    After using one, EX6, for several months, I would never pay full price for it. I’ve just had to many little issues that stopped the cook or prevented a proper cook.
    That said, when it functions properly I really like the simple operation and mild, sweet wood smoke flavor. I cook most of my food on the upper rack.
    It’s produced some of the best ABTs ever…

BTW, you can buy generic drip pans to fit into the clean out drawer so much cheaper on Amazon. And the small steamer trays work great sitting on the lower grate under food on upper grate.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Excellent!
    After using one, EX6, for several months, I would never pay full price for it. I’ve just had to many little issues that stopped the cook or prevented a proper cook.
    That said, when it functions properly I really like the simple operation and mild, sweet wood smoke flavor. I cook most of my food on the upper rack.

BTW, you can buy generic drip pans to fit into the clean out drawer so much cheaper on Amazon. And the small steamer trays work great sitting on the lower grate under food on upper grate.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I read many mixed love/hate reviews in TVWBB, you pretty much summed up what everyone was saying. Now I’m second guessing myself  :)
    canuckland
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I know it seems like a mixed bag with the smokefires, but mine has been flawless.  Mine is the exact same as yours, EX4 gen2 from the start (without having to replace parts on gen1 to mod it into gen2).  Not sure if that matters or not.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Excellent!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I read many mixed love/hate reviews in TVWBB, you pretty much summed up what everyone was saying. Now I’m second guessing myself  :)
    Stop 2nd guessing!
    At the price you paid…excellent score. I picked up my Gen 2 new in box from independent seller at a steal. If it were my only grill or I only had space for 1 grill I would have sold it. I know many people complain about not getting enough smoke flavor. But it’s perfect for us. The smoke profile is different from the Egg. With the 3 different brands of pellets I have used, all produced a nice sweet smoke flavor.
    With all the problems I have had It’s not a grill I can always trust to work. My Eggs and Kettle grills just always work. Even the Weber gassers I have owned just always worked except with igniter maybe going bad. But a match is an easy fix.
    I have even gotten alerts on my phone a couple times, a couple days after I have used the EX6 telling me my temp was reached, shutdown is complete or fire out alarm.lol
    I just don’t think with grill was ready for market.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Options
    I know it seems like a mixed bag with the smokefires, but mine has been flawless.  Mine is the exact same as yours, EX4 gen2 from the start (without having to replace parts on gen1 to mod it into gen2).  Not sure if that matters or not.
    Merry Christmas! Thanks for casting your vote of confidence in the mix, it certainly helps knowing it's coming from a fellow egghead. 
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Photo Egg Merry  Christmas! beautiful spread there. I can relate to the different smoke profile as I own two Traegers. Plan is to replace the Pro 34, it is taking too much space and it's not the only cooker here.

I like the idea of using dynamic right sized drip pan as needed to avoid the risk of grease soaked ash, while still allowing maximum surround heat. Not a big fan of Traeger's full sized drip pan, kind of like oversized Conveggtor 100% of the time.

It's a hassle returning it, I can live with occasional quirks, worst case scenario I'll sell it if it doesn't work out :)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @cookingdude555 @Photo Egg Interesting video if you have 28 min to waste/invest
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmCibXcfmqY
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thanks 
    That was a great video!
    The rich, not overpowering, smoke flavor is the reason I haven’t given up on the Smoke Fire. Great to see how it stacked up to a couple of the big boys.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pook
    Pook Posts: 43
    Options
    My father is retiring around Christmas. He wants a pellet smoker. I have a Medium and XL egg and have tried to get him to use/get and egg. I think he likes the ability to just push buttons. Which one should I (and my sisters) get him?  I love steaks on the egg at 600-700 but it seems most pellet grills don’t get that high. 
    Following
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks 
    That was a great video!
    The rich, not overpowering, smoke flavor is the reason I haven’t given up on the Smoke Fire. Great to see how it stacked up to a couple of the big boys.
    This could be the deciding vote for me!
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks 
    That was a great video!
    This could be the deciding vote for me!
    Everything the guy said about it is accurate. 
  • Photo Egg
    edited December 2021
    Options
    My father is retiring around Christmas. He wants a pellet smoker. I have a Medium and XL egg and have tried to get him to use/get and egg. I think he likes the ability to just push buttons. Which one should I (and my sisters) get him?  I love steaks on the egg at 600-700 but it seems most pellet grills don’t get that high. 
    What did you end up doing?
    One thing to remember with most any pellet grill...There is maintenance. And there are many moving and electrical components that could fail making it not work at all.
    It's not a gasser that requires almost no attention. Less work keeping up with my XL. My Smoke Fire takes so time every few cooks, depending on time and temp of each cook, for breakdown and cleaning. If you are starting with a cleaned unit, it truly is dump in pellets followed by pushing and turning a knob. But overall, I think it's more work than my Egg with Kick Ash Basket.
    And it will not sear a steak at high heat like an equally priced Weber gasser.
    The Smoke Fire heat source is in the center. This is the only real sear spot.
    Remember, Webers claim of 600 degrees is under ideal situations.
    Mine really struggles to reach 550 and several times I could not hit 450 with a relatively clean grill. Obviously, results vary. But a good gasser is virtually fail proof with minimum maintenance and super easy operation. Granted, you don't get the smoke profile on a gasser. But most will easy exceed 600 degrees.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Had a Traeger for 6 months and sold. Does, not make good steaks, burgers, et-al. I have read here in this forum that the T's are prone to electro-mechanical failures. Mine had no failures.  The BGE is a 5 function, Traeger is one function. The T is a smoker. not a grill. If I were to buy a smoker I would get an Oklahoma Joe.
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited December 2021
    Options
    One thing I like about the Egg is the moisture retention due to the ceramics. Especially with Low and Slow cooks you do not have to inject, mop or spritz since the Egg retains heat and moisture. So if I were to end up buying a pellet grill it would have to be well insulated. The Traeger Pro models have single wall design. The higher end models have double or triple wall designs as well as a super smoke feature. That said my step son who has a Traeger thinks he is the best pit master in the world.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    I had a good friend buy a new Traeger and bought a brisket for his first cook on it.  We needed to start the cook around 11pm.  Well, he passed out in the kitchen on the floor.  There was no rousing him.  Me and another buddy had never even seen a Traeger.  We finished trimming and seasoning the brisket while we were barely standing.  We stumbled out to the Traeger and tossed the brisky on.  Figured out we needed to plug it in, turned the dial to 250, then went back to drinking.  We both wandered home around 1am and forgot about the brisket.  Got a call that evening saying how amazing the brisket was. Said it was the best brisket he had ever had.  To me, that is a selling point.  It is like a smokey oven.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sounded way easier and successfully than my Large BGE maiden voyage screw up with baby backs :)
    canuckland
  • flexfusion
    Options
    LSG makes a very good one and I have a Rec-Teq and it is also good and soo simple it doesn't seem like Qing. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    My only issue with the Weber is the grease management system. The work around is to set up a drip pan on the lower rack and smoke your protein on the upper rack. But you lose grid space in the process. 
    Also, if you lose power the system requires a complete shutdown before you can restart.