Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

OT. Pellet Grill

2»

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,488
    FWIW I noticed the SmokeFire is $200 off now until November. 
    SmokeFire | Weber Grills

I don't own a pellet smoker but one thing that seems nice about this one is it does appear to do a good job at direct cooking/searing. I know they had a lot of issues but as someone else mentioned the Gen2 seems to have addressed some of the original problems. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 11,156
    Tspud1 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    I like my rec teq bull. You lose some Smokey flavor but it’s as easy as it gets. 

1 2nd that on the smoke flavor, just dont get much off my Rec Tec either. More at lower temps
    I haven’t tried adding a pellet tray yet but I will next cook. The smokier the better for me and straight pellets arent doing enough. 
    I have both tray and tube and I use one on next cook. I want to a big batch of wings and freeze for future frying.
    Hope you let us know how much smoke it adds.
     Thanks 

I will, just dont use often now. Did a prime rib roast , whole chicken and a Pork tenderloin this weekend but didnt fire up the pellet cooker. My brake press had a motor burn out so couldnt bend your cover, back up and running so it should go today or tomorrow
    Thanks for the info and everything else!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGHSGH Posts: 28,101
    The price has more than doubled since these came out a few years ago. However if money is of little concern they definitely warrant your attention. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 38,165
    Tspud1 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    I like my rec teq bull. You lose some Smokey flavor but it’s as easy as it gets. 

1 2nd that on the smoke flavor, just dont get much off my Rec Tec either. More at lower temps
    I haven’t tried adding a pellet tray yet but I will next cook. The smokier the better for me and straight pellets arent doing enough. 
    I have both tray and tube and I use one on next cook. I want to a big batch of wings and freeze for future frying.
    Hope you let us know how much smoke it adds.
     Thanks 

I will, just dont use often now. Did a prime rib roast , whole chicken and a Pork tenderloin this weekend but didnt fire up the pellet cooker. My brake press had a motor burn out so couldnt bend your cover, back up and running so it should go today or tomorrow
    Just shear it and weld the bend....just kidding. Ton of work.

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 4,412
    Since I'm a charcoal guy, gotta to point to one alternative that's the same price and ease.....Masterbuilt Gravity series.  The 800 comes with a griddle too.  Pretty sweet set up.  You can hit higher temps, use less fuel, and have the option of cooking without the smoke that you will always have from pellets.
  • GregWGregW Posts: 2,490
    edited September 14
    For those curious about the smokiness of pellets, I will say that a pellet made from 100% of the wood species you are wanting, yields a much more stronger smoke profile. 
    I use and recommended:
    https://bbqpelletsonline.com/

Lumberjack produces 100% named species and blended pellets as well.
    I use 100% Hickory most of the time. I will use 100% cherry and apple and pecan when they are available- They tend to be harder to get. The 100% Hickory are generally always available.

100% pellets tend to produce a little more ash and some say the heat produced is a little less consistent. It has been reported that 100% Hickory pellets can over smoke the meat by some people, I haven't experienced this. If there is any tendency to over smoke, it can be controlled by adjusting the cooking temp to achieve the smoke profile you are looking for.

If Lumberjack pellets are not available in your area, you can of course order individual bags, but shipping can be cost prohibitive. It is more economical to get a group buy together with people in your area. Lumberjack maintains a group buy list and will facilitate the purchase and freight delivery. Last time I ordered I bought 1000# in 20# bags.    
    Birmingham, AL
    Since I'm a charcoal guy, gotta to point to one alternative that's the same price and ease.....Masterbuilt Gravity series.  The 800 comes with a griddle too.  Pretty sweet set up.  You can hit higher temps, use less fuel, and have the option of cooking without the smoke that you will always have from pellets.
    Never seen one in action. What is the fan noise and sparks like?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:
    My uncle is obsessed with his.  He loves it.  I don't know much more than that.

John - SLC, UT

Several eggs ..

Photo Egg said:
    I cooked on one briefly a couple weeks ago.  They have their flaws, but pretty much functionally a pellet cooker that uses lump.

Photo Egg said:
    I cooked on one briefly a couple weeks ago.  They have their flaws, but pretty much functionally a pellet cooker that uses lump.

How are the sparks coming out of the cooker. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

How are the sparks coming out of the cooker. 
    Definitely were there.  I didn't think much about it because the smoke was drifting right into everyone's faces.  A drunk guy held a box fan for about an hour to push it away.  The whole thing was post storm on generator.

Owner said the fans are notorious for failing.