Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    paqman said:
    Well went out to mow this morning and mower wouldn't start. Been giving me trouble for a month or so now even after cleaning the carb, new spark plug,oil, and mower blades. I figured 10 years of use was pretty good for a mower nowadays. Had been eyeing one of these for several weeks so I went and picked it up. I gotta say, I'm impressed so far. I like the controls and the dual blades give a clean cut with less mess.
    Every time I see your photos, I can’t get over your lawn. Simply incredible. Come help me out. 
    Hahaha, it's taken a lot of trial and error to get to the point it's at now. Its 85% where I want it to be. To get it the way I truly want it would mean I'd need Tifway 419 Bermuda and a power reel mower or zoysia but I'm not about to rip up 15,000sqft of lawn and replace it with that.
    As I was reading your response, a lawn company was here taking measurements for the quote that we requested. Hoping for a better look next year. 
    lawn companies are a ripoff, all you need is fertilizer 3-4 times a year and overseeding late spring and early fall.  Manually remove dandelions and creeping charlie and you are in business!  If you can get your hands one herbicide the first year it helps but I guarantee you that just starting to use fertilizer multiple times a year will make a night and day difference.  Also important to to use the highest setting on your lawnmower.
    Clearly my time is more valuable to me than your time to you. 😂

I used to do my own but once I could afford not to do so, comfortably, I quit doing it. My free time and how I am able to spend it is absolutely one of my top priorities. The older I get the more valuable it ranks. 

By all means, if it is an activity that one enjoys or takes a special pride in preforming, have at it. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    SonVolt said:
    Eyeballin' one of these dedicated paella burners. 

Depending on size of that pan your XL will get a great fire for a paella cook rolling.  You are likely aware and I'm guessing that thing wouldn't fit.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    That ones 32" which is probably too big. I'm thinking 24" would be the sweet spot for me. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lousubcap
    edited September 2021
    Here's a good paella read and especially about the pans and the variances.  It also gives you a ball-park idea of the quantity of servings per pan size although I find the numbers are on the low side of actual.  Of course my largest is a 15.5" pan but with vertical handles which is perfect for my LBGE.  Also have a 12" and I can use the SBGE for a 10" pan.  
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  
    Great eats await wherever you land.  
    Edit: paging @SciAggie as he works with good sized paella pans/cooks.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    SonVolt said:
    That ones 32" which is probably too big. I'm thinking 24" would be the sweet spot for me. 

the pan throws me, it looks flat, not slightly concave and it isnt dimpled to hold the grease along the bottom under the rice. not an expert on these but thats what ive seen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    paqman said:
    Well went out to mow this morning and mower wouldn't start. Been giving me trouble for a month or so now even after cleaning the carb, new spark plug,oil, and mower blades. I figured 10 years of use was pretty good for a mower nowadays. Had been eyeing one of these for several weeks so I went and picked it up. I gotta say, I'm impressed so far. I like the controls and the dual blades give a clean cut with less mess.
    Every time I see your photos, I can’t get over your lawn. Simply incredible. Come help me out. 
    Hahaha, it's taken a lot of trial and error to get to the point it's at now. Its 85% where I want it to be. To get it the way I truly want it would mean I'd need Tifway 419 Bermuda and a power reel mower or zoysia but I'm not about to rip up 15,000sqft of lawn and replace it with that.
    As I was reading your response, a lawn company was here taking measurements for the quote that we requested. Hoping for a better look next year. 
    lawn companies are a ripoff, all you need is fertilizer 3-4 times a year and overseeding late spring and early fall.  Manually remove dandelions and creeping charlie and you are in business!  If you can get your hands one herbicide the first year it helps but I guarantee you that just starting to use fertilizer multiple times a year will make a night and day difference.  Also important to to use the highest setting on your lawnmower.

I used to do my own but once I could afford not to do so, comfortably, I quit doing it. My free time and how I am able to spend it is absolutely one of my top priorities. The older I get the more valuable it ranks. 

By all means, if it is an activity that one enjoys or takes a special pride in preforming, have at it. 🤷🏼‍♂️
    +1 to this.  Love that somebody else has to deal with all of that.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    as for grass in my 0.1 acre yard, well its 1 foot deep with wild flowers, nature took over all the work for me :) the rabbits hide in there waiting for the dog
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2021
    paqman said:

I can afford not to, I just enjoy it. I can get my 1/3rd acre lot cut, edged and weed eated in an hour so it's not a huge time suck. If it was taking me 2-3 hours each weekend then ya I'd probably pay someone, but for now I'm young and healthy. No sense in paying someone $50 an hour to do something that I can do myself.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    paqman said:

A very wise man once told me that Grilling was the last thing the American Man had to be proud of.  It used to be, we worked on our own cars, now you can't hardly do that with all of the electronics.  We used to fertilize, weed, and preen our own yards, but no one has the time for that anymore.  But, Barbeque!  That's the last thing we have!  Amen!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • paqman said:

I can afford not to, I just enjoy it. I can get my 1/3rd acre lot cut, edged and weed eated in an hour so it's not a huge time suck. If it was taking me 2-3 hours each weekend then ya I'd probably pay someone, but for now I'm young and healthy. No sense in paying someone $50 an hour to do something that I can do myself.
    Young and healthy is the key.  Not everyone commenting here can claim that.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    edited September 2021
    paqman said:

I too am young and healthy, but I too choose to pay someone. My time is too valuable to my wife, my kids and my hobbies due to my hellacious work schedule.  Best decision I’ve made regarding my yard and my free time
  • lousubcap
    edited September 2021
    For you young and healthy members-here's the future...
    Old and healthy and wherever you were you evolve into the "time to simplify my life" mind-set.  Within that approach, yard maintenance is well up on the list of "first to go."  
    Of course the size of the yard/maintenance demands play a big role.  But it is ever present.  FWIW from one who is old and uses a yard service on a 0.95 acre lot.  
    Edit: Never did get into the gym thing.  Enjoyed the running deal for likely too long. When necessary I left with a work issue for the run around lunch time and usually came back with the "way ahead."  No more!  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited September 2021
    ColbyLang said:
    paqman said:

I too am young and healthy, but I too choose to pay someone. My time is too valuable to my wife, my kids and my hobbies due to my hellacious work schedule.  Best decision I’ve made regarding my yard and my free time
    I am cheap and I can benefit from the exercise, saving on the gym too 🤷‍♂️😂🤣

paqman said:
    ColbyLang said:
    paqman said:

I am cheap and I can benefit from the exercise, saving on the gym too 🤷‍♂️😂🤣
    I physically work for a living. 10 hour days are the minimum. Don’t even ask what the ambient temp is….no gym membership here, as none is “required”
  • paqman said:

Hence my saying "for now" when I'm retired and have a bad knee or some other ailment I'm sure my tune will change. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap said:
    For you young and healthy members-here's the future...
    Old and healthy and wherever you were you evolve into the "time to simplify my life" mind-set.  Within that approach, yard maintenance is well up on the list of "first to go."  
    Of course the size of the yard/maintenance demands play a big role.  But it is ever present.  FWIW from one who is old and uses a yard service on a 0.95 acre lot.  
    Edit: Never did get into the gym thing.  Enjoyed the running deal for likely too long. When necessary I left with a work issue for the run around lunch time and usually came back with the "way ahead."  No more!  
    Your edit resounds with me. I used to work out at my gym in close proximity to my office - every day, without fail. The physical benefits were fantastic. The mental ones were transcendental. I tend to think that we need be be exercised to perform at our best, like most, if not all animals. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    There's an old saw that goes something like "hard work never killed anyone, but why take chances?". 
    As for lawns and a fertilizing schedule, consider having your soil tested before deciding how often you need to apply any supplement(s).  Should cost you less than $25.  Mulching can help to reduce the fertilizer bill.  I have mostly tall fescue in the yard and get by with a Spring feeding that includes a pre-emergent and a early Fall feeding, both with iron in the mix.  Soils here are on the alkaline side, so ½" or so of peat moss gets applied every 2-3 years.  Main thing is to know your soil makeup before trying to correct it.  Best for your wallet and your environment.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • paqman said:
    Thanks, but I’ve tried all that. While I agree with them being expensive, I need the help, as I’ve got a lot of weeds, I think I’ve got grubs and the neighbours’ massive trees mean my lawn doesn’t get much sun. I figure maybe I can kickstart it with a year or two of lawn care and then take it on my own from there. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    This….$89 Woot

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Think im gonna go get this tomorrow. Might hold off on the cooking accessory for now but really want this. 
  • @sumoconnell

Which HEB was that? Thanks 
    Austin, TX
  • Bought something today that will be on the chef thread Friday. Local HEB had SRF sirloin flap. I bought the uncut (not butterflied) version for a steak with chimichurri. They butterfly for waygu “fajitas”

Our HEB's out here in Midland have started carrying SRF as well.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Lit said:
    Ended up just getting it all.
    I'll be interested to hear how you like it.  Made in the USA, correct?  I have a Solo Stove (the bonfire size) and would like a larger one for the house.  I may just keep the Solo Stove in the camper.  I am ASSuming they operate in the same way.

Sidenote: I am tired of explaining to passersby that until the fire is mature/fully engaged, yes it smokes.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton said:
    Lit said:
    I'll be interested to hear how you like it.  Made in the USA, correct?  I have a Solo Stove (the bonfire size) and would like a larger one for the house.  I may just keep the Solo Stove in the camper.  I am ASSuming they operate in the same way.

Sidenote: I am tired of explaining to passersby that until the fire is mature/fully engaged, yes it smokes.  

That sounds like how most fires work… smoke before fire… 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    kl8ton said:
    Lit said:

Hopefully gonna fire it up tomorrow night if the weather holds up will let you know. Yes they are made in the USA and its heavy. Its work to move it by myself with the cooking accessory it has to be around 100lbs. This is the corten model so the fire pit itself should get a nice orange patina to it.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Nothing for last 5 days!  =)

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    Wish I could say that.  Went down the SRF rabbit hole this AM.  No will power but when the box arrives it brings great enjoyment and then well after opening.