Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Six, unless of course you can only workout cutting halfsies.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GlennM said:

I have that same setup.  I use it for finishing work.  Have a lower Dewalt model for running recycled boards through the first couple of times.

You can get a helical cutter head for it from Grizzly.  I've been thinking about getting it.  Maybe not as smooth a surface (needs a little sanding) but much quieter, uses less power and an order of magnitude longer use between blade changes.  Not cheap

Planted several Japanese Maples on my property.

XL BGE ACACIA table
    Shawnee State Forest Ohio
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Planted several Japanese Maples on my property.

I sense soya-infused maple syrup in your future. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    SURGERY CONSULT - INITIAL
    RADIOGRAPH INITIAL
    FLUID ANALYSIS W/ CYTOLOGY 1 JOINT (IDX) PRIORITY CYTOLOGY W/ DESC (IDX) AEROBIC CULTURE (IDX)
    ARTHROCENTESIS JOINT TAP
    SEDATION AND MEDICATIONS

Trying to figure out what is wrong with my dogs wrist. Harvest is a few weeks out and I need his company in the combine and semi
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    10 pack of head lamps for $23

Two of these portable speakers (they will pair up for big stereo)

Options
    "Altec Lansing RockBox XL - Tech Review | Busted Wallet" https://bustedwallet.com/altec-lansing-rockbox-xl-tech-review/
    Options
    10 pack of head lamps for $23

Those are great for inspecting rectum 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    What website @nolaegghead
    South Buffalo, New York
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    What website @nolaegghead
    Headlamps - Amazon
    Rockbox - Woot (but over now, only up for 24 hours)

Options
    GlennM said:

I have that same setup.  I use it for finishing work.  Have a lower Dewalt model for running recycled boards through the first couple of times.

You can get a helical cutter head for it from Grizzly.  I've been thinking about getting it.  Maybe not as smooth a surface (needs a little sanding) but much quieter, uses less power and an order of magnitude longer use between blade changes.  Not cheap

What do you use for dust collection?  I need to move mine around, seems like you could almost tie a bag to the back of it.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    GlennM said:
    GlennM said:

What do you use for dust collection?  I need to move mine around, seems like you could almost tie a bag to the back of it.
    I move mine around all the time.  I use a regular wet/dry shop vac....with a BIG capacity, it will fill up fast.  

Do not run it without a vacuum.  It will clog internally and wear the knives out prematurely.   Keeping the chips from the knives keeps it from bogging down with excessive friction.  If you notice excessive chips and dust coming out the feed or exit side and the motor speed slow down incrementally, chances are the exit chute path is clogged or partially clogged.
    Well went out to mow this morning and mower wouldn't start. Been giving me trouble for a month or so now even after cleaning the carb, new spark plug,oil, and mower blades. I figured 10 years of use was pretty good for a mower nowadays. Had been eyeing one of these for several weeks so I went and picked it up. I gotta say, I'm impressed so far. I like the controls and the dual blades give a clean cut with less mess.
    Every time I see your photos, I can’t get over your lawn. Simply incredible. Come help me out. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Well went out to mow this morning and mower wouldn't start. Been giving me trouble for a month or so now even after cleaning the carb, new spark plug,oil, and mower blades. I figured 10 years of use was pretty good for a mower nowadays. Had been eyeing one of these for several weeks so I went and picked it up. I gotta say, I'm impressed so far. I like the controls and the dual blades give a clean cut with less mess.
    Every time I see your photos, I can’t get over your lawn. Simply incredible. Come help me out. 
    Hahaha, it's taken a lot of trial and error to get to the point it's at now. Its 85% where I want it to be. To get it the way I truly want it would mean I'd need Tifway 419 Bermuda and a power reel mower or zoysia but I'm not about to rip up 15,000sqft of lawn and replace it with that.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    My top-of-the-line Honda has the same features, but because mine is ten years old I’m sure its an older model.  Still starts by the second pull.
    And you gave up on your older mower too soon!  My previous mower, a 1992 2-stroke Lawn Boy, only died ten years ago because its stupid-head owner forgot to add oil to the gas one time; she welded herself solid.  :cry:  
    Still using my MTD snowblower, also purchased in 1992;  I actually had to buy new tires for it two years ago, how many people wear out their snowblower tires?!  Thanks to global warming, only used it once two winters ago and not at all last year.  In Tulare. :s   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    My top-of-the-line Honda has the same features, but because mine is ten years old I’m sure its an older model.  Still starts by the second pull.
    And you gave up on your older mower too soon!  My previous mower, a 1992 2-stroke Lawn Boy, only died ten years ago because its stupid-head owner forgot to add oil to the gas one time; she welded herself solid.  :cry:  
    Still using my MTD snowblower, also purchased in 1992;  I actually had to buy new tires for it two years ago, how many people wear out their snowblower tires?!  Thanks to global warming, only used it once two winters ago and not at all last year.  In Tulare. :s   
    If it makes you feel better Botch I'm still using my dads gas powered edger from 1995

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 zoysia is worth it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options

Nice push mower. I bought my Dad the electric start version earlier this spring. He enjoys it.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hahaha, it's taken a lot of trial and error to get to the point it's at now. Its 85% where I want it to be. To get it the way I truly want it would mean I'd need Tifway 419 Bermuda and a power reel mower or zoysia but I'm not about to rip up 15,000sqft of lawn and replace it with that.
    As I was reading your response, a lawn company was here taking measurements for the quote that we requested. Hoping for a better look next year. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    As I was reading your response, a lawn company was here taking measurements for the quote that we requested. Hoping for a better look next year. 
    lawn companies are a ripoff, all you need is fertilizer 3-4 times a year and overseeding late spring and early fall.  Manually remove dandelions and creeping charlie and you are in business!  If you can get your hands one herbicide the first year it helps but I guarantee you that just starting to use fertilizer multiple times a year will make a night and day difference.  Also important to to use the highest setting on your lawnmower.

edited September 2021
    Options
    paqman said:
    lawn companies are a ripoff, all you need is fertilizer 3-4 times a year and overseeding late spring and early fall.  Manually remove dandelions and creeping charlie and you are in business!  If you can get your hands one herbicide the first year it helps but I guarantee you that just starting to use fertilizer multiple times a year will make a night and day difference.  Also important to to use the highest setting on your lawnmower.
    You dont want the highest setting for Bermuda. Bermuda should be scalped the first cut of the season then maintain like 1-1.5” cut length. A good quality fertilizer for the type of grass you have is key like you said though. I use Andersons PGF complete 16-4-8 for Bermuda and works better than anything else I have found.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    Lit said:
    paqman said:
    You dont want the highest setting for Bermuda. Bermuda should be scalped the first cut of the season then maintain like 1-1.5” cut length. A good quality fertilizer for the type of grass you have is key like you said though. I use Andersons PGF complete 16-4-8 for Bermuda and works better than anything else I have found.

i think its the colder climates the grass needs to be longer, too short up here and it just burns. probably the types that grow in colder climates
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    paqman said:

i think its the colder climates the grass needs to be longer, too short up here and it just burns. probably the types that grow in colder climates
    I think it varies by type of grass. A buddy down here in GA has one you cut at like 3” and it is green all winter also. Dont remember what it is but best to research the particular type of grass you have. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    paqman said:

I think it varies by type of grass. A buddy down here in GA has one you cut at like 3” and it is green all winter also. Dont remember what it is but best to research the particular type of grass you have. 

bermuda and zoysiagrass would turn brown in a few weeks around here, turn green late may, early june. all ive ever seen planted is a blend, usually has bluegrass in it with some others depending on shady or sunny areas
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Should Common Bermuda and Bermuda (hybrid?) sod be treated the same when it comes to mow length? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Eyeballin' one of these dedicated paella burners. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Eyeballin' one of these dedicated paella burners. 

looks like a big pan, what size is that
    fukahwee maine