Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BB Rib Sunday - a matter of trust

Options
As my second cook on my new LBGE, I thought a few slabs of BB ribs were in order. Scouting this site for recipes, tips, and other various insight, I found my heading.  We were going to 2-2-1 at approximately 230 degrees.  I was able to get the green beauty locked in between 235 and 240, so I figured that was the sweet spot. 

Here is where the trust sets in. I trusted that after reading all your posts, successful or otherwise, that as a newbie, I could keep myself from opening the dome at any point to check on things.  First two hours I could smell the mustard base as they began to cook.  They looked perfect as they went into the eventually foil covered pan. No liquid added, just straight ribs. 

Again, I trusted y’all that everything would go according to plan. After a few minutes the temp spiked to 260, so instead of panicking I went back to the forum and found a thread saying this is normal. Whew, crisis averted and dome left shut. I just left them there with the dome gauge reading 260. 

Two more hours passed, I pulled them out of the pan and back on the rack for basting  they are looking great.  Basted them again at 20 min and left them for 40 till the end. Temp immediately dropped to 235 and held there for the rest of the cook.  I think the foil pan may have increased the dome temp somewhat since it sits nearer to the gauge. Lesson learned for the future. 

In the end, they came out perfect, a little bite yet you could pull the entire piece right off the bone in one bite if you chose to. Thank you all for posting up your stories for the rest of us to trust and follow.  

After living on both coasts, I've made my way back to the mid-west, Illinois to be exact.  

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Way to trust the force.  Congrats on the cook, result and the documentation.  Hopefully others will absorb the insights you have offered here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Looks like 3 racks of winning right there. Thanks for posting.  Way to not sweat the small stuff.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    Options
    great looking ribs 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....