Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I was gonna wait but-Tomorrow is 9/11 twenty years on! We all remember where we were!

Options
2»

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    This piece, on the manager of the restaurant on top of the North Tower, who survived the day by a sheer accident of fate that made him late getting into work, will hit you right in the feels:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/glenn-vogt-september-11/620030/

Haunting, and worth your time.  
    His chef had a similar lucky morning. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    This piece, on the manager of the restaurant on top of the North Tower, who survived the day by a sheer accident of fate that made him late getting into work, will hit you right in the feels:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/glenn-vogt-september-11/620030/

His chef had a similar lucky morning. 

Unreal.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

caliqueen's cousin worked in the WTC. Missed his train that morning, so decided to work from home that day.  His office was 3 floors below where the second plane hit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2021
    Options
    caliking said:

caliqueen's cousin worked in the WTC. Missed his train that morning, so decided to work from home that day.  His office was 3 floors below where the second plane hit. 

It's really difficult for me to even fathom what that must have been like - to have escaped a terrible fate by some random aspect of chance, while also knowing so many friends and coworkers ... who did not.  
    Many people developed survivor's guilt after 9/11.  It was moved from it's own entry to the PTSD category when DSM-IV was published. 

Edit: I'm not saying Caliqueen's cousin had this, only that is was prevalent from the 9/11 attacks.
    Options
    I’ll never forget where I was on that day.  It was my second day back at work after a three year overseas work assignment in Singapore.  I was so glad to be back home where before I left I took so many things for granted.  I never took things for granted after that day.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited September 2021
    Options
    The chefs who survived due to chance reminded me of two stories

I mentioned I was driving with a coworker to pick up some presentation materials from the prior night’s meeting. That meeting went late. 

The client for that same project actually had a meeting in New York the following day (sept 11) and had a ticket for one of the flights that hit the towers. But because of the late night before, he missed the flight. Decided he would go later. 

The other was a principal of a firm who was a competitor of ours in Boston. Small town, so we all know each other (in the same biz). He had a morning meeting in one of the towers. 

He walked into the tower, realized he was way too early, and turned around and walked out, to get a coffee and something to eat to kill time

Never went back. Never had his meeting. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    I recall where I was and what I was doing, but I also recall something else.

Back 20 years ago the founder/father of the BGE company still owned the business.

THIS corporate forum did not even exist at that time! The original BGE forum was the brainchild of a Mr Miller.

At that time one of the most talented contributing eggers was a lady NYC restaurant chef/owner who posted there simply as CAT. I never saw her posting much after that fateful day, but I recall some NYC posts about how CAT fed countless police and firefighters for several days thereafter…gratis…of course.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I just returned (with a side stop) from a 9/11 ceremony where I was privileged to be the main speaker.  It was at a local VFW post and well attended.  A company of first responders participated along with the mayor of the small suburban city.
    Writing the speech and revising it over that past several days was much harder than I anticipated.  I was well into the emotional side of that day that I have tried very hard to distance from over the past twenty years.  Turned out well but for someone who did not lose anyone that day, still tough.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Wow, I bet that was hard to keep it together.
  • Bar
    Options
    After living in Singapore and travailing toThailand, Malaysia, Bali and Indonesia, I feel like I hit the lottery by being born in the USA.  So grateful.  I wish we could go back to how united we were on 9/12/2001.
  • Bar
    Options
    No offense to our Canadian and European brothers.  I hope you feel the same way too about where you were born and live.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Bar said:
    No offense to our Canadian and European brothers.  I hope you feel the same way too about where you were born and live.
    Agree, even more grateful as an immigrant.
    canuckland