Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kimchi Burgers

Options

I enjoy making things just a bit different than the norm.  Had some kimchi and some burger and thought I do like Korean BBQ,  but don't have what I need,  but do for burgers.   So here's my go at the burger.  

Burger:
2lb Ground beef
1/4c Finely diced kimchi
1/4c caramelized onions
5 clove Korean pickled garlic
Drizzle Coconut nectar 

Mix together, rest in fridge to chill (30min)

Glaze:
1/4c Teriyaki
3tbsp Orange Juice
1tbsp Honey
Gochujang (to taste)
brush on while cooking for a nice glaze

Aiole:
1/4c Kweepee mayo
Toasted Sesame oil (drizzle)
Gochujang (to taste)
1-2 tsp Tamari
Coconut nectar (drizzle l

Cook:
Chilled parties onto direct grill.   Let cook 5 min baste, flip baste, etc
When done sprinkle with Sesame seeds.  They stick nicely to the glaze. 

Build:
Smear the roll, add pattie cover in thinly sliced cabbage,  drizzle aiole over cabbage cut and enjoy! 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Great looking burgers and that's quite a load of prep work.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Interesting!  How did they taste?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

The kimchi mixture when cooked in the burger lost the strong pungent kimchi flavors. Yet,  they were still present,  just not like the fresh from the crock pow of kimchi, more subtle.  Really juicy.  The glaze gave a nice caramelized exterior to the burger with a sweet heat.  The cabbage, has to be very thin sliced cut, added a nice crunch. 

This will be a keeper. Let me know if you give it a try. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude... I love this. Especially the aioli. 

Looks like the burgers held together well, without any type of binder. That's a plus. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    @caliking

I've found chilling the burger tends to keep them from crumbling when cooking... 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    2BAMBAM4 said:
    @JohnInCarolina

The kimchi mixture when cooked in the burger lost the strong pungent kimchi flavors. Yet,  they were still present,  just not like the fresh from the crock pow of kimchi, more subtle.  Really juicy.  The glaze gave a nice caramelized exterior to the burger with a sweet heat.  The cabbage, has to be very thin sliced cut, added a nice crunch. 

This will be a keeper. Let me know if you give it a try. 
    In the past I have used kimchi almost like a slaw, for sliders.  It’s great like that as it retains its usual crunch and freshness.  

But your burgers look great.  I’m glad they came out well.  Worth trying for sure.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike