Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    When was the last time you changed a car battery??   =)  No way for me in that time window.  But I get the plug and play concept.  Now to juice the sound although I know a couple of sound engineers who have been hired to get the high pitched/rev of a finely tuned turbo charged NA engine into the electrics.  
    https://www.wired.com/story/the-faster-cheaper-better-way-to-charge-electric-vehicles/
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina nice read.  There is no question about the end game.  It's how is it finessed for well better than a decade in front of most of you.  We will all adapt, some more begrudgingly than others. 
    Edit: F the power train, let's get back to the current rides.  This thread always delivers.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Here are a few gems I have seen over the last month or so.  My favorite is the GT3RS and my favorite affordable one is the Miata. Bonus points to who can tell me why I took the photo.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Here are a few gems I have seen over the last month or so.  My favorite is the GT3RS and my favorite affordable one is the Miata. Bonus points to who can tell me why I took the photo.

Is that a bud light beer tap handle on the shifter?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2021
    Options

Is that a bud light beer tap handle on the shifter?
    Good eye, and you are correct, but not what caught my eye first.  You are definitely in the ball park.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Right hand drive miata ?
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Right hand drive miata ?
    Bingo.  Probably a Eunos Roadster (Japanese version of Miata) from Japan.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You were waiting to take a picture of the orange vanagon waiting at the intersection.
    Options
    You were waiting to take a picture of the orange vanagon waiting at the intersection.
    More of a Westfalia person, but the vanagone is sweet too.  I really like the newer sprinter conversions.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The electrics are insanely fast for a time.  Great for drag strip racers.  Motor racing will become all about speed to jam the juice into the battery as the duration (today) of power does not currently have the staying power.  Technology will likely get us there but who knows when.  
    It’s there now, you just have to adjust the mode of operation from recharging a battery to swapping it out.  The latter is actually faster than refilling a gas tank.
    Tesla tried it and dumped the idea. Charging isn't the problem, availability of chargers is (here in the UK).
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The battery swap is a great idea but the swap infrastructure will lag far behind the gross number of electric vehicles on the road.  The immediate demand is chargers/stations, like @Eoin said, in many countries including the USA.

I do understand the challenges for the electric utilities.  If we could hit the low hanging fruit of a combination of location (distributed strategically) and proximity to 115 and 161kV transmission lines, the cost of very large current loads on the grid is much lower.

Anyway, this will probably grow poorly through capitalism or could be somewhat managed through grants or tax breaks to serve the public better.  Keep in mind much of flyover country has internet and phone because of a series of government programs last of which is the FCC Universal Service Fund.  All this started back in the 20s.  (Yes, including the "Obama Phone")

"Universal Service Fund - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Service_Fund
    Options
    Inevitably, in the near future there will be nostalgia for internal combustion engines.  In a couple generations most drivers will view them like vacuum tube radios and amps having never lived in a time where there weren't electric cars.  They will be collector and enthusiast owned. In their minds, the "soul" will not be missed.  We ICE owners will **** about the "good old days" like the folks losing jobs to the cotton gin.  In the long run, the ICE will be a flash in the pan of history, if there is a history where we don't succumb to self-destruction through things like war, famine and ignorance. 
    Eoin said:
    lousubcap said:
    The electrics are insanely fast for a time.  Great for drag strip racers.  Motor racing will become all about speed to jam the juice into the battery as the duration (today) of power does not currently have the staying power.  Technology will likely get us there but who knows when.  
    It’s there now, you just have to adjust the mode of operation from recharging a battery to swapping it out.  The latter is actually faster than refilling a gas tank.
    Tesla tried it and dumped the idea. Charging isn't the problem, availability of chargers is (here in the UK).
    I was really just talking about for racing, not everyday use by consumers.  
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Road construction/maintenance funding will need to be addressed at some point. The excise taxes (federal and state) imposed on fossil fuels for motor vehicle use are dedicated to the infrastructure of our roadways.  EV's currently get a free pass here.  It will be interesting to see how they end up in having to pay their fair share.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    The battery swap is a great idea but the swap infrastructure will lag far behind the gross number of electric vehicles on the road.  The immediate demand is chargers/stations, like @Eoin said, in many countries including the USA.

I do understand the challenges for the electric utilities.  If we could hit the low hanging fruit of a combination of location (distributed strategically) and proximity to 115 and 161kV transmission lines, the cost of very large current loads on the grid is much lower.

Anyway, this will probably grow poorly through capitalism or could be somewhat managed through grants or tax breaks to serve the public better.  Keep in mind much of flyover country has internet and phone because of a series of government programs last of which is the FCC Universal Service Fund.  All this started back in the 20s.  (Yes, including the "Obama Phone")

"Universal Service Fund - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Service_Fund
    I am now surrounded by mega neighborhoods and I still can not get wired internet faster than 6Mbps.  Currently have over the air internet (think narrow beam wifi) at 12Mbps for $119/month.  Only hope for decent internet is 5G or Starlink.  Wish we actually had teeth to our FCC instead of a lobbyist run cesspool.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Road construction/maintenance funding will need to be addressed at some point. The excise taxes (federal and state) imposed on fossil fuels for motor vehicle use are dedicated to the infrastructure of our roadways.  EV's currently get a free pass here.  It will be interesting to see how they end up in having to pay their fair share.
    #dbCooper
    The gas tax in Michigan is about 26.5 cents per gallon.  The roads in Michigan suck big time.  I can promise you all that money is not used for road infrastructure.  What I think will happen is some sort of mileage tax imposed during annual license plate renewal.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They should increase gas tax in the short term to make electric more economical an alternative.  When the majority of vehicles are electric, they can tax mileage electronically and add the tax to the registration renewal or something.  All new electric cars are networked.
    Options

Does a 4-door Porsche count?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Does a 4-door Porsche count?
    But of course. I think it was Jeremy Clarkson and co. that really panned the Panamera, but personally, I think it’s a nice looking ride. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Spotted as I was about to have a drink on the patio of a neighbour’s restaurant right on this corner. For my American compatriots, the building in photo #1 is your embassy in Canada’s national capital, Ottawa, Ontario - our equivalent of your Washington, D.C. For interest, photo #2 features our national art gallery. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - for the record, when I was in Ottawa (fully cognizant of the capital city title) I never saw a ride like that but then again I was several decades younger then and was more interested in the fairer classmates.  
    Trained in from Montreal on a couple of occasions.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Saw this gem.  Not sure what original color is.  Other side is equally interesting.

It either hit a crowd of spectators or another car. It happens to every Mustang owner.  ;)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Saw this gem.  Not sure what original color is.  Other side is equally interesting.

That dent in the back panel will buff out, I’m sure.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Really nice kit car.
    Never seen a cover like that on an AC. Can’t say it does much for the car’s awesome lines, IMO. 
  • EGGING_Around
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Nothing very exciting around here. I've seen a couple of those Bently SUV's around. 

I found a couple random license plates on my phone.

Juke Box Hero

For any of you Saved By The Bell fans

My Dad's best friend races down in North Carolina. Fun to see what he's doing in his shop when stopping over. 

https://youtu.be/tLH8QaZbDVg 

Love the C5 Super Gas Vette

XL BGE ACACIA table
    Shawnee State Forest Ohio
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Really nice kit car.
    Never seen a cover like that on an AC. Can’t say it does much for the car’s awesome lines, IMO. 
    I agree. I thought it looked odd on a really nice ride.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Saw this today. Still had its paper plates. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE