Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I guy post his admission of having been wrong?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Sometime in 2021 I posted about taking advantage of the continual “come on offering” from Amazon for a FREE 30 day trial. Reason? Accepting the trial saved me $44 in shipping costs on a very heavy item. Much to my surprise several people here slammed me with nasty comments for “cheating poor Amazon” for not being forthright or something that I never understood, much less gave a r*ts *ss about! 

Well…anyway I just want those people to know that NOT because they shamed me for having screwed poor ol’ Amazon over THEIR free offer. I have since joined! and have been paying for a monthly membership after that 30 day trial expired!

Am I really saving money in the long run? I’m not really sure, BUT just like tonight I wanted and ordered something costing a mere $12 and it should be here Saturday! And there was no additional “S&H” charge that would have cost me double had I ordered  from a catalogue. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    We also enjoy the Amazon Prime movie channel. And music and info from our Amazon Echo Show unit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    We also enjoy the Amazon Prime movie channel. And music and info from our Amazon Echo Show unit.
    See? Darian…I don’t even have a clue what it is I’m getting from this Prime membership! I wonder why they haven’t told me that, or where I can go find out! Off to bed now, though! BTW I heard from the chicken today!  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    You know Ron, realistically you could sell your gaskets on Amazon ..not that far fetched 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    RRP said:
    Photo Egg said:
    See? Darian…I don’t even have a clue what it is I’m getting from this Prime membership! I wonder why they haven’t told me that, or where I can go find out! Off to bed now, though! BTW I heard from the chicken today!  
    Believe me, @RRP, if you watch your emails, you will soon know all of the benefits.  They send a bunch of emails every month trying to show you all of the things they offer.  Some come with an additional fee (Music, unlimited kindle books, etc.)  But, many, like @Photo Egg mentioned are included (video, shipping, etc.)

I think you will find it is a valuable service.  If not, cancel.  You can turn it on and off at any time.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I think it’s a great deal. Lots of good stuff on prime video. I also pay annually. It is less expensive 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    To fully get use of Amazon video you should get a Fire Stick.  We love ours and much better than our TV's built in system.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    There's no such thing as "free shipping". Its worked in to the cost of the item charged to you. 

Very often, items on Amazon are pricier than elsewhere. Pool shock being the most recent example (Amazon= $6+/lb, walmart.com=$3.70+/lb).

But, its hard to beat the convenience of 2day, 1day, and now, overnight delivery. Also, their customer service is phenomenal. I can't recall ever not having an issue resolved to my satisfaction. 

Add to that their streaming services, and Prime membership is very much worth it to me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    how can you be wrong if it was offered free. i have prime mostly for work where i need things delivered relatively fast and cost is not always a concern.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Can also split your prime membership, and it's benefits, with 4 other people. Split the cost and it's downright cheap

Boom
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    There's no such thing as "free shipping". Its worked in to the cost of the item charged to you. 

Very often, items on Amazon are pricier than elsewhere. Pool shock being the most recent example (Amazon= $6+/lb, walmart.com=$3.70+/lb).

But, its hard to beat the convenience of 2day, 1day, and now, overnight delivery. Also, their customer service is phenomenal. I can't recall ever not having an issue resolved to my satisfaction. 

Add to that their streaming services, and Prime membership is very much worth it to me. 
    When you say very often prices are more on Amazon, are most actually Amazon or 3rd party sellers selling through Amazon?
    Heavy or large items are sometimes more. But it’s amazing that I have bought Blackstone Griddle and gallons of paint cheaper through Amazon than local.
    I also put items I’m interested in into my shopping cart and I get notified next time I open my cart if prices have changed. Some of the price drops have been fantastic, but many don’t last long but change often.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RyanStl
    Options
    I've noticed some thing are a lot more, like they really don't want to make a sale.  This goes for a lot of hardware items, such as spray paint.  You just have to pay attention.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Heartless bastards are going to put Walmart out of business 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I prefer eBay for rando and I try to support local business if I need paint I will go to the local hardware store
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I prefer eBay for rando and I try to support local business if I need paint I will go to the local hardware store
    I'm also a eBay guy. I purchased a flagpole for my wife for her birthday a few days back. I meant to get a LED solar light ordered online but I noticed it wouldn't be here in time for her birthday. I signed up for a free trial of Prime. I ordered the solar light yesterday afternoon and it was at my doorstep that evening. I finished her birthday shopping four days early now. I'm a Saint!  ;)

I've done that a few times now where I've signed up for Prime during the trial period and it has come in handy getting something shipped quickly. Otherwise I can't justify the $125+/year for Amazon since most of my purchases are through eBay. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RyanStl
    Options
    WeberWho said: I purchased a flagpole for my wife for her birthday a few days back.

End qoute.

My wife hates it when I try to give her a flag pole on her birthday.  =)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

When you say very often prices are more on Amazon, are most actually Amazon or 3rd party sellers selling through Amazon?
    Heavy or large items are sometimes more. But it’s amazing that I have bought Blackstone Griddle and gallons of paint cheaper through Amazon than local.
    I also put items I’m interested in into my shopping cart and I get notified next time I open my cart if prices have changed. Some of the price drops have been fantastic, but many don’t last long but change often.
    Haven’t looked that closely. I try to buy things that are sold, and fulfilled,  by Amazon as much as possible. Customer service dealings are a bit more tedious when dealing with 3rd party vendors. 

There’s also camelcamelcamel if you want to set price drop alerts, or see how the price of an item has changed over time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The Camel site doesn’t always catch the drops. But it’s great to check the price history.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll search Amazon warehouse deals for options.   Have bought a lot of stuff from them, almost everything in perfect condition and saved $$$.  It's mostly returns.

Paradoxically, some of my best deals were on consumables.  Like planer blades, sandpaper.  Who wants to buy used planer blades and sandpaper?  Exactly.

edited September 2021
    Options
    As had been said here before but in a different fashion…I really don’t shop Amazon for deals, but maybe I should, BUT I do like to buy some hardware and similar products not stocked in our locale. Therefore being able to (like I did last night)  buy 20 powerful rare earth magnets with countersunk holes PLUS getting them delivered in 2 days with no extra S&H added makes me happy! 

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Takes a big man to admit he was wrong. 

FWIW: I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong. 
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RRP said:
    As had been said here before but in a different fashion…I really don’t shop Amazon for deals, but maybe I should, BUT I do like to buy some hardware and similar products not stocked in our locale. Therefore being able to (like I did last night)  buy 20 powerful rare earth magnets with countersunk holes PLUS getting them delivered in 2 days with no extra S&H added makes me happy! 
    Love me some Rare Earth. Great 60’s band. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    I’m loosing you
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Installed hot water recirculating system under sink farthest from the tankless heater. Pump, steel hoses and swing gate check valve all from Amazon... did a lot of searches, couldn't find anything local with comparable build and price. All my kids have Prime.

canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Installed hot water recirculating system under sink farthest from the tankless heater. Pump, steel hoses and swing gate check valve all from Amazon... did a lot of searches, couldn't find anything local with comparable build and price. All my kids have Prime.

Nice sweat joints, and you didn't even burn your cabinet with the torch, Bravo!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options

Thanks! I protected the ABS, faucet hoses and cabinet with tiles raised on wood block. Pleasantly surprised that I didn’t need to take anything apart to resolder; was pissed that the hex nut on top of the check valve had a leak, fortunately tightening with a wrench fixed it. Also learned from online reviews to slip an O ring on the neck of steel hose ends. Frustrated that most plumbing accessories nowadays are no sweat compression or ‘bite’ type  :o
    canuckland
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options

Thanks! I protected the ABS, faucet hoses and cabinet with tiles raised on wood block. Pleasantly surprised that I didn’t need to take anything apart to resolder; was pissed that the hex nut on top of the check valve had a leak, fortunately tightening with a wrench fixed it. Also learned from online reviews to slip an O ring on the neck of steel hose ends. Frustrated that most plumbing accessories nowadays are no sweat compression or ‘bite’ type  :o
    Why?  Afraid of new technology?  Shark bite fittings are amazing
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    check out honey.com for a comparative app for items in amazon cart
    hth
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    stv8r said:

Why?  Afraid of new technology?  Shark bite fittings are amazing
    There are applications when press-fit connectors are appropriate, but by and large, any good professional plumber will use NPT or solder when they can.
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    check out honey.com for a comparative app for items in amazon cart
    hth
    This is what I used. Does anyone know if Camel is better? I've never heard of it until now.