Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best temperature control unit

Options
Hey there my fellow Eggers.  I know this question has been answered a number of times but I'm going to bring it up again as most of the info and posts are old.  I am researching the current crop of temperature control units and want to gauge this communities opinion on the one you think is the best in terms of ease of setup, getting to temp and other features like wifi and Bluetooth connectivity.  From previous posts, it is clear that a number of you have multiple units so I thought this would be the ideal place to get an unbiased opinion.  Stay safe, Be kind and keep on Egging.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    They all work great. Everyone is just going to recommend whatever they bought.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Flame Boss. Whatever model has the features you want/need

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Used my Flame Boss 500 last night.....love it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I'm in the camp of learning how to run your BGE w/o a controller so when whatever one you buy craps out you can still get a great result.  I don't own one.
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'd say buy as many as you can :) 

They all use a similar PID programming model, some with fancier features (like open lid detect) vs others.  From there, it's weatherproofing, WiFi enablement, GUI/ease of use and build quality.  Most are pretty good these days, agreed with @Thatgrimguy

If you're handy, the heatermeter DIY project was fun for me.  I also agree with @lousubcap - most of the time I just use the daisy wheel since it's easier.  I have a remote temp monitor to wake me up if needed.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hmmm…the BEST is the one you don’t buy thereby not wasting your money! Im just being honest after wasting $700 on a couple of them, one which went bad and the other I only used once. Save your money and just learn to use the simple to set, and simple to control BGE via the bottom vent and most of us further enhance the control with the daisy. You can thank me later!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    I agree with ron

it’s nice to have cruise control, but if you don’t know how to maintain a steady pace the old fashioned way, you don’t really know how to drive. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I’ve never looked at a controller as being a crutch or it doing something I can’t.  It’s just another toy to play with and allows one to remotely monitor and control long cooks.  Nothing wrong with that.

I use an Egg Genius and it works fine.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited August 2021
    Options

I like the convenience when I don't have the time to monitor it. 

I went with a smoke x4 with a billows. I'm told the billows is way too much fan for a large BGE but it works well for me. 

I like the handheld remote, and not having to use a tablet or smartphone as a remote. 

Edit. I should add, do your research of what matters to you. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    FWIW, I was happy with the Flame Boss 200 for several years, but replaced it this year with a Smobot. I like the Smobot much better because it seems to have a better algorithm for steady temp control.

Most of the time I just use the daisy wheel, but a controller is great for long cooks -- takes the stress out of the matter.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I went with a Smobot. I use it a few times per year. We entertain a lot during the summer and when people are here, they want to be on the beach or the boat during the day, so it definitely helps to have it. I like that it’s basically a passive controller with no fan and that I can monitor/change the cook from anywhere on my phone. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    edited August 2021
    Options
    waste my money on ac in the house, no way. at&t is taking my flip phone away and sending my a free smart phone when they cancel out my 3g plan, kinda pisses me off. rollup windows in the truck for 38 of 41 years of driving (i dont think automatic windows were an option in my current truck and im not particularly fond of carpets in there either). webers dont work at minus 20 degrees so i was stuck getting an egg. i do have the first guru pit master made, a damper plate with a thermal spring action, no fan, electricity needed =) seldom use the pit master, its just as easy to use the daisy.  set up for a low and slow, add meat, go to bed, wake up in the morning and check on things, get in the boat and leave til the afternoon, take meat out and eat. could someone explain why i need ac, rollup windows, a smart phone, a pit controller.....wait i do like having ac in the truck, after 38 of 41 years driving without it, i do find it nice as i get older, still not going to happen in the house, im not paying for that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    A controller is only a crutch if you don't learn how to use the BGE without one. Some also prefer turbo, which is fine, but if you prefer doing overnighters that is where the controller is most useful. I have no complaints about my smobot and I'm sure the others work well, too. I like being able to monitor and make adjustments from anywhere if I happen to be playing golf or running errands. I've paid far less for countless other mostly worthless tools or accessories, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another controller.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma bought the Smoke system from Thermoworks for my birthday.  I have the DigiQ2 system, but I think it’s run it’s course and dropping it didn’t help.  The Smoke system can be monitored and controlled by a smartphone.

It’ll get its maiden voyage this weekend with a couple of butts while I’m busy wrenching on my tractor and going to the parts store.
    Flint, Michigan
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I have a Thermoworks Smoke X4 with a Billows.  The Smoke X4 has it's own remote to display temps and alarms but does not have Wifi or Bluetooth. 

They have a similar unit called a Signals that does works with your smartphone but does not have a remote.

I really like being able to light the egg, set the temp, put on food and then go back to working in my home office and not worry about temps, while having the convenience of the temp of the grill and and the food right in front of me.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Thegrim1
    Options
    I have the old cyberq, never been an issue. Just works. Pain in the ass to set up on network though. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited September 2021
    Options
    on my 3rd cook on the XL I did a rack of spares . . . I thought it was stabilized @ 250 but ck'g 2 1/2 hrs later, temp had creaped up over 300 and they were IT'd in the done range.   Thinking I've always been old school w/o any temp control gadgets but maybe it's time.  I'm currently looking at a Flame Boss. Nearest BBQ store has it @ $349 . . . seriously considering it
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap