Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ooni Koda 12: First cook

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited August 2021 in EggHead Forum
Been eyeing these for years. Finally broke down and got one, and I only regret not getting one sooner.  This things is awesome.  I think we did good for our first time, though we didn't quite get the leoparding on the bottom of the crust that I had hoped for. I'm sure we'll figure it out.

First pie was just a plain cheese pizza using an old ball of dough from Ken Forkish's book that I had found in the freezer. It was the sacrificial one to learn what I was doing.

2nd was pepperoni using Ooni's pizza dough. 60% hydration I think.

Pepperoni and Italian sausage

Italian sausage

The required Margarita

Five pizzas in total. This was the leftovers. I guess 5 was to many for me, my wife and Duke to eat. LOL

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

4.jpg 2.4M

Comments

• Griffin
    Options

This was the dough from Elements of Pizza. I think it had the best "spring" to it.

Rowlett, Texas

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    You're making me hungry!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    15 months later I still love firing up my Ooni. Great pics. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Nice pies @Griffin   Nice to see you posting. I’m guessing the pizza was Duke approved 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Nice pies @Griffin   Nice to see you posting. I’m guessing the pizza was Duke approved 
    Thank you. They were Duke approved but I had to make sure to get him slices that weren't to dark on the crust.

Rowlett, Texas

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I usually don’t get leoparding on same day dough.  The same dough after a couple of days (best at 2-3 days) gets nice leoparding.

Options
    paqman said:
    I usually don’t get leoparding on same day dough.  The same dough after a couple of days (best at 2-3 days) gets nice leoparding.
    Thanks, the dough from Elements of Pizza cold fermented for 72 hours before it was frozen. The Ooni dough was cold fermented for 48 hours. 

Rowlett, Texas

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks awesome Griffin. I'm going to pull the trigger one day. But I need a new outdoor kitchen first.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Looks amazing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Your pizza skills are strong buddy!
    Pizzas look spectacular.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Those pies look great - nice cupping on the pepperoni!  Once again, this forum is going to cost me $$$.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    That’s a winner pie for sure
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Griffin said:
    paqman said:
    Thanks, the dough from Elements of Pizza cold fermented for 72 hours before it was frozen. The Ooni dough was cold fermented for 48 hours. 
    That should do the trick, they look good regardless!

Options
    Strong first run, @Griffin !

I've had my eye on the Ooni Koda 16" for almost a year now. Yet to pull the trigger, because I'm honestly afraid of the pizza rabbithole. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Great looking pies, Griffin!  You’ll have a lot of fun with that thing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Man they all look great…..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Good job! My first pies didn’t look nearly as good 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:

I've had my eye on the Ooni Koda 16" for almost a year now. Yet to pull the trigger, because I'm honestly afraid of the pizza rabbithole. 
    Just FYI…the legs fold under and it’s very easy to hide. Unlike the 150# meat slicer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Wonderful start. 

I am way overdue to pull my Ooni out and get it hot!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • abtaylor260
    Options
    Man I would pay good money to order one of those pies. I’ve been wanting to make pizza eventually but it seems a
    bit overwhelming. I have no knowledge on dough making at all. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Just FYI…the legs fold under and it’s very easy to hide. Unlike the 150# meat slicer.
     =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The pizza journey has been a long one for sure like for so many others. I feel like this last year, we’ve made pizzas almost once a week. Partially because I know Duke will eat it. Partially to nail that perfect pie. 

Overs the years, I’ve tried hand mixing, bread machines, stand up mixers and food processors. Currently back to hand mixing. 

I’ve tried same day doughs, 24, 48 and 72. And longer. 72 preferred. 

I’ve done the Egg, the oven, oven with pizza stone and oven with pizza steel and now Ooni. To early to say but first run, the Ooni has been my favorite. 

That being said, I still love a Detroit style or a cast iron pizza as well.

Definitely a rabbit hole always trying to make it better. 

Rowlett, Texas

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    i'd say that's an awesome result for first time use!

wife has been wanting one for awhile. i told her to get it but she's gotta figure out where to store the thing!  the egg makes a decent pizza, but they take me about 10 minutes to cook - slow way to knock out a bunch of food. and it takes a lot of coal to keep high temps for an hour or so of cooking.  the ooni would be way more efficient, i think.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Plutonium
    Options
    Looks great! What style of cheese was that? I usually use the fresh wet mozzarella in my ooni 3, but don’t always get the cheese to brown like that. 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Griffin
    Options
    Plutonium said:
    Looks great! What style of cheese was that? I usually use the fresh wet mozzarella in my ooni 3, but don’t always get the cheese to brown like that. 
    Except for the Margherita Pizza, they were all full fat mozzarella. In the brick form that I shredded.

Rowlett, Texas

• FunkytownEgger
    Options
    We have the Ooni Koda 16 and had trouble finding the right oven temp at first.  Finally got a thermal temp gun and found out having the center of the ceramic stone at around 750 degrees worked best for us, so I took a pencil and marked the Ooni propane temp knob so I know where to set it once it's up to temp to maintain that temperature.  We also like the 00 Caputo "Pizzeria" flour (the blue bag instead of the red), usually with a 24hr ferment, someday we need to experiment with longer ferments.

Really love making pizza on it, able to replicate our favorite neo pizza place pies.
  • Griffin
    Options
    We have the Ooni Koda 16 and had trouble finding the right oven temp at first.  Finally got a thermal temp gun and found out having the center of the ceramic stone at around 750 degrees worked best for us, so I took a pencil and marked the Ooni propane temp knob so I know where to set it once it's up to temp to maintain that temperature.  We also like the 00 Caputo "Pizzeria" flour (the blue bag instead of the red), usually with a 24hr ferment, someday we need to experiment with longer ferments.

Really love making pizza on it, able to replicate our favorite neo pizza place pies.
    We do a 72 hour ferment when we have time.

I get the blue bag as well.  This last order on Amazon, I ordered the blue bag but they shipped me red. :(

Rowlett, Texas