Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Helping a friend advice please

Had a friend call.  She wants to get a grill for her husband.  He is a charcoal cook.  I started throwing ideas.  Not an egg but the $399 ers.   She is trying to keep it in the $300 or less group.

I looked at a Dyna-Glo DGN576DNC-D from tractor supply.  Wasn't bad.  Don't know his level of knowledge. 

Any input welcomed.  Trying to be helpful but as an eager and wood fired guy this one is out of my league.   I'd be upset with an ole 22inch weber.  Not hating just it's such a plain grill.

He does not strike me as to care about the thinness of the metal or leaks of escaping air like us Eggers

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Find something second hand that's lightly used. It will get you a much nicer grill/smoker.

You could suggest an Akorn grill/smoker. It might be the best bang for your buck if you say Weber is out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    She could also look at the Masterbuilt gravity fed charcoal smoker. Lots of people like them over on the BBQ Brethren. The smaller one starts at 5 bills. The Char-Griller is about a $100 more but a little nicer. She might be able to find some sales on them coming this fall or possibly find one slightly used. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    There’s much fun to be had with one of these:

Weber 18-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, Charcoal Smoker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I8ZTJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FR0QHJZ2ZD8NWB3HBJ33

or a Pit Barrel Cooker. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sell her sell her your egg for $300!  =)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    PK Grill.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    caliking said:
    There’s much fun to be had with one of these:

Weber 18-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, Charcoal Smoker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I8ZTJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FR0QHJZ2ZD8NWB3HBJ33

or a Pit Barrel Cooker. 
    Seconded WSM, a great thing to have for anyone!

When looking at a 'regular' grill, I would advise anyone to get a Weber kettle to get started and then make them see how they need an egg...

All kidding aside, the above is actually good and well meant advice :D
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited August 2021
    What's the end game? Is he wanting to get into BBQ vs Grilling and you far wanting to stay under 30p all in ( there will ne accessories) a PPC will get you there, if you want versttility a WSM18 , but you are over your budget.....i donk know, but I have done plenty low and slow on a Weber and at $100+- for a 22 it can't be beat, toss in a nice chimney starter , bag of competition briquettes and some smoking chunks and you have a great gift and on budget g or all 

When each of my boys moved out on there own, they got that set up. They crank out some good grub 

Its not the cooker but the cook that makes it no matter the cost 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    She should take her husband to Lowes or wherever and let him pick.  I wouldn't want my wife to buy me a grill without my input.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Well she made a great decision.  Wayfair. $199.  Free shipping.  Thanks.  Love seeing excitement on a guy's face with a new grill.

Columbus, Ohio
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    PK or a Kettle Joe
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Even a bottle opener!  :triumph:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Im with @stlcharcoal I would get a PK grill. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • jdMyers
    She didn't want to spend the $
    Columbus, Ohio
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    That's pretty cheap. Does it look like it will hold up?  Cheap isn't always bad.  I used a Char Griller offset smoker for about 15 years.  I sanded and repainted it a few times, and replaced the guts once.  Got $50 for it when I sold it.
  • I’m going to jump into this thread, the Owner of the Company I work for wants to get a gasser for the office. Any suggestions? We wouldn’t be doing big time meals, just lunch fare. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I’m going to jump into this thread, the Owner of the Company I work for wants to get a gasser for the office. Any suggestions? We wouldn’t be doing big time meals, just lunch fare. 
    i'd go to home depot and buy whatever nexgrill they have on sale this weekend, nothing fancy.  i've cooked on a few recently and was impressed - hard to beat for the money.  BIL has had one outside, uncovered, for a few years and it's held up just fine in the elements.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    I’m going to jump into this thread, the Owner of the Company I work for wants to get a gasser for the office. Any suggestions? We wouldn’t be doing big time meals, just lunch fare. 

we have a gasser at work, convenience and time restraints is key. betting your boss thinks so too ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jdMyers
    I have to say in person his grill is beefy for the money.  The fact that the entire coal rack raises and lowers is very nice.  Makes cleanup very easy.  Well built for what it is.   He is very happy.  She did good.  
    Columbus, Ohio