Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Sauce Recommendations

Im planning to do a brisket this weekend and I'm wondering if you guys could recommend a bbq sauce to go with it. 

I might have to go with a homemade sauce at this point if anyone has a recommendation or a bottled sauce and I could see what my local bbq shop might have on hand. 

Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Man, I usually go no sauce…..when i offer it, it’s Sweet Baby Rays or Maull’s Sweet and Smokey. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Bar said:

Yeah, we have a no steak sauce policy here at the house. Not really but you won't find any here at the house. I'm doing the brisket for my dad and sisters birthday. So It's more or less for others that will be joining us. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Jack Stacks ain't 1/2 bad

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Never have with brisket but Blues Hog original is great, and so are their other offerings.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Blues Hog Tennessee Red is a nice vinegary sauce. Not sure on its local availability for you
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,430
    Published by Cooks Illustrated in (I believe) 2000, it's all I've used with my own briskets (and I've modded it a tiny bit, per the recipe).

2 Tblspns butter
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1.5 tsp red chile powder (not chili powder)
    2 cups tomato juice (I use Campbells, it does make a difference)
    1/2 cup white vinegar*
    2 Tblspns Washyersister Sauce
    1/2 tsp mustard powder, reconstituted in a bit of water
    1 tsp minced chipotle pepper
    2 Tblspns molasses
    1.5 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Melt the butter, saute the onion then the garlic and the chile until soft/aromatic; add the rest and simmer 20 minutes or so.  

*the original recipe called for 1/4 cup of vinegar while cooking, then the other 1/4 cup before serving; I couldn't taste a difference so opted for simplicity.  

I've always served this sauce on the side, and as several above have mentioned, I ask my guests to try the brisket w/o sauce first, then have at it (gotta admit, I love both).  

@WeberWho, pics of your weekend feast, please!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’d stay clear of the sweet stuff traditionally used on pork and chicken and go with a bold savory sauce like the spicy Jack Sack mentioned above. Traeger makes a bold brisket sauce too. Egg also has a bourbon sauce among others. Enjoy. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    For straight brisket, I go no sauce. If I'm making a brisket sandwich, I like Lillies Smoky.

https://lilliesq.com/collections/sauce

Mountain View, CA
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    I often like no sauce on mine, but I resort to Stubbs Original when I do sauce though. Peppery Texas style, not sweet. Complements beef very well and is what I like to add when I make chopped beef. Pretty good for a sliced beef sandwich too, paired with onions and pickles of course. 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    elderwards recipe is simple and similar to stubbs but better.

• 1 C ketchup (Hot type)
    • 1 C water (bottled plain if you have fluorinated/treated) yuck:~(
    • ¼ C apple cider vinegar
    • 1 onion chopped fine
    • 3 cloves crushed garlic or 1 clove elephant garlic from Gilroy, CA
    • 2 Tbs. brown sugar
    • 2 Tbs. molasses (How can y'all have Mo lasses if you ain't had lasses da furst time?)
    • 2 Tbs. dry mustard (Coleman's English double fine is good)
    • 1 tsp.. cayenne or one fresh cut into ringlets seeds and all.
    Simmer for twenty minutes over low heat.

im thinking a chimichurri sauce would be good, never tried it with brisket but cant see it not being good, maybe one of the red ones with fish sauce

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    WeberWho said:
    I found a bottle of spicy Jack Stacks bbq sauce in the pantry. My wife asked what I was shuffling through the cabinet for? My response, "I'm looking at what we have for bbq sauce." Her response, "For brisket? If you knew how to make it right you wouldn't need bbq sauce!" 

I knew I married her for all the right reasons!  =)
    Just put out a bottle of Catsup for the guests.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2021
    kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:
    I found a bottle of spicy Jack Stacks bbq sauce in the pantry. My wife asked what I was shuffling through the cabinet for? My response, "I'm looking at what we have for bbq sauce." Her response, "For brisket? If you knew how to make it right you wouldn't need bbq sauce!" 

I knew I married her for all the right reasons!  =)
    Just put out a bottle of Catsup for the guests.  
    I like the way you think. I'd probably get a couple pats on the back from family members if I had ketchup on hand. Not because they would want it on brisket but I usually don't have it on hand. I know we've brought back some fast food when working on a project here at the house and my Dad will ask for ketchup for his fries. I've had to break the news a few different times we didn't have any. Bbq sauces bumped ketchup from the fridge many years ago. Not intentionally but I always grab bbq sauce if there's a place for ketchup. A bottle of ketchup will end up in the fridge during the softball season or making bbq sauce but I can't recall the last time I've gone out and bought ketchup outside a recipe or I'm buying it for someone else. 

Minnesota
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    buzd504 said:
    Make a horseradish cream sauce.
    Alabama white sauce, which is basically the above