Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zucchini

Looking for tried and true kick-butt zucchini recipes.

And nobody better suggest zucchini ribs, I’m not falling for that!!!

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Zucchini pizza boats.  Slice in half lengthwise, scoop out insides, add sauce/toppings/cheese.  Bake around 350 for 10-15 minutes.  Caution, insides will be HOT.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    One of my favorites. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    My mom makes an awesome zucchini bread.....has crushed pineapple in it too.  Very good.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Nothing on the Egg, but thinly sliced and fried in olive oil is good.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    If you have a slicer or mandolin, slice them lengthwise and make lasagna. I did this for the first time the other night and it was pretty good.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Zoodles are fun and easy. If you have a spiralizer.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2021
    If you have a slicer or mandolin, slice them lengthwise and make lasagna. I did this for the first time the other night and it was pretty good.

They didn't dump a bunch of water out during the bake? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I’ve done this with lasagna, it probably does shed a bunch of water, but it must’ve evaporated, I didn’t have any issues with it being too liquid.  I’ve also sautéed the Duke ribbons first, but I don’t recall a big difference. 

All veg lasagna sheds more water in general if you don’t precook veg.  Longer cook time or lower temp would help.

• PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    My mom makes an awesome zucchini bread.....has crushed pineapple in it too.  Very good.
    Can I get your mom’s number?  You can DM me.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Hmm.
    I'd suggest bagging all the zucchini into shopping bags.  Hit a church parking lot at 8:10, 9:10, or 10:10 am on a Sunday.  Cruise the parking lot slowly, and every open car window, make a donation.  
    Hit the drivethru and grab a bucket of chicken on the way home.   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• I like easy.  Slice them into 1/4 inch thick rounds and place them on an olive oiled sheet pan.  Add SPG and shredded Parmesan.  Bake at 375 to 400 until nearly tender and broil for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese.  Delicious!
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Botch said:
    Hmm.
    I'd suggest bagging all the zucchini into shopping bags.  Hit a church parking lot at 8:10, 9:10, or 10:10 am on a Sunday.  Cruise the parking lot slowly, and every open car window, make a donation.  

Agreed. Zucchini is not ever on my grocery list, neither is stinky pee weed. (asparagus). 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Botch said:
    Hmm.

I flagged you. For zucchini abuse. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cut zukes in half the long way, then cut half inch slices. saute zucchini and onion, lastly add garlic and halved cherry tomatoes and chopped basil. dump into greased lasagna tray. top with a three cheese blend (theres a recipe link here somewhere for it). the mix panko with grated parmigiana mixed with a little olive oil on top and bake at 350 til brown on top, about a half hour serve with a little more basil. used to add some sauce as well but liking it straight up right now. recipe cant be messed up

this one is green and golden zukes

this ones all green as i had more.  served with a full rack of corn ribs

The three cheese blend you referred to?
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    For the grill I keep it real simple.  Cut in quarters lengthwise, if thick make a couple more slices. The idea is big enough to prevent from falling through the grates.  Coat in olive oil, sprinkle S&P, garlic powder, and oregano.  Or use your bbq rub. Grill direct to your liking.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Sorry, I can't think of anything that would make zucchini even remotely palatable. Maybe bread or raw in a salad.

Then again, this just popped up on YouTube and it actually looks pretty good...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lI_zOkuY34

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2021
    we love zukes !! I have this one from FOOD52 saved to try - the vid made it look super simple for a crispy fried side.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/food52.com/recipes/36970-roman-zucchini-fritters-with-parmigiano-cheese/amp

It’s my 5 yr olds fav food, our method is similar to others . . we just slice pretty thin, maybe 1/5” inch or so, (IF you have time - salt slices for a bit in open air to pull some moisture then wash off salt, pat with Paper Towels) toss slices in bowl with EVOO, Salt & Pepper,sometimes hit with parm too . . Then plop into 400 degree oven (tip is let baking tray preheat so bottoms of zuke brown along with top) cook until color is right, sometimes flip them during cook and sometimes finish with broil, goal is to get browning on both sides . . My 5 yr old can finish a big zuke in one sitting this way, also we sometimes add a summer squash to the mix following same exact steps  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • PeteSliver
    Thanks for all of the ideas, even the zucchini haters.

@stlcharcoal thank your mom for me

We made these last night

https://www.foodandwine.com/drinks/make-refreshing-zucchini-cocktail-now

which were really good, you can taste the zucchini but it’s not strong, just adds to the herby profile.

We also made zucchini ravioli following this recipe 

https://www.asaucykitchen.com/zucchini-ravioli/

which was excellent, but it needs some small tweaks for next time.  1/4” is just too thick for the zucchini or I need to weep it much longer.  It didn’t hold its shape, so it was kind of a messy lasagna. The roasted and burst tomatoes and the pesto ricotta mixed to make an incredible sauce, if only I had a loaf of sourdough on hand to get it all.
  • I just has no flavor to me.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I just has no flavor to me.
    Mild for sure, like eggplant.  The tofu of the veg world.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Legume said:
    There are plenty of vegetables that have a distinct smell, but don't have much else in the categories of taste senses and mouth-feel.  Doesn't mean you can't fill those in (sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami aka savoriness).  Texture can be varied by how much you cook it.

Not so secret Chinese secret: balance all those and you have a tasty dish from just about any primary ingredient.

Legume said:
    There are plenty of vegetables that have a distinct smell, but don't have much else in the categories of taste senses and mouth-feel.  Doesn't mean you can't fill those in (sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami aka savoriness).  Texture can be varied by how much you cook it.

Not so secret Chinese secret: balance all those and you have a tasty dish from just about any primary ingredient.

If only the British had discovered this secret.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume said:

I'm like, then why by it if it is just filler for the other ingredients? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Legume said:

That's a great question and now I'm second guessing my decision to buy and stock flour, rice, eggplant, lettuce, etc.  Thanks so much!

That's a great question and now I'm second guessing my decision to buy and stock flour, rice, eggplant, lettuce, etc.  Thanks so much!

I agree. not much of any of those in my house. Unless; Lettuce, yes but it is the main item for a salad , not the conduit for salad dressing. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    Legume said:

I agree. not much of any of those in my house. Unless; Lettuce, yes but it is the main item for a salad , not the conduit for salad dressing. 

salads are so much better without lettuce, i would use zuchinni first
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I like aubergines!

XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • PeteSliver
    I like aubergines!

Me too, but I really love courgette.

I can’t begin to understand dry salad guy though.