Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low And Slow Tritip

Options
I know yall think im crazy for cooking tritip this way but I go slow and slow.  250 for around 6 hours until IT of 200.  When I dont want to make a full brisket this is really great.  Plus the family likes meat a little less fatty then I do.  

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    However you get the results you want is all that matters.  Looks great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Kiler results, I do them like this...watch the grain shifts in that bad boy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I was wondering if I cut it the wrong way.  You got any advice?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    lkapigian said:

This will usually get you close, about half way , on average , is where it shifts ---really not a big deal when you are cooking it the way you do as it is damn near fork tender 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Smoked Tri Tip - A Pinch of Salt Lake
    Those diagrams are helpful.  I also like to take a picture of the tri-tip before I season it and throw it on.  It’s pretty easy to see the direction of the grain before it’s cooked. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I do low and slow but we like it more med rare. 

I smoke at 180 to 200F until internal is 120F. 

I pull it, rest it and cut along the seam and then reverse sear. I find cutting it keeps the tips from over cooking as I can sear the cut side first, and it helps with carving as I can see the grain. 

I stopped measuring temps and go more by the feel of the meat, but I was shooting for 135F. 

If friends are over that want med I'll cook one end a bit longer. 

Tri tip is a cut that I like closer to medium than rare. 

edit: this is a pre-sear pic.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

This will usually get you close, about half way , on average , is where it shifts ---really not a big deal when you are cooking it the way you do as it is damn near fork tender 
    WOW This is helpful!!!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That tri tip looks mighty fine!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    This is one is on the rare side of med rare. 

This was closer to medium.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    danhoo said:
    This is one is on the rare side of med rare. 

I like it!  A good vet would have it back on its feet in no time!
    Clinton, Iowa