Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn ribs

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    holding out for the mc-corn rib sandwich
    but....i had no idea

How To Make Spiced Corn Ribs Corn 39Riblets39 - Alphafoodie

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this. 

Its corn. It may be delicious. Then it would be delicious corn. But, still not ribs. 

Banana peel bacon... is banana peels. It may be delicious. Then it would be delicious banana peels. But, still not bacon.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I like the idea.  I think it would be a good conversation ender at the neighborhood BBQ.  People always walk by and ask, "what's cookin'?"  I would love to say "Corn Ribs".   

I always get a few nervous looks and laughs with "buffalo turds", "cookies", "brownies", and "Devils on Horseback".  I think Corn Ribs would cause people to walk faster.

I'm in!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    So I looked into these a bit more, and I have to say - I'm up for giving them a shot.  I don't care what they're called they look pretty good to me.  Lots of recipes out there.  Seems like it would be plenty easy to do them on the BGE. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    So I looked into these a bit more, and I have to say - I'm up for giving them a shot.  I don't care what they're called they look pretty good to me.  Lots of recipes out there.  Seems like it would be plenty easy to do them on the BGE. 

i still dont see it with a traditional bbq sauce. something like this might improve on the idea

Taiwanese Grilled Corn
    4 tablespoons soy paste
    1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
    4-5 cloves of garlic, smashed
    hot chili sauce (optional)

fukahwee maine

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    How many people will chop off a finger cutting through corn cobs with a dull knife?  The prep can't be easy.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    How many people will chop off a finger cutting through corn cobs with a dull knife?  The prep can't be easy.
    Indeed, one video I watched on this made that quite clear.  There's some technique there, aside from having the correct knife.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I'll stick with Mexican street corn.  I'm no knife master but the one's I use are sharp.  Figure that's one less challenge and skill-set that's too late for me to master.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Going to pass on this. Seems like corn on the cob with more work involved.
  • caliking
    Options
    Yes, many cuisines/cultures do grilled corn in different ways. And its delicious. They're just not delusional enough, or find the need,  to  call it by some meatful name. 

Good God, man!! Is nothing sacred anymore?!?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Yes, many cuisines/cultures do grilled corn in different ways. And its delicious. They're just not delusional enough, or find the need,  to  call it by some meatful name. 

“I don’t care what they’re called”

What, they don’t teach reading in butt-doctor school anymore?!?!?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Still safer than this 

https://youtu.be/GLay3xY-8zk
    I had to work way too hard to actually watch that video just to see some fool knock his own teeth out with a piece of corn.  But… thanks, I guess?
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

“I don’t care what they’re called”

What, they don’t teach reading in butt-doctor school anymore?!?!?
    Unless there was stool passing in close proximity to it, I usually didn't pay attention.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Legume said:
    Still safer than this 

I had to work way too hard to actually watch that video just to see some fool knock his own teeth out with a piece of corn.  But… thanks, I guess?
    You have more patience than I do, it required a login so I’m out. Thanks for the review 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Legume said:
    Still safer than this 

I would venture that the teeth knock-out was fake as there was no immediate red juice on him or the corn when it happened.  But I may have missed it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Saw Pioneer Woman do these on Food Network last weekend. I like the basic idea.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'll stick with Mexican street corn.  I'm no knife master but the one's I use are sharp.  Figure that's one less challenge and skill-set that's too late for me to master.  
    Where is it on the difficulty spectrum compared to running a nuclear submarine?  
  • Legume
    Options
    I think we need a corn rib throwdown.
  • Legume
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    caliking said:

Guess I won't share my recipe for corn steaks then.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    I haven't researched, because I'll never make these, but am sort of curious... the cob is treated as the rib bone?  Or are people actually eating that?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    I haven't researched, because I'll never make these, but am sort of curious... the cob is treated as the rib bone?  Or are people actually eating that?
    Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSV67sbMYv8
  • caliking
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

would they be 1/2" steaks?

• fishlessman
    Options
    seems like a waste to toss the corn rib tips :o
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

would they be 1/2" steaks?

Is there any other kind?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Options
    I think these are just an interesting diversion into veg that imitates meat.  @caliking has set the bar much higher with that corn lobster he posted.  Very well executed, the carving alone must’ve taken hours.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    corn tentacles for those that dont eat meat, theres always one

fukahwee maine

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I agree with Frank on this one.  A lot of options for corn with much less risk of injury. I recently got around to making a corn dish I printed years ago after seeing on DDD and neighbors really enjoyed. Here’s a link… https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bacorn-cheese-3500698
    I didn’t want an overly sweet version so I opted for Heavy Cream versus Condensed Milk and I’ll definitely make again.  It’ll be sizzling like Fajitas when you add it to the CI skillet so makes for a nice presentation as well. 

If there’s a chance of digit loss than it’s going to have to involve whipped cream and a vertically challenged cocktail server, but I digress.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen