Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Strip Loin Dilemma

Keyrock
Keyrock Posts: 13
Need some help. A friend gets packer briskets from "a guy" a couple of times a year. He gives them to me and we have a bunch of guys over (usually 10-15) for a big lunch. Last week he said he was getting another one, so we planned to have our big lunch this Friday. He dropped it off with me on Tuesday and it turned out not to be a brisket but a 20 lb beef strip loin (I think. It had no label on it - see picture).

I've never tried to cook anything like this. I don't have the grill capacity to cut it into steaks (New York strips?). Just my large Egg. I'm considering roasting it at around 250 and doing a reverse sear at the end (seems popular on YouTube). Just wondering what other methods I might want to consider. Also, it definitely won't fit on the Egg in its current state. I'm considering doing half in a roaster and possibly doing a reverse sear on the Egg after the other half is done. 

Appreciate any tips on prep and on sides and sauces. Thanks.

Comments

• Keyrock
    Keyrock Posts: 13
    Sorry for the double post. I thought I had accidentally deleted my original one.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    perfect for a roast.  cut it whatever size you want, half works.  a little salt and pepper, indirect at whatever low temp you can maintain.  maybe add a little oak.  Cook to 110F, pull off let rest.  Fire up the egg for a direct sear for a minute or two on each side.  Cut up serve and eat.
    rather than ending with a sear on the grate it might be apropos in your case to throw it right on the coals for a "caveman" finish.
    It's basically like doing a prime rib or a tenderloin. Your plan is perfect.
    Stillwater, MN
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited July 2021
    I’m likely wrong, bu to me that looks more like a deboned rib roast.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Looks fantastic! I think @CTMike nailed the ID and the cut shots seem to back that up.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Well executed.  Sounds like a great time was had by all.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I’d like to have a “guy” donate something like that to me a few times per year.  Wow that was a large hunk of beef.   Great looking cook.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Yeah, that does look like deboned Prime Rib.