Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still love pizza on the BGE

Options
Greetings- 
SWMBO had a request for pizza last night so I was happy to oblige. Dough was from our favorite bakery, I had to request an order but they had it ready the next day. Pepperoni, mushroom, house grown sweet peppers, and bacon. I used slices of mozzarella, I have found it melts evenly in my set up.

Got the Egg to 625 degrees and on she went.

I know parchment paper is sometimes unpopular but I like using it to help with rotation and plating.

I forgot to roll the edges to contain the sauce but the finished product was really tasty!

Paired with a caprese salad of house grown rapunzel and chocolate sprinkles cherry tomatoes & a Napa Cab. 

Thanks for looking, stay safe!

Cheers,

Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Good looking pie - especially the nice browning on top, which I find hard to achieve in the egg.  Did you just go raised direct on the pizza stone, with no  other deflector in between?
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Great looking cook and meal.  Thanks for posting it
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Man that looks amazing. I gotta get the sliced mozz next time I do pies.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I made 4 Pizzas last on the egg.

Had been buying dough balls from store- always doughy
    Switched to Weisenberger Pizza Crust Mix but hadnt quite got it right.  Family always noting its still a bit doughy.

Ran it at 450 for an hour to get everything stable and then dropped 4 pizzas back to back.  Well after maybe 9 minutes a pie all the crusts were now too crispy.

Oh well the joys of trials to nail it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    great cook . . . love pizza on da egg!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I made 4 Pizzas last on the egg.

Had been buying dough balls from store- always doughy
    Switched to Weisenberger Pizza Crust Mix but hadnt quite got it right.  Family always noting its still a bit doughy.

Ran it at 450 for an hour to get everything stable and then dropped 4 pizzas back to back.  Well after maybe 9 minutes a pie all the crusts were now too crispy.

Oh well the joys of trials to nail it.
    I run 450° with plate setter in, legs up and pizza
    stone On top of grate. 14” pies, 12 minutes a pie: 8 minutes on the airbake pan or pizza screen on top of the stone, then slide off onto the stone directly for the last 4 minutes. Brick oven pizza-grade pies every time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Before Covid, my neighbors used to come over for pizza night, we rolled out pizzas with whatever we had left in the fridges. It was always a good time. Had some great ones and some we still joke about. Good food, good friends, good times.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Powak said:
    I run 450° with plate setter in, legs up and pizza
    stone On top of grate. 14” pies, 12 minutes a pie: 8 minutes on the airbake pan or pizza screen on top of the stone, then slide off onto the stone directly for the last 4 minutes. Brick oven pizza-grade pies every time.
    Thats my basic set up- CGS Oval deflector, Grid at felt, Stone on Grid, Pizza Screen on stone.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    Good looking pie - especially the nice browning on top, which I find hard to achieve in the egg.  Did you just go raised direct on the pizza stone, with no  other deflector in between?
    Greetings- Yes, I raise the grid to the felt line, then put 3 terra cotta plant feet on the grid under the stone. I preheat the stone for 3ish minutes before the pie goes on. I also let the cheese and toppings sit out on the counter while the grill is getting heated up to raise their temperature so they will melt/heat up closer to the rate of the crust browning.

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    So, my buddy has been doing pizza on his BGE for a while ... his last cook he complained the pizza picked up a "greasy" taste ... he's sure it's because of all the meat drippings on his plate setter ... he doesn't use a drip pan, even though I've warned him a few times.

He cooks the pizza directly on the plate setter, but he reverses the plate setter so he has a "pizza side" and a "meat side" ... still got that greasy taste. Not sure if it's from the smoke, or just oozed through the plate (ceramic is porous). 

I'm wondering ... will parchment paper like you have in that photo at the top fix his problem?  Or does he have to do a high temperature cleanse before making the pizza, to get rid of his greasy pizza problem?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That is the saddest excuse for a round pizza…since the last pie I made. Ha Ha
    I gave up trying for round.
    Nothing better than a homemade pie with some character!
    I’m sure it was delicious.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Conman64
    Options
    I would chow on that and that salad. Looks Great!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    maybe you should try shapes of the states!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Photo Egg said:
    maybe you should try shapes of the states!  =)
    I’m better off treating my pies as clouds and guessing the shape after they are cooked.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I'm also a non circle, abstract guy.  Like OP also like sauce and cheese go to the edge with no rolled crust.  Crust is a waste.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    So, my buddy has been doing pizza on his BGE for a while ... his last cook he complained the pizza picked up a "greasy" taste ... he's sure it's because of all the meat drippings on his plate setter ... he doesn't use a drip pan, even though I've warned him a few times.

He cooks the pizza directly on the plate setter, but he reverses the plate setter so he has a "pizza side" and a "meat side" ... still got that greasy taste. Not sure if it's from the smoke, or just oozed through the plate (ceramic is porous). 

I'm wondering ... will parchment paper like you have in that photo at the top fix his problem?  Or does he have to do a high temperature cleanse before making the pizza, to get rid of his greasy pizza problem?
    Greetings- It might help although it is not a complete barrier for liquid. I use to avoid the pizza from sticking to the stone and the parchment paper makes it really easy to turn the pizza to get even cooking.

I think it would be a good experiment to at least try and see if it does make a difference.

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO