Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I ruin my egg? Melted plastic

Options
A long handled grate scraper (plastic) melted to almost nothing over 2-3 hours - it must have been at the bottom of my woo setup and the pizza stone was blocking it. So it sat right in the coals and cheerily melted to nothing.

Did I ruin my egg with all those toxic fumes? I know I ruined all the meat at minimum.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Kill it with fire! 600F for an hour and then carry on as normal.
    Mountain View, CA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would remove everything form the egg and physically clean it prior to the high heat burn off. maybe you will get rid of a portion of the toxicity prior to the fumigation. good luck.
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    I would remove everything form the egg and physically clean it prior to the high heat burn off. maybe you will get rid of a portion of the toxicity prior to the fumigation. good luck.
    What would you clean it with?
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    Whiskey, of course.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    yes tell me where i can pick it up and dispose of it for you.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Your hand. Just pick out any chunks of plastic, reload and heat it up to burn off anything that could cause plastic fumes or taste to your next cook. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Your hand. Just pick out any chunks of plastic, reload and heat it up to burn off anything that could cause plastic fumes or taste to your next cook. 
    yeah, and I'd scrape anything down with a putty knife that i could.
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    sounds like you’re good to go sounds like you’re good to go. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Whiskey, of course.
    How I see this playing out…

Step 1) Consume whiskey.
    Step 2) Forget your troubles. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Whiskey, of course.
    How I see this playing out…

Step 1) Consume whiskey.
    Step 2) Forget your troubles. 
    Yep.  PeteSliver strikes me as the sort who cleans on the inside first, before worrying about any appearance on the outside.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    A long time ago, Jr. Samples was the entertainment at our local Expo, held in an old tobacco warehouse.  He was napping in the back of a station wagon parked behind the stage.  When it was his show time, he came out of the station station with sweat beads covering his face and made his way to the stage.  He opened his show with the following, " if you drop a worm into a glass of water, it will swim around.  If you drop a worm into a glass of whiskey, it will die.  Just goes to show you that if you drink plenty of whiskey, you'll never have worms."    Some advice in life is never forgotten.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    W.C. Fields famous said “I never drink water, fish **** in it”.