Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Absolutely wonderful salmon tonight.

Options
No pics this thread, I have to get them from my phone to my laptop for posting here and it's not an effort I will make.

If you want pics, suggest you leave this thread now.

If you want to know how to cook mouth watering salmon consistently read on.

We consistently  have absolutely wonderful salmon on the Kamado oven. Big green eggs are Kamado ovens and so are a number of others

Raised grid (4 inches above gasket level) is how I do them.

Dome temp of 400 degrees. I always stabilize at the temp for 10 minutes. This not only stabilizes the surrounding ceramic it stabilizes the coals. Works for me.

Salmon comes from various grocery stores, but we only buy it with the skin on one side. Haven't been able to get consistent results from salmon with no skin.

Cook with skin side down and don't bother to turn.

I use a thermopen to cook to internal temp. Others may work fine, but thermopen gives me consistency.

We like ours cooked to 140 internal, and many (most?) will want it more done. To each his own. I like shashimi, my wife would never eat. If you prefer yours more done, adjust internal temp as needed.

I have learned that since my wife likes hers a little more done, I just place her part more over the coals. Works for us.

I also learned that sometimes just one small area of fish won't come up to temp, and I will just take it out anyhow knowing that when it sits in tinfoil for five minutes it will be fine. Otherwise, if I wait for just a small area to come up the rest will not be as moist as I like.

We also usually put our personal favorite seasoning over the side we plan to eat. I love Tsunami Spin on mine usually she will use something different.

Stabilize for ten minutes, and let everything sit in tinfoil for five minutes has worked well for me.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’ve said it before but check out Wild Alaskan Company for great salmon and more from great responsible people. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Left the thread😜
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cloud storage should be grabbing all your phone data and making it available for a phone restore/upgrade and use on your computer.  Unless IOS or Android don't work on your phone, you're probably already doing it.
    Options
    EggersRUs said:

I also learned that sometimes just one small area of fish won't come up to temp, and I will just take it out anyhow knowing that when it sits in tinfoil for five minutes it will be fine. Otherwise, if I wait for just a small area to come up the rest will not be as moist as I like.

Stabilize for ten minutes, and let everything sit in tinfoil for five minutes has worked well for me.
    You mention "in tin foil for five minutes" twice.  Photos would really help me understand.

But, I am glad it works for you!  I really enjoy salmon on the egg, too!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'll say it... So much effort put in to typing so many words, but not a single pic.

That's weak sauce.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggersRUs
    EggersRUs Posts: 38
    Options
    I’ve said it before but check out Wild Alaskan Company for great salmon and more from great responsible people. 
    Thanks, will check it out.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    Just log in to the site using your phone.  Then you can post pics directly from your phone to the site - no need to go through your computer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2021
    Options
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    I think this sounds great and I’m going to try it.

Thank you for the #salminspiration
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    So, cook to temp.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    The million+ pictures of salmon/foil already available on the webz hasn't really provided clarity on this procedure. I think I need the salmon/foil equivalent of a "three cheese blend" video.
    I mean do I just lay a piece of foil on top of the fish like I might when resting some other protein for a few minutes before serving? Do I lift up the fish and place it ON the foil and then close the foil around the fish? If I do that do I "tent" the foil around the fish or fold it tight to the fish?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The million+ pictures of salmon/foil already available on the webz hasn't really provided clarity on this procedure. I think I need the salmon/foil equivalent of a "three cheese blend" video.
    I mean do I just lay a piece of foil on top of the fish like I might when resting some other protein for a few minutes before serving? Do I lift up the fish and place it ON the foil and then close the foil around the fish? If I do that do I "tent" the foil around the fish or fold it tight to the fish?

Next time you try this, take pictures of each step.  Then if you post them here, maybe one of us can help ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike