Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster Tail Recipe

Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
Does anyone have a good recipe for lobster tails.
Normally I get frozen tails ... cut the top of the shell, pull out the meat and rest on top of shell.
Then I cook, and in parallel, I'll melt butter add in a heaped teaspoon of chopped garlic, and some salt.

It's okay, but it kind of lacks flavor ... even with the garlic butter drizzled all over it.

What am I doing wrong?
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2021
    I love lobster myself but I do not do anything much different than you. I spilt the shell leave lobster in it. I then salt it and let it cook to internal temp. I serve with Kerrygold melted butter.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    theres lots of stuffed recipes out there, lots stuffed with crab stuffing. if its a maine style lobster though, i can say i honestly dont like them grilled
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Kill it and cook it fairly fast.  It can turn black. 

This is why:

• Lobster tails were born for sous vide cooking, IMO. Helps maintain all moisture, including all the natural brine. Because you’re not doing anything to the texture (e.g., searing), SV is the perfect choice. Throw a few knobs of butter into your ziplock or vac-sealer bags along with some garlic and let her rip. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Do you guys add anything to the butter other than garlic and some salt? I see pictures of lobster tails with some kind of herb seasoning, sometimes even a redish seasoning ... what is that?
  • fishlessman
    i would be hung serving lobster with garlic in it in new england though i do like it.  mostly we use the butter used for the steamer clams and its either just melted or clarified drawn butter
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    i would be hung serving lobster with garlic in it in new england though i do like it.  mostly we use the butter used for the steamer clams and its either just melted or clarified drawn butter
    Are you saying you don't put anything on your lobster?  Boil or steam in water and eat.

Are you saying you don't put anything on your lobster?  Boil or steam in water and eat.

steamed served with a bowl of drawn or melted butter. i dont dip, i drown it it the bowl. steamers are dipped in clam broth, then drawn butter
    fukahwee maine

• Mark_B_Good
    Is that a salted butter, or unsalted?
  • fishlessman
    Do you guys add anything to the butter other than garlic and some salt? I see pictures of lobster tails with some kind of herb seasoning, sometimes even a redish seasoning ... what is that?

the red might be lobster roe, i see it added into newburg sometimes.  with the butter, i only have salted in the fridge
    fukahwee maine

• NorthEgg
    NorthEgg Posts: 18
    Attached is the sous vide lobster tail recipe from Cooks Illustrated. Pretty hard to not make great lobster tail IMHO.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    steamed served with a bowl 
    At first glance without my glasses on I thought you said served with a bowel. I was about to give you the SGH Seal Of Approval a million times over. Lobster and bowel. You talk about the pinnacle of fine dining. 
    Atlas, it was not to be unfortunately.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Three guesses (that would all be great on lobster):  smoked paprika, cayenne, or Old Bay seasoning.  Dried chipotle may be a bit much, but I see a taste testing in my near future...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited July 2021
    I made this lobster oil, when I SV’ed some tails several years ago. It’s one of the best things I’ve made. 

Yes, it takes a little effort, but so damn worth it. 

Lobster oil. (Adapted from Tom Aikens)
    Thyme sprig, fresh  1 piece
     Fennel bulb  1 piece
     Shallots, chopped  2 pieces
     Garlic cloves, smashed   3 pieces
     Olive oil 700ml
     Star anise 6 pieces
     Black peppercorn 12 pieces
     Fennel seeds 1 tsp
     Tomato paste 1 TBSP
     Carrots 2 pieces
     Salt 3g
     Pepper a/n

Heat 200 ml of olive oil, add in the lobster shells and sauté for 4 minutes. 

Add the carrots and cook for a further 4 minutes, then add the shallots, fennel and garlic and continue cooking for 4 minutes. 

Add the salt, the thyme and rosemary, star anise, peppercorn and fennel seeds, cook for 3 minutes and add the tomato paste. 

After 3 more minutes finally add 400 ml of olive oil. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. 

Off the heat add the stalks of tarragon to the oil (reserve the leaves for later) and leave to cool to room temperature then chill for 12 hours. 

Pass the oil through a fine sieve and reserve.

Drizzle the oil over the tails, prior to serving. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Damn, Ashish, you expect all of us to be chemists or something?!

On the serious side, that sounds good.  I have made lobstah broth/stock a number of times with the shells/guts, this looks like a good alternative.

On the serious side, that sounds good.  I have made lobstah broth/stock a number of times with the shells/guts, this looks like a good alternative.
    Its delicious. Very flavorful, and lasts a while. 

I garnished with capers when I made it, and they countered the richness of the oil and lobster nicely. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Botch said:
    Three guesses (that would all be great on lobster):  smoked paprika, cayenne, or Old Bay seasoning.  Dried chipotle may be a bit much, but I see a taste testing in my near future...
    Those sound good. Wonder if a bit of sweetness would be good mixed in too? Brown sugar or maple syrup?  Not overly done ... just enough to taste it and wonder what it is.
  • Mark_B_Good
    caliking said:

Its delicious. Very flavorful, and lasts a while. 

I garnished with capers when I made it, and they countered the richness of the oil and lobster nicely. 
    You are dedicated to lobster tail excellence ... that's for sure!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Does anyone have a good recipe for lobster tails.
    Normally I get frozen tails ... cut the top of the shell, pull out the meat and rest on top of shell.
    Then I cook, and in parallel, I'll melt butter add in a heaped teaspoon of chopped garlic, and some salt.

It's okay, but it kind of lacks flavor ... even with the garlic butter drizzled all over it.

What am I doing wrong?
    https://youtu.be/UMWylX1OrPw
    There is a recipe for Cedar Plank Lobster tail that looks good on this video.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Here's another one that looks good!

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Every time I see this thread I think of Mike's Pastry.