Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Large Hinge Springs

My BGE is 21 yrs old with the original hinge system, the lid barely stays open, a light wind will make it fall, I think the 2 rear springs need to be replaced, where can I get them?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    My BGE is 21 yrs old with the original hinge system, the lid barely stays open, a light wind will make it fall, I think the 2 rear springs need to be replaced, where can I get them?
    same one I have....same situation
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I am sure you could find a spring.  Not sure where or how.

But, if your egg is still as nice as it looks from the photos, I would invest the $140 on the new bands / springs and have the updated assembly.  But, that's me.  

Nice old egg!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    good catch!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    second, that handle design looks to be a first edition spring band, bge used to replace those no questions asked for the first ten years, you did good if thats the first design of that band. the way to tell is the handle bracket is welded to the band and not bolted like every band since.  you wont find those particular springs. when my spring broke on mine bge sent me a dozen different springs and one fit, later they sent me a replacement band
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Soccer Guy
    Soccer Guy Posts: 20
    The bands were installed by the dealer, there is no way they are upside down, the handle is welded to the ring and would be on the bottom.
  • Soccer Guy
    Looking at the rings, it appears that the hinge assembly has bolts that attach to the metal rings, it could be reversed, but not sure if that works or makes a difference. I may give it a try.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The bands were installed by the dealer, there is no way they are upside down, the handle is welded to the ring and would be on the bottom.
    Even a employee, at the dealership, could have made a mistake. We have seen this same issue many times over the years on this forum. It will still function but just not as well. It's the back hinge assembly that is reversed, not the actual bands. The flat bar in the back should be on top, not below the springs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Photo Egg said:
    Even a employee, at the dealership, could have made a mistake. We have seen this same issue many times over the years on this forum. It will still function but just not as well. It's the back hinge assembly that is reversed, not the actual bands. The flat bar in the back should be on top, not below the springs.
    I am an experienced egger, and I have put them on upside down before.  Luckily I saw it quickly and made the adjustment.  It happens.  It makes it easier to spot having gone through it once.
  • Soccer Guy
    Langner91, thanks for the compliment, I try to keep it, nice. I stripped and painted the bands a couple of years ago. I did use a cover for many years until it wore out from the weather and sun. I now have a large covered patio so it is not needed. I have had the firebox, 2 fire rings and 2 felt seals replaced in the 21 years. I recommend all my friends, friends of friends, family, to buy a BGE, they last and make avg cooks way above avg cooks. 
  • Soccer Guy
    Photo Egg and Cookingdude555, thanks for confirming the issue, I will reverse and see if it helps. I assumed that after 21 years they are stretched and new ones required to help it stay open. I never had issues in the past and the last several years have noticed it being a problem
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited July 2021
    Mine did the same for the last few years. I took two minutes and slightly tightened the bolts around the hinge as equal as possible without over tightening them. It fixed the issue. My dome doesn't want to come crashing down anymore. It stays upright on its own. Slowly go around and see what that does for you. Worth a try anyway.

These four bolts on each side. 

(Like Photo Egg mentions, I'd flip the band upright and see what does for you first.)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Langner91
    Wire tie (using heavy ties) that thing if it is under spring tension before you undo those bolts!

Then, flip it over and bolt it back up before cutting the ties.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited July 2021
    with the handle welded on the ring its the first edition spring hinge. they made that version for just a few months then stopped having them made in mexico. the assembly was changed a couple times. flip the hinge and tighten the spring bolt, this picture shows a loose spring bolt that puts less tension on the spring. (tighten the inner nut so the bolt sits perpendicular with the bracket) if that doesnt fix it, get a level and check to see if the egg is leaning slightly forward, my patio settled over the years and it doesnt take much of a lean to screw with that band
    ive only seen three of these mexican bands in the 20 years ive been on this forum.

to make your life easier, hold the dome open and the springs pry off easily for removal

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it