Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or XXL?

Options
I love my large BGE, but I need something bigger.  

In particular, I want to be able to cook my ribs flat on the grate (2+ slabs), a large brisket without rubbing against the sides, and two or three turkeys at Thanksgiving (up to 20 pounds each).

I am not sure if the XL can accommodate the turkey cook but should be enough for the rest.  I think I can put two turkeys on it.  But before I add another egg, any thoughts on XL vs XXL?

Answers

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I thik that doing two 20 pound turkeys on an XL would be really tough to do.  Sounds to me like an XXL is what you want, so go for it!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Very few of us have ever said "I wish I had a smaller Egg."
    Many of us have said "I wish I had a bigger Egg."

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Buying an XXL (and finding room for it and moving it occasionally) to be able to cook Thanksgiving dinner on one egg is not a great idea in my mind. You will still have the Large I presume. Between the Large and the XL you should be able to cook just about anything. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Finding an XXL will probably require buying used. 

Here is the difference between an XXL and 2XL.  Not all accessories are interchangeable.  
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1223667/xxl-versus-2xl

Where are you located?  I know where there is a 2XL on the showroom floor.

I wish I had enough people to cook for to need a XXL or 2XL.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I’ve done two spatchcocked 18 lb turkey’s on the XL using an expander. The 2XL is a beast, holds 30 lbs of lump and overkill for most of us. I recommend an XL or two 😎
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2021
    Options
    OhioEgger said:

I'm one of those people that wished for a smaller egg than my large and bought a minimax. But as for the OPs situation, I would buy an XL and use that and the large for what they need. A 2XL is overkill for 99% of everyone and honestly to me a bit gimmicky. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bwor
    bwor Posts: 14
    Options
    Yes, I am keeping my large.  Thanks for the feedback so far. 

What about ribs?  Can I get 2 or 3 full rack of spare ribs flat on the grate with an XL?

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I have done 9 vertically, this is one of just 5 that came out spectacular. You can get 5-6 flat side by side or more with an expander, here is a picture of two, side by side on a modified lifted grate, which you will see plenty of room to do 4 if necessary, on the XL.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I easily do 3 racks on my XL laying flat.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    OhioEgger said:

I have said both.  

To the OP, an XL with Eggspander or adjustable rig should do the trick.  But if you have an itch for the XXL/2XL then go for it!  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have both. I use the 2XL about 3-4 times a year for family parties. And that is exactly why I bought it. It’s awesome. The XL is much more of a daily driver and it’s much better than a large egg for usability. I’d say start with the XL, and go bigger if needed
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I know this wasn't an option but if you're looking for the same smoke profile and more room why not look at an insulated cabinet smoker? You obviously won't be able achieve high heat temps but if you're looking to only use the XL/XXL for lower temp cooks you're probably better suited for a cabinet smoker. Just my two cents ....

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota