Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza setup finally

Options
So finally got around to ordering the pieces for the Egg so that I can cook pizzas. I definitely should have done this sooner they came out fantastic.  Cook temp was around 675-725. Pizzas took about 7-8min to cook.

Being the first time I wanted to start simple. Did 2/3 Mozz 1/3 Xtra Sharp Cheddar. That was the mixture I went with all night for the pizzas.  Picked up some dough from my favorite local pizzeria as well so I didn't have to start with that learning curve either.

Crust perfectly crisp with nothing burning since I made sure to buy good high temp 00 flour so it wouldn't burn. I do need to work on getting just enough flour on the bottom and not a ton of extra. I don't find that it really detracts from the taste at all though.

Some pepperoni next. Increased the cooking time a little to just test the results from the first one. 9min was definitely too much for a 10in.

For the last one, I tried some veggies. I think this might take a while to figure out. They got soft. Maybe I need to grill them separately and add them on in the middle of the cook. For this pie, I also tried to use less flour on the bottom and it got stuff and I had to use a large knife to slide under to get it unstuck while tossing some more flour underit. Messed up the veggies a bit then.

I didn't want to have any leftover freshly shredded cheese so I just put all the remaining cheese on the pie. This was definitely a lot of cheese compared to the other two. Probably double.

Plan to try to make hawaiin bbq chicken pizza tomorrow night.  Thinking I may need to brine the chicken so it is extra moist when I precook and it doesn't dry out when cooking the pizza.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great looking pies. Love the last pic😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    They look great. I'm looking forward to jumping into the pizza cooking club soon.
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Pizza all night long.  Love it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Pizza is fun.  My stone hasn't looked that clean in a very long time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks fantastic.
    Just something to try next time...Flip your platesetter over and place in Egg legs down. Sit your pizza riser thing directly on your platesetter. No need for your cooking grate. You will give your lump more breathing room as well as being more stable.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cccoltsicehockey
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic.
    Just something to try next time...Flip your platesetter over and place in Egg legs down. Sit your pizza riser thing directly on your platesetter. No need for your cooking grate. You will give your lump more breathing room as well as being more stable.
    Definitely want to do this next time.  Didn't do it this time as I have a slight surface crack on the one side of the plate.  I was worried heating it from the opposite side might make it fail and I am waiting on my warranty replacement.  Need to do a slow cook in a couple of weeks for a party but couldn't wait to do pizzas with the stuff having all arrived this weekend.  

I imagine the extra air room helps the fire get going faster as well probably?
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Make sure to heat the stone as the grill heats.  Try simanola flour it doesn't burn as much or easily.  Experiment with dough.  They all coot differently.  Great job.  Also low moisture cheese melts better.  

Alta Cucina peeled plum tomatoes make the best sauce.  When making your own sauce let it sit a day to get a great blend of seasonings 

Columbus, Ohio
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Great looking 'zas!
    Be careful of the metal pizza peel and there have been people here that had their finished 'zas slide off the slippery metal peels.
    I like using corn meal for the extra crunch on underside of the dough

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Pies look awesome… I want some!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

GTFO
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Nice looking pies. Check with your local pizzeria and ask if they put sugar in their dough. If they do, you want to keep the temps around 500 - 550 F so the sugar doesn’t turn to carbon. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I haven't done pizza on the eqq in quite a while but your post motivates me!  Great job and nice pics
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I remember while I was in JC in Bronxville,NY a group of us would walk to the local pizza place (Leone's) and get onion pies.  Good eats!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    This is my set up on the XL. I also get my pizza dough pre rolled from my local Pizzeria.
    My temp is set at 425 and it takes around 14-16 minutes per pie. If I use a higher temp the sausage does not render enough and the pizza gets burnt at the edges.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    dstearn said:
    This is my set up on the XL. I also get my pizza dough pre rolled from my local Pizzeria.
    My temp is set at 425 and it takes around 14-16 minutes per pie. If I use a higher temp the sausage does not render enough and the pizza gets burnt at the edges.

Nothing wrong with getting great results at a reasonable temp. Less stress on the Egg and doesn’t burn as much lump. Nice
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2021
    Options
    dstearn said:

@dstearn I always pre cook my sausage. Just something to consider if you are looking for a different texture in your dough.

If you are happy, then keep egging!! Looks awesome.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Tip on the sausage if you don't want to pre-cook it, roll it into marble sized balls then smash them flat with your fingers, about the size of a dime. They're  usually thin enough to cook through.  Toss with a little flour to keep them from sticking and keep the oil from pooling as it cooks. 

Cooking

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizza-lab-why-does-sausage-need-to-be-salty

Of course, you can always stuff them into casings and cook them just like you would any sausage,* but we're talking pizza today, and when it comes to pies, there's only one way to properly cook sausage: apply raw, and apply heavily.

The best method I've seen to date was at DeLorenzo's Pizza in Trenton New Jersey, where Rick DeLorenzo Jr. pulls of bits of sausage and rolls them in a bit of flour before dropping them on top of the pie. Not only does this method prevent the sausage from sticking to your fingers when you drop it, it also helps it to retain more fat and moisture, as well as gives it superior surface browning.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave