Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soapstone

Options
Bought a soapstone half round from KJ, have seen videos, does anyone have any first hand experience?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry I can not help. Never used one. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Seems like it would be prone to cracking, but I have no idea. Personally I'd rather have something made of steel or cast iron if I were going to be cooking directly on its surface. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    it’s not prone to cracking at all. It’s known for its capacity to take heat, thus one reason it's the stone used in laboratories. Love the off-the-cuff comments. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Please post you experiences with it.  I’m intrigued.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    jlsm said:
    it’s not prone to cracking at all. It’s known for its capacity to take heat, thus one reason it's the stone used in laboratories. Love the off-the-cuff comments. 

In reality the Kamado Joe soapstone plates have been known to crack. Plenty of folks on other forums have personal experience with that. It doesn't seem to be common but it does happen.
    If it happens tho you just contact KJ and they will ship you a replacement.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    try and find it 3/4 inch or thicker. used to do high temp pizzas on one with a thinner stone and eventually cracked it but i was using it above 1000 degree dome temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I have it in my kitchen and love it. It’s softer than granite/marble obviously, so it will get a scratch, etc.  it’s part of the look. Your chemistry lab bench in high school was probably soapstone, very unreactive and doesn’t absorb anything. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Interesting. Soapstone counters are beautiful.  Curious how you clean the griddles if they scratch easily? I typically clean steel griddles by scraping them hard with a very rigid steel spatula. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Interesting. Soapstone counters are beautiful.  Curious how you clean the griddles if they scratch easily? I typically clean steel griddles by scraping them hard with a very rigid steel spatula. 

mostly used mine for pizza and lebanese pastry pies (sfeeha?)  cleaning was turn it over in the egg and burn it off.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Seared scallops turned out great.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Soapstone is an excellent cooking surface, but like any surface of a multi mineral metamorphic rock, there will be an opportunity for a crack to occur.

Several variations of “soapstone” exist, but one thing they all have in common is the reaction to heat and durability.

One of the better heating sources you can have is a firebox made with soapstone due to its ability to retain and radiate heat for long periods of time. Check out soapstone fire places.

Handle with care, and it could become an heirloom.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky