Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shishito peppers from the garden

CPARKTX2
CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
edited June 2021 in EggHead Forum
Love these and first time growing them. Did not disappoint.  Very tender  

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    scoville scale rating?

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    loco_engr said:
    scoville scale rating?

Not terribly high.  These things are pretty tame.  Every once in a while you’ll get one that has some kick to it, maybe on the order of a mild jalapeño, but that’s about it.  Great flavor though, especially smoked.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've read about shishitos for years, but still haven't seen/tasted one.  Guess I'll have to try growing some.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    That is awesome way to make the groceries 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• AB1234
    AB1234 Posts: 28
    I had some at a restaurant once and they were very good.  Sautéed with some soy sauce.  They sure did make me shishito the next day.
    Orlando
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    We love shishito peppers. We've grown them for several years. Store bought shishitos have a hot pepper out of every 20. The ones we've grown at home are never hot.
    This year we couldn't find any at the nursery. We started our own but lost them in the heat. I'm bummed I'll only be able to cook what I can find at the grocer.
    I love to blister them in the wood oven. When we're growing them and have excess I'll quick pickle them in vinegar and have them with sandwiches.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CPARKTX2
    Shishito peppers (like Padron peppers from Spain) are usually mild, but have a random genetic variation where every so often you get a hot one.   Generally mild but great flavor.  None of the ones from the garden were hot. What I noticed most was how tender they were compared to store/restaurant ones.  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I'm curious, how "hot" is "hot" when you find the variant?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • CPARKTX2
    Langner91 said:
    I'm curious, how "hot" is "hot" when you find the variant?
    @Langner91  not really that hot, gets your attention but nothing like a Jalapeño.