Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New ingredient I used while basting spares

kwdriver
kwdriver Posts: 39
Tried something new when I did a smoke a few weeks ago. Initial trial was on my Stumps Baby and then confirmed my findings using my BGE. Hope you all enjoy.

My NEW Secret Ingredient for Tender and Juicy Smoked Ribs
https://youtu.be/f6ym0mANF7U

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That's interesting that beef tallow wouldn't take away from the overall pork flavor of the ribs. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kwdriver
    WeberWho said:
    That's interesting that beef tallow wouldn't take away from the overall pork flavor of the ribs. 
    I actually rendered pork fat and created lard or the pork equivalent of beef tallow. I’m thinking beef tallow wouldn’t be so hot on ribs. 
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    I can't believe that a mop made from a combo of lard and bbq sauce works a lot better than one made from Parkay and bbq sauce.  

You're like some kind of bbq savant with these tricks.  
    California
  • kwdriver
    Tip2Tip said:
    I can't believe that a mop made from a combo of lard and bbq sauce works a lot better than one made from Parkay and bbq sauce.  

You're like some kind of bbq savant with these tricks.  
    I don’t know about savant; an old friend taught me the parkay/bbq sauce mop. After watching all the beef tallow brisket videos figured there might be a good similar use for lard. I rendered a bunch and was able to fry up so chicharrones too! 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    kwdriver said:
    WeberWho said:
    I actually rendered pork fat and created lard or the pork equivalent of beef tallow. I’m thinking beef tallow wouldn’t be so hot on ribs. 
    That makes way more sense. My mind went to beef as you clearly say pork in the video. Sorry about that. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I wonder....if you're out of lard perhaps you could substitute

I Can39t Believe It39s Not Lard  Now with more lard  rmadlo119  Flickr

I pour off my bacon grease every morning into a 28-oz can; bet that would kick it up a notch.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• kwdriver
    Botch said:
    I pour off my bacon grease every morning into a 28-oz can; bet that would kick it up a notch.  
    Oh yeah that sounds great