Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

New ingredient I used while basting spares

kwdriverkwdriver Posts: 39
Tried something new when I did a smoke a few weeks ago. Initial trial was on my Stumps Baby and then confirmed my findings using my BGE. Hope you all enjoy.

My NEW Secret Ingredient for Tender and Juicy Smoked Ribs
https://youtu.be/f6ym0mANF7U

Comments

  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 9,280
    That's interesting that beef tallow wouldn't take away from the overall pork flavor of the ribs. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

    Minnesota
  • kwdriverkwdriver Posts: 39
    WeberWho said:
    That's interesting that beef tallow wouldn't take away from the overall pork flavor of the ribs. 
    I actually rendered pork fat and created lard or the pork equivalent of beef tallow. I’m thinking beef tallow wouldn’t be so hot on ribs. 
  • Tip2TipTip2Tip Posts: 49
    I can't believe that a mop made from a combo of lard and bbq sauce works a lot better than one made from Parkay and bbq sauce.  

    You're like some kind of bbq savant with these tricks.  
    California
  • kwdriverkwdriver Posts: 39
    Tip2Tip said:
    I can't believe that a mop made from a combo of lard and bbq sauce works a lot better than one made from Parkay and bbq sauce.  

    You're like some kind of bbq savant with these tricks.  
    I don’t know about savant; an old friend taught me the parkay/bbq sauce mop. After watching all the beef tallow brisket videos figured there might be a good similar use for lard. I rendered a bunch and was able to fry up so chicharrones too! 
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 9,280
    kwdriver said:
    WeberWho said:
    That's interesting that beef tallow wouldn't take away from the overall pork flavor of the ribs. 
    I actually rendered pork fat and created lard or the pork equivalent of beef tallow. I’m thinking beef tallow wouldn’t be so hot on ribs. 
    That makes way more sense. My mind went to beef as you clearly say pork in the video. Sorry about that. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

    Minnesota
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 37,994
    I wonder....if you're out of lard perhaps you could substitute

    I Can39t Believe It39s Not Lard  Now with more lard  rmadlo119  Flickr

    ______________________________________________
    No cooking devices other than an Easy-Bake oven with a 75 watt incandescent light bulb.
    Virus downloading.....(*beep...bleep...whirrr...whirrr*)
    Download Complete.



  • BotchBotch Posts: 11,738
    I pour off my bacon grease every morning into a 28-oz can; bet that would kick it up a notch.  
    ____________________________________________
    "When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent."
      - Isaac Asimov  
            
  • kwdriverkwdriver Posts: 39
    Botch said:
    I pour off my bacon grease every morning into a 28-oz can; bet that would kick it up a notch.  
    Oh yeah that sounds great 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.