Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopen sale

Options
FYI, ThermoWorks has the Thermopen Mk4 on sale for $69 currently. One of the best prices I've seen for the Mk4.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=3
Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Wow this is a good price
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    Agreed. I have one Mk4 and an older model. The older model shorts out once in a while so I'm tempted to pick up a new one even though I don't technically need it.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Got mine today. Blue, the fastest one
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2021
    Options
    After owning several Themopens over the years, I prefer my Javelin Pro. Never have to jiggle it or open and close it several times to make it work. It’s cheaper and never an issue. 
    https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-d

Thermoworks has always provided excellent customer service in the past. It’s just a pain having to ship things back. Still have 2 that work sometimes. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,426
    Options
    Bought 1 just to have 1. Have a thermopop that works flawlessly. Wishing the bigger units were on sale. I’d love to replace my Smoke with a Signals unit
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    After owning several Themopens over the years, I prefer my Javelin Pro. Never have to jiggle it or open and close it several times to make it work. It’s cheaper and never an issue. 

Thermoworks has always provided excellent customer service in the past. It’s just a pain having to ship things back. Still have 2 that work sometimes. 

Cosign
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Yep, the jiggling thing is pretty annoying at times.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't forget the LavaTools discount. 15% with code EGGHEAD. Free shipping too (if purchase is over $30). So $46.75 total for the Javelin Pro. Love mine!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Looks like there was a reason for this recent sale:

From my inbox today:

Months ago we closed out a few colors of Thermapen Mk4 and continued building a shorter list of colors. Now we’re closing out the remaining colors. We know that there are many questions and rumors. Here are a few with some answers:

A new Thermapen is coming by the end of June.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Langner91 said:

From my inbox today:

Months ago we closed out a few colors of Thermapen Mk4 and continued building a shorter list of colors. Now we’re closing out the remaining colors. We know that there are many questions and rumors. Here are a few with some answers:

They are coming out with a model that works the first time it’s opened?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Langner91 said:

From my inbox today:

They are coming out with a model that works the first time it’s opened?
    I am unsure what they can improve after reading the FAQ's!

FAQ:

Q:  Why are you closing out the Mk4? Isn’t it the world’s best? 
    A:  The Mk4 is in fact widely rated #1 and is the world’s best and fastest cooking thermometer. But something big is coming!
    —————
    Q:  Are there any problems in the Mk4?
    A:  No. The Mk4 is the world’s best.
    —————
    Q:  Why would I pay for the Mk4 if it is going to be replaced?
    A:  Because $69 is an amazing price that won’t be repeated. It really is a great, great deal on a thermometer that is the very best value even at full price.
    —————
    Q:  Saving money is great but why would I want the Mk4 if it is going to be obsolete?
    A:  The Mk4 will NOT be “obsolete”.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mk4. If you buy one on closeout, you’ll get an excellent tool that will last for many years. On January 1 it will not go dead. Its internal software will not expire. It’s AAA battery will be available for decades to come. If you get one, you will be happy with it!
    —————
    Q:  Will there be a Mk5 Thermapen?
    A:  There will be something new and amazing.
    —————
    Q:  When will you say what is coming?
    A:  We promise that the announcement is coming soon — before the end of June!
    —————
    Q:  What could you possibly do to improve on the Mk4?
    A:  The full story is coming very soon. It will be worth it!
    —————
    Q:  Should I take advantage of this price before they’re gone or wait to know what the new product is like?
    A:  That’s always the dilemma when a new product is approaching. If you want to wait for the announcement before taking advantage of the Mk4 closeout pricing, we believe we will still have stock of the Mk4 when the new product begins shipping. However, we can’t guarantee the availability of any specific closeout colors. The $69 price is anticipated to continue until they are gone. Don’t expect further decreases.
    —————
    Q:  Will the Classic Thermapen continue?
    A:  It will.
    —————
    Q:  If I want the new product, shouldn’t I wait until it’s been on the market for awhile so all the bugs are worked out?
    A:  What’s coming is indeed a big advance but we’ve been working on it for nearly six years. The production line is running. Everything has been tested like crazy. This will be our most solid product launch ever. We’ve been making Thermapens for decades. We know a lot about this. I wouldn’t wait.
    —————
    Q:  Can’t you tell me anything about the new product?
    A:  Yes we absolutely can on the day the announcement is made. It is coming fast.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Sounds terrible.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Thermapens are made by Electronic Temperature Instruments Ltd in the UK but I didn't see any additional "teaser" info regarding a new model on their website.
    Can't wait to see what the hype is all about.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    The new model, presumably the mk5, can tell if you are vaccinated for covid before functioning.   Stab yourself, then stab your meat. Oh and jiggle before both.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I had the opposite experience.  My Javelin Pro broke after a year - the plastic base snapped off where the probe attached.  I  have had no issues with my Thermapen.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My problem with Thermopens is I'm devastated when I lose one.  Besides the battery, never had a problem with the two I bought.
    Have an original Thermapen that is probably 12 years old and works great, but I use my mk4 most of the time.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love my MK4 but it went AWOL about a year ago (still hoping it will turn up) so using the old pink model that was highly discounted because people just can't get in touch with their feminine sides.
    Options
    The new one works with gas or wood, but you need to buy the gas attachment.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    The new model, presumably the mk5, can tell if you are vaccinated for covid before functioning.   Stab yourself, then stab your meat. Oh and jiggle before both.  
    So it’s like a vaccine passport.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Ok thermometer geeks, tomorrow morning is the big reveal:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Options
    It's heeeeeeere.

One second readings, 0.5°F accuracy.  Looks like the original from the outside.

$105.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    ...and lane-keep assist!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month