Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant help

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
Just heard on the news the Salt Lake City Restaurant Association held a jobs fair.  Forty-five restaurants set up booths, Forty-one job seekers showed up.
!
Of course, republicans are moving to block federal unemployment assistance (I don't understand how states can legally do that) to force people back to work, and democrats are telling employers to start paying a living wage.  There are folks who have moved onto other jobs, and others who decided staying at home with family is more important.  I don't know what the real answer is (it may be multiple answers).  

I do realize that most mom-&-pop restaurants normally operate on a thin margin already, and paying their help more will directly correlate to menu prices.  My monthly trip to Dennie's for Chicken-Fried Steak and Eggs, and an Iced Tea, now is over $15, and not worth it to me anymore.  Yet, my weekly 6-cheese toasted bagel with Veggie Schmear at Einstein's costs the same it did 15 months ago.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a fan to the Einstein's bagel with veggie schmear myself. I like to approach it on an onion bagel. No one messes with me all day.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
     =)  I really preferred the Sun-Dried Tomato bagel, but they stopped making them.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    mcdonalds here raised their starting pay to 17 bucks an hour and still cant hire enough to handle more than the drivethru. whats next 20 an hour for a kids summertime job
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    mcdonalds here raised their starting pay to 17 bucks an hour and still cant hire enough to handle more than the drivethru. whats next 20 an hour for a kids summertime job

Maybe they won't have to get a second job to have this <sarcasm> totally realistic </sarcasm> budget (they proposed).

uncaptioned

Options

Maybe they won't have to get a second job to have this <sarcasm> totally realistic </sarcasm> budget (they proposed).

uncaptioned

i dont remember having all those expenses when i had my high school job, times must have changed.
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options

uncaptioned

i dont remember having all those expenses when i had my high school job, times must have changed.
    We're you still in HS when you were 27?

The average employee age for mcdonalds crew members is 27 years. The mcdonalds crew member workforce reached a whopping 1,725,512 in 2020!
    Options

uncaptioned

We're you still in HS when you were 27?

The average employee age for mcdonalds crew members is 27 years. The mcdonalds crew member workforce reached a whopping 1,725,512 in 2020!

im just stating that at 17 an hour they cant even hire hs kids now for the summer.  if i was 27 still working mcdonalds....shoot me... theres plenty of 25 dollar jobs out there now. the post office is 25 with a full benefit package and a pension begging for workers around here, that is livable
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Came across a rather depressing/disgusting stat the other day:

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — There are more than 250,000 jobs available in Tennessee right now, but some lawmakers say there’s a catch with that number.

Only 3% of the jobs posted — about 8,500 as of Friday evening — pay $20,000 or more. The federal poverty line for a family of three is just under $22,000."

Sources: https://fox17.com/news/local/only-3-of-jobs-posted-on-tennessees-website-offer-more-than-20000-per-year-unemployment-pandemic-recovery-nashville-governor-bill-lee

https://www.newschannel9.com/news/local/job-wages-on-tennessee-states-website-are-too-low-according-to-tennesseans

The comment from state Republican representative Patsy Hazlewood were particularly aggravating.

I swear I don't know why the peasants haven't started storming the castles already.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaeggheads_squirel
    Options

uncaptioned

Big changes @fishlessman The prices of tats and piercings have gone up hugely.  $17 an hour won't get you sleeves and a pig nose anymore.
  • fishlessman
    Options

uncaptioned

Big changes @fishlessman The prices of tats and piercings have gone up hugely.  $17 an hour won't get you sleeves and a pig nose anymore.

17 an hour would get me better beers.  thank god heffenreffers were cheap back then
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Wolfgang Puck: 'Waiters make $120,000 a year but I can't find them' ... Or even at Spago in Beverly Hills, you know, where people, waiters, make $120,000 a year. But I cannot find them.”
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Wolfgang Puck: 'Waiters make $120,000 a year but I can't find them' ... Or even at Spago in Beverly Hills, you know, where people, waiters, make $120,000 a year. But I cannot find them.”

Did he go on to blame it on some people getting a few hundred extra bucks each month in their unemployment checks?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Did he go on to blame it on some people getting a few hundred extra bucks each month in their unemployment checks?

maybe, just maybe its time to end unemployment checks if you arent even looking for work
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    HeavyG said:

maybe, just maybe its time to end unemployment checks if you arent even looking for work
    I kind of doubt waiters who were making $120k a year before the pandemic are just sitting on their hands at home, drinking gin and tonics and eating Doritos.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I kind of doubt waiters who were making $120k a year before the pandemic are just sitting on their hands at home, drinking gin and tonics and eating Doritos.

it happens all the time and even if an employer takes the time to go after a fraudulent claim and gets the ex employee off collecting the checks, that said crooked ex employee never has to pay unemployment back. get this, his next employer needs to put in to unemployment for him for a couple months before he can quit or gets fired and start fraudulently collecting again.
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:

it happens all the time and even if an employer takes the time to go after a fraudulent claim and gets the ex employee off collecting the checks, that said crooked ex employee never has to pay unemployment back. get this, his next employer needs to put in to unemployment for him for a couple months before he can quit or gets fired and start fraudulently collecting again.
    If you are caught defrauding the unemployment insurance system, that is fraud and you will have to pay a fine, pay the money back and may facepotential prison time.   That's the law, if you see otherwise, it's the lack of enforcement at the local level.

Options
    HeavyG said:

Fish, that is a complete non sequitur.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

If you are caught defrauding the unemployment insurance system, that is fraud and you will have to pay a fine, pay the money back and may facepotential prison time.   That's the law, if you see otherwise, it's the lack of enforcement at the local level.

have pushed hearings at the unemployment dept, even presenting the fact that the fired individual was a no show for 7 mondays in a row and that he skipped 2 hearings, they still were reluctant to drop his check, what pushed it over the top was raising my voice explaining that this deadbeat would be sleeping for the next several months strung out on drugs while the hearing officer would be commuting to work everyday. yes, lack of enforcement and fines. any ways he was stabbed in the heart at 2 am in the morning standing next to my cousins work truck that was impounded for several weeks, a drug deal was involved

if you like lack of enforcement, i had a guy apply for a job, then that weekend saw a 10 most wanted list for people not paying child support and recognized his pic. called it in and nothing, same cousins hired him
    fukahwee maine