Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What food did you grow up on, and can't STAND now?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,494
Since retirement I haven't faded into the depths of coupon-clipping or watching cat videos, but I'm getting close: watching Diners Drive-Ins and Dives on a Saturday night.  Gah.
A commercial came on, featuring tacos made with.... Spam.  Double-Gah.  I ate Spam, growing up, maybe once a month, and I... could eat it.  I tried it again, a few years ago, and had to throw it out.  
Another dish was "Vienna Sausages"; I actually really liked them growing up, Mom would serve us a few along with our soup (usually Mrs. Grass's/Lipton's chicken soup, tiny needle noodles with artificial chicken flavor and no discernible protein).  Supper of Champions!  A few years ago I found a case of them at a Lot sale, a dozen cans for less than $5!  I had about three of them, out of one can, and donated the rest to the local food bank (and I still feel bad about that).   :s  
Finally, Hostess.  They went bankrupt about 5 years ago, and it didn't mean anything to me (I've not been into sweets since about age 20).  Someone bought up their trademark/recipes, and I saw that old familiar 2-pak of Twinkies at the grocery store, and picked it up.  Ate about half of the first one, it was a perfect copy but I had no idea those things were strongly pineapple-flavored, not to mention sickeningly sweet.  into the trash you go!  

I'll think of others.  What are your childhood favorites that aren't, anymore?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• Terpderpitude
    Options
    Liver and onions.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Just the opposite, but not to just be contrary - OK? Spinach as a kid? NO WAY. Now I love it raw,cooked, baked, creamed etc. 

Apple sauce as a kid? I HATED it then and I still do! 

Anything with ginger even as a trace including ginger ale I HATED it and still do! 

Even anything with corn starch used to turn my stomach from the jellied appearance and I still can’t stand the look!

Now for meat of any source fresh, canned or packaged I can’t think of any, and I recall Spam nights with fond memories. Even those nights before Dad’s next payday which really meant nothing negative to me as a kid because many times those nights were suppers of Mom’s waffles and Karo syrup! Which I loved!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    I hated ground beef all my youth. Mom was a WWII baby and bought all our ground beef on sale and froze it all. Never had any fresh ground beef, steaks poultry or pork in the house. Always smelled like a wet dog when she was cooking with it. Now I buy fresh and love it. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    Mom did not make it often but, Hamburger Helper.  Especially the "Cheeseburger" type.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    This is easy: Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I loved it as a kid, and think it taste like cardboard now.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Campbell's chicken noodle and tomato soup. Probably the first food that I was allowed to cook (heat up) and I had my share. I can't see a scenario where I'll ever buy another can of either. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • RRP
    Options
    Campbell's chicken noodle and tomato soup. Probably the first food that I was allowed to cook (heat up) and I had my share. I can't see a scenario where I'll ever buy another can of either. 
    That’s funny to me! Having never had those soups as a kid then just this Lenten  
    season I introduced myself and my wife to some Friday noon meals of Campbell Tomato soup made with half and half along with grilled cheese sandwiches! 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Flank steak and hot pockets.
    Mountain View, CA
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    My mom was an ER nurse that worked overnights and ALWAYS cooked breakfast for us before school- no toaster waffles, cereal or pop tarts. On occasion, we would get a couple of these with some eggs or an omelette. Can’t stomach the idea of ingesting one today. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Spaghetti, pb&j, bananas. You can tell I grew up wealthy.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Nothing that sticks out. I remember eating chicken a lot growing up. I think chicken was a treat for my mom as she grew up on a farm where most of their meals were beef based from the farm. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    This explanation is not a straight answer but there were many things I ate growing up that I have not had in several decades, spam and vienna sausages to name two.  Of those that I have and still do have on an infrequent occasion  mac and cheese and PB sandwiches are still in the win column.  
    Not a fan of Campbell's tomato soup growing up and can't tell you when I last had any.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Sailor Boy Pilot Bread. I haven't had spam since I was a kid, but I ain't skeered of it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Industrial strength Kirkland Soylent Green, AKA: Fish Sticks
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Campbell's Tomato soup tastes like soup if it were made from ketchup and milk.   Revolting. 
    Options
    I can't think of anything I can't stand now.  I don't hold Vienna sausages in as high a regard as I did when I was a kid, but I'd eat them in a pinch.  Ditto for low quality hot dogs in general.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just the opposite, but not to just be contrary - OK? Spinach as a kid? NO WAY. Now I love it raw,cooked, baked, creamed etc. 

Apple sauce as a kid? I HATED it then and I still do! 

Anything with ginger even as a trace including ginger ale I HATED it and still do! 

Even anything with corn starch used to turn my stomach from the jellied appearance and I still can’t stand the look!

Now for meat of any source fresh, canned or packaged I can’t think of any, and I recall Spam nights with fond memories. Even those nights before Dad’s next payday which really meant nothing negative to me as a kid because many times those nights were suppers of Mom’s waffles and Karo syrup! Which I loved!

End qoute

I'm with you RRP, there isn't much now that I wouldn't eat or at least try. It wasn't like that when I was a kid.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I haven’t had Spam since I was a kid. I used to take empty spam cans and catch minnows. I’d bring them home and keep them in a gallon pickle jar. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    I can’t remember where I read that but apparently SPAM is the closest thing to the taste of human meat 🤷‍♂️

Options
    paqman said:
    I can’t remember where I read that but apparently SPAM is the closest thing to the taste of human meat 🤷‍♂️
    :lol:  Prolly cuz both are loaded up with un-natural chemicals.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Terpderpitude
    Options
    paqman said:
    I thought that was Solyent Green.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    My kinda place. Just needs Spam musubi on the menu...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Botch said:
    paqman said:
    Maybe they’re not being truthful, but looks like a pretty simple ingredient list. 

Saw a video of a guy making his own spam the other day and from what I remember of it, those were the exact ingredients he used. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• RRP
    Options
    Botch said:
    paqman said:
    Maybe they’re not being truthful, but looks like a pretty simple ingredient list. 

Saw a video of a guy making his own spam the other day and from what I remember of it, those were the exact ingredients he used. 
    The revelation of those ingredients are probably quite mild to knowing what really went into the “hot dogs” and “baloney” that  many of us OLD farts grew up eating and LOVING! 

As a kid the only time I was startled was when Dad brought home the severed head of a huge hog inside a cardboard box. To this day - probably 66 years ago - I still remember my parents braced me before pulling back the towel to show me that hog’s head! ULGY and frightful! 

BTW Mom made “head cheese” as it is/was called and it was DEClIOUS! I further recall Dad bought something that was a NEW creation…that we had never before. It was “French Onion dip” 

OH what fond memories this thread has opened my mind to! Thanks.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Dairyland casserole.  If a ride trip was coming up and it was time to save money, we had two dinners for a week: tuna casserole and Dairyland casserole. I liked them both, but my sisters still gag if they are mentioned. So many peas in the tuna casserole. So much sour cream in the Dairyland casserole 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My kinda place. Just needs Spam musubi on the menu...

I was just about to mention spam musubi. That’s good stuff. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Nothing I ate as a kid would I not eat now, except liver and onions.  I did not like it then, but when you parents said the  “this is what is for dinner, if you do not eat it, you are not getting anything else” and followed through with it, I shoved some down knowing if I did not, I would be starving later. The only thing worse than liver and onions was leftover liver and onions (reheated or cold) ate it both those ways once. Only once.  Never ever ever again. 

Lots of hate for spam.  I love it.  It is still my go to meal for lunch on snowy days.  Slice a 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick and pan fry.  Put on fresh white bread with some good mustard and raw onions, with a side of chips. I have no plans of changing that pattern anytime soon.  As soon as it snows, I get a craving for it. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    I love liver and onions 🤷‍♂️