Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How should I cook this steak?

Reverse sear? Lowish and slowish? Should I salt and leave on a grate in the fridge for a day? Or four days?

Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    What is the thickness? If it’s 1/2” I can help😜
    2.25-2.5, varies a bit 
    Boom
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Everyone's tastes are different, of course, but I personally would S&P that bad boy, let it come to near room temp, have my grill-grates good and hot and plop it on there for a minute or two.  Turning three times so I got really nice grill marks.

If I tried to futz with it too much, I'd end up ruining it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Hey, bring it over, and I show you how to cook that bad boy.

I agree with @lousubcap ... with that thickness, a reverse sear would produce a better result, unless you like your meat rare. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Lou nailed it.  I would reverse sear.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I bought a couple of those last fathers day. Costco has some good deals on steaks around then. While I liked the thickness, I can live without the long bone. It's just too cumbersome.

I did a sous vide at about 115F then seared it on the BGE.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    +1 on the reverse sear. I would go -10F of target temp, pull it and open the vents, then get close to the coals or caveman it like @lousubcap said for the sear once you have your red bed.  Once seared, dig in.  No need for another rest. I get more carryover, so that is why I say -10, but that is a personal decision. Remember you can always put it back on and warm up a portion if needed. 

Enjoy!   
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Also like the reverse sear.  I do 180f in my pellet grill, about 2 hours to get to 122f, bring inside to a ripping hot CI pan with range hood on high, then flip every 30 seconds for a total of 3 minutes.  No need to rest.  Mine was a 2-1/2"  thick T bone and came out perfect.

Was tempted by the prime ribeyes at Costco, but I had a coupon for T bones at Safeway for $6.38/ lb. and found a very nicely marbled 2-1/2 lb. beauty.  Made fajitas with the leftovers a couple days later.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Season, then throw it in your oven at it's lowest setting, 170F-200F.  Take out when it hits about 105F.  Cook everything else while it's in the oven.  Sear on a hot skillet.  Add a little butter after it's seared and flip it a couple times to coat. Rest about 10 minutes.  Should be a good R-MR. 

(This is another option to the above)

The slow heating improves it, IMO.  
    edited June 2021
    My favorites.   Season and let sit overnight if you can.  Wrapped in saran wrap seals it in.  S.P.G. and anything else you like.

On the egg.  Wrap the bone in foil..  High temp it to get a great sear on one side, rotate to get the cross pattern.  Flip it.  Get your sear.  Close the lids and vents.  Let it get to temp done temp..  Food probe helps.  Season it again.  Let it rest.  Cut it.

Columbus, Ohio
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Reverse sear with a caveman finish.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• I echo the above. Reverse sear, then caveman. With that much marbling, I think it is important to render it down; i.e. slowly heat the steak to -10 degrees of target temp. With a cut that thick and heavily marbled I would dry brine for a day on a rack over a pan in the fridge then sous vide (don't hate me) at 125 (for MR) for 4-6 hours and caveman it. Due to this approach I'd season with a SPOG rub as the sugar in other rubs will burn on the coals, which is a flavor I don't care for. 

The oven or indirect method will be great as well. I just tend to over shoot my target temp with both and don't care for the smoke imparted into a fine cut that this on the egg. I prefer the beef to be the star.

I hope this help. Post pics of what you decided! 
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    jdMyers said:

Close the lids and vents. 

Closing the vents chokes the fire, which lead to incomplete combustion. 

What little oxygen and fire is left will smolder badly. Think about when you blow out a clean burning candle. The tiny ember that is left still burns wick/wax, but the fie isn’t enough to fully combust. So the candle smokes until the ember dies fully. 

And that smoke is horrible. Just as bad as the smoke at start-up, because that too is due to incomplete combustion

The fattier meats like rib eyes make it even worse, because they drip fat, which also burns incompletely. 

This is BGE’s old “sear and dwell” method. To someone new to charcoal like I was, it still tasted better than gas. But the petro-chemical sooty taste and smell (again, like you get when first lighting the grill), is pronounced. 

Better to sear/sear then roast indirect.  Same method, just need an indirect setup to block the direct radiant (searing) energy
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Is a reverse sear for a thick steak safe? I thought too much time at a low temp is bad and it’s safer to sear first?
  • nolaegghead
    Is a reverse sear for a thick steak safe? I thought too much time at a low temp is bad and it’s safer to sear first?
    It is safe.  Reverse sear your egg/oven/whatever is well over 130F, killing whatever lives on the outside of a whole muscle cut.  And the inside is relatively sterile unless you made the cut from some week-old road-kill.

...plus the rules are generally limit danger zone (40-130F) time to under 4 hours and that's much longer than you would typically do the roast part of a reverse sear.
    Steak has bacteria on the outside. 

Hamburger has that same bacteria on the inside. 

Steak is safer at lower temps
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Season, then throw it in your oven at it's lowest setting, 170F-200F.  Take out when it hits about 105F.  Cook everything else while it's in the oven.  Sear on a hot skillet.  Add a little butter after it's seared and flip it a couple times to coat. Rest about 10 minutes.  Should be a good R-MR. 

Canugghead Posts: 8,220
    September 2016 edited September 2016 in Off Topic
    threw a frozen USDA prime strip steak in toaster oven, 250 with few flips till IT 130'ish.  seared on CI grid sitting direct on lump (since there was very little lump left after cooking burgers and spiedini)...

canuckland
  • nolaegghead

Canugghead Posts: 8,220
    September 2016 edited September 2016 in Off Topic
    threw a frozen USDA prime strip steak in toaster oven, 250 with few flips till IT 130'ish.  seared on CI grid sitting direct on lump (since there was very little lump left after cooking burgers and spiedini)...

similar to my oven method except I like it more rare.

I have never found a better method than what is called out in "smoke it like a pro" by Eric Mitchell

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1tbsp salt
    2 tspn pepper
    1tspn garlic powder
    1 tspn onion powder
    1/2 tbsp paprika
    butter for the steaks

Directions:
    1. Sear Steaks between 600-700 degrees for 1.5 minutes, rotate 90 degrees for another 1.5 minutes, and flip and repeat
    2. Take the steaks off, put a little butter on top of them and wrap in foil (and in a towel
    3. Put the plate setter in and get the egg down to 350 degrees after 20-30 minutes
    4. cook them for between 2-4 minutes on each side (depending on how you want them to finish) and they come out awesome

I think I'll have steaks tonight!