Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Covid update where I live. You?

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:
    Massachusetts, a couple of days ago was walking out of a Home Depot to my car. Young family approached me, husband/wife/kid in carriage. I had a mask on, they didn't.
    She started up a conversation with me. Asked if I was vax'd. I replied affirmatively. They asked "so how's it going?". I said just fine.

Turns out they were bible thumping anti-vaxxers. Turned into an interesting conversation.

Eejits.

I'm kinda okay with antivaxxers. It's their choice to dance with death. May even take some of them out of the gene pool.

There's some speculation that unchecked COVID infection and transmission among the antivaxxers/"its-all-a-hoax"ers, etc. will contribute to strains mutating, and possibly not being covered by current vaccines.

That's a tough one. For the moment, I'm done proselytizing re: vaccination. E.g. someone at work was holding out... until her adult daughter was infected with COVID. Then she was scrambling to figure out how to get vaccinated right quick. 
    Yep, that’s a concern, but need to get vax to the rest of the world that want it first, that’s where the biggest impact can be now.
    Agreed. But there's a big gap between a cargo load of vaccine doses landing on a tarmac, and getting them into bodies. 

Re: India, 70%+ of the population is rural. Which doesn't mean that the closest Wal-Mart is 15 miles away. (not being snarky. That's the only metric I can think of, off the cuff). 
    Don’t they have Army medics? That is who are running our mass vaccination clinics in my state. Johnson and Johnson might be the best shot. It can be kept in an ice chest and one shot is all that is needed. There are no more side effects than AstraZeneca which is the main vaccine that they are using now. Convoy village to village, vaccinate all adults and move to the next one. We might have to donate the vaccine and syringes but they have the labor available.
    With all due respect, you have no idea. 

Serum Institute of India is the world's largest vaccine manufacturer.  Effectively vaccinating a country's population goes way beyond that. 

You said that the problem was not availability of vaccine but getting shots into arms. I suggested a method of getting vaccine to the rural villages. If you have a better method lay it out. I already knew that they were producing AZ under license as well as a local vaccine . So if it isn’t labor or materials or vaccine then what is the problem. I understand a population of 1.4 billion is a huge number but they can accept help or do it themselves.
    to be clear, I was not trying to be sarcastic, or snarky. Honestly. These things are difficult to convey over the interwebz. 

But, if the response is "don't they have army medics?" then the answer is... no, they don't.

Ensuring one vote per citizen, during elections, is challenging enough.

Getting 2 doses of a vaccine (possibly one J&J dose, which is not readily available, not readily administered anywhere else, etc.) into each body, is exponentially more difficult. 

Again, this is not an attack on your idea or intent, which i am sure is well intentioned. Its just not practical, in the context of India. 
    Okay the US has hospital ships, corpsmen, helicopters , and tilt rotor long range planes. If requested we could transport vaccine, medical personnel, and vaccine anywhere within 400 miles of the coastline. Local support would have to be translators and a signed agreement freeing all personnel from civil and criminal action. The ships could even refill oxygen tanks though probably a fraction of what is needed.
    *sigh* Yes. Please deploy all of that. Globally. (I think that's a word).

Let me know how it goes...
    As I said they would have to ask and not shoot at our ships, helicopters, and people. As far as globally, 1.4 billion plus our own 330 million plus maybe Mexico and Canada is about as far as the US can reasonably go. The world is a sad place.
    It’s really a shame that the entire country of India and the US State Department don’t have big idea people like yourself who can brainstorm around these kinds of solutions.
    And it’s a real shame that all you and the rest of the flock of Karens can’t do anything but crap on them. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:
    Massachusetts, a couple of days ago was walking out of a Home Depot to my car. Young family approached me, husband/wife/kid in carriage. I had a mask on, they didn't.
    She started up a conversation with me. Asked if I was vax'd. I replied affirmatively. They asked "so how's it going?". I said just fine.

Turns out they were bible thumping anti-vaxxers. Turned into an interesting conversation.

Eejits.

I'm kinda okay with antivaxxers. It's their choice to dance with death. May even take some of them out of the gene pool.

There's some speculation that unchecked COVID infection and transmission among the antivaxxers/"its-all-a-hoax"ers, etc. will contribute to strains mutating, and possibly not being covered by current vaccines.

That's a tough one. For the moment, I'm done proselytizing re: vaccination. E.g. someone at work was holding out... until her adult daughter was infected with COVID. Then she was scrambling to figure out how to get vaccinated right quick. 
    Yep, that’s a concern, but need to get vax to the rest of the world that want it first, that’s where the biggest impact can be now.
    Agreed. But there's a big gap between a cargo load of vaccine doses landing on a tarmac, and getting them into bodies. 

Re: India, 70%+ of the population is rural. Which doesn't mean that the closest Wal-Mart is 15 miles away. (not being snarky. That's the only metric I can think of, off the cuff). 
    Don’t they have Army medics? That is who are running our mass vaccination clinics in my state. Johnson and Johnson might be the best shot. It can be kept in an ice chest and one shot is all that is needed. There are no more side effects than AstraZeneca which is the main vaccine that they are using now. Convoy village to village, vaccinate all adults and move to the next one. We might have to donate the vaccine and syringes but they have the labor available.

Serum Institute of India is the world's largest vaccine manufacturer.  Effectively vaccinating a country's population goes way beyond that. 

You said that the problem was not availability of vaccine but getting shots into arms. I suggested a method of getting vaccine to the rural villages. If you have a better method lay it out. I already knew that they were producing AZ under license as well as a local vaccine . So if it isn’t labor or materials or vaccine then what is the problem. I understand a population of 1.4 billion is a huge number but they can accept help or do it themselves.
    to be clear, I was not trying to be sarcastic, or snarky. Honestly. These things are difficult to convey over the interwebz. 

But, if the response is "don't they have army medics?" then the answer is... no, they don't.

Getting 2 doses of a vaccine (possibly one J&J dose, which is not readily available, not readily administered anywhere else, etc.) into each body, is exponentially more difficult. 

Again, this is not an attack on your idea or intent, which i am sure is well intentioned. Its just not practical, in the context of India. 
    Okay the US has hospital ships, corpsmen, helicopters , and tilt rotor long range planes. If requested we could transport vaccine, medical personnel, and vaccine anywhere within 400 miles of the coastline. Local support would have to be translators and a signed agreement freeing all personnel from civil and criminal action. The ships could even refill oxygen tanks though probably a fraction of what is needed.

As I said they would have to ask and not shoot at our ships, helicopters, and people. As far as globally, 1.4 billion plus our own 330 million plus maybe Mexico and Canada is about as far as the US can reasonably go. The world is a sad place.
    It’s really a shame that the entire country of India and the US State Department don’t have big idea people like yourself who can brainstorm around these kinds of solutions.
    And it’s a real shame that all you and the rest of the flock of Karens can’t do anything but crap on them. 
    Bravo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited May 2021
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

You're confusing India and Yemen. 

Sometimes when you do your crossword puzzle (in ink) you're bound to make a mistake.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Terpderpitude
    Terpderpitude Posts: 200
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

I don’t know what you do for a living but I sure hope it doesn’t require the use of explosives.
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Serious question.  Why isn’t there some way to mass deliver vaccine and medicines by gun or fog?  A fleet of drones or military helicopters could cover a huge area of thy were shooting vaccine or crop dusting with it.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    And the flock squeaks up.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Right now, just over 40% of all US citizens are fully vaccinated.  I've been seeing the footage of the 138,000 people at yesterday's Indy 500, shoulder to shoulder, and though I looked carefully, could not spot a single mask.  

We'll see what happens in two weeks.   :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited June 2021
    dstearn said:
    I just turned 65 the other day and we ate at the Weber Grill Restaurant. We have been fully vaccinated since April. This was the first time I dined inside a restaurant in over year. Masks were optional for patrons but the employees were all wearing masks. I ordered the brisket and it was ok but not as good as smoking your own on the BGE.
    That looks...disappointing. Maybe it's the sauce or the falling apart pieces, or maybe it's that I just smoked one on Brisket Day.

Anyway, Happy Birthday.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Flew Denver to San Jose and back over the weekend.  Denver airport is a crowded mess, lots of poor mask placement (yes, you have to cover your nose too).  San Jose still very light on passengers and planes.

San Jose area seemed fine to me, people respecting distance except on freeways, good mask usage, restaurants opening up more but easing into it.  Some taking temperatures, some playing it more normal. Now that I’ve scrubbed with bleach and bright lights, I’m not leaving the house again for several weeks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SciAggie said:
    I just attended a multi-day wedding event for a niece. From rehearsal dinner to wedding to next day brunch, each event was 65-150 people. The cool part was EVERYONE was vaccinated (proof was required before travel). Events were all outdoors (thank you beautiful California weather). 
    It was fun to attend an event where I was not constantly doing a risk analysis of the situation. 
    Oh, and the food/drink was fabulous. 
    See how easy life can be if people just accept the Microsoft chips?
    @nolaegghead I know, right?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    I for one welcome our Pfizer overlords. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Sacrilege! Moderna is the true Master.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Daughter's housemate just tested positive. Late 20s had double Pfizer. She went for a test because she had a fever. Getting a different test now, looking for variants, although the medics think the vaccine plus a cold could confuse the test. Daughter had covid in October, but still has to isolate now for 10 days.
  • caliking
    Eoin said:
    Daughter's housemate just tested positive. Late 20s had double Pfizer. She went for a test because she had a fever. Getting a different test now, looking for variants, although the medics think the vaccine plus a cold could confuse the test. Daughter had covid in October, but still has to isolate now for 10 days.
    That's a bummer. Hope she and your daughter are doing well.

Its been a bit since I read the results of the vaccine trials, so I don't remember what they found re: getting infected. The take-home point I remember is that its touted efficacy was wrt serious illness/hospitalization/death. Especially for folks >65yo. 

Apparently, the vaccines are working well for >65yo in the UK, given the recent advent of the Indian variant. Majority of infections caused by the Indian variant are in younger, unvaccinated folks. 

Patients in the US are not being aggressively sequenced, so we likely won't know the impact of new(er) strains here. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Hopefully it’s just a light case.
  • Eoin
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:

Its been a bit since I read the results of the vaccine trials, so I don't remember what they found re: getting infected. The take-home point I remember is that its touted efficacy was wrt serious illness/hospitalization/death. Especially for folks >65yo. 

Apparently, the vaccines are working well for >65yo in the UK, given the recent advent of the Indian variant. Majority of infections caused by the Indian variant are in younger, unvaccinated folks. 

Patients in the US are not being aggressively sequenced, so we likely won't know the impact of new(er) strains here. 

Still vaccinating in sequence here although vaccine supply seems good and cities are opening walk in centres for anyone to turn up that are attracting younger people.  These are also aimed at areas where take up has been lower (generally poorer areas). 75% of adults have ad 1 dose, 50% 2 doses.

The case count is definitely on the rise again now, hopefully the vaccine amd incidence among younger people will mean these cases are less serious.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    generally speaking, whatever happens in the UK happens here a couple/few weeks later

Eoin said:
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:

Still vaccinating in sequence here although vaccine supply seems good and cities are opening walk in centres for anyone to turn up that are attracting younger people.  These are also aimed at areas where take up has been lower (generally poorer areas). 75% of adults have ad 1 dose, 50% 2 doses.

The case count is definitely on the rise again now, hopefully the vaccine amd incidence among younger people will mean these cases are less serious.
    That's an impressive number of folks that have been vaccinated. 

• PigBeanUs
    edited June 2021
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:

No calling it buIIshit? Interesting
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    @nolaegghead you are an inspiration on being able to give up what was nothing more than a habit.. I need to address my lifestyle👏
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    edited June 2021
    PigBeanUs said:
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:

No calling it buIIshit? Interesting
    No.  I'm more current with US stats, which are also easier for me to verify, if something doesn't smell right. So, easier to call bullshitt. 

Don't be sad that I gave him the benefit of the doubt =)

Plus, you should verify the info you read. We all should. 

• PigBeanUs

No.  I'm more current with US stats, which are also easier for me to verify, if something doesn't smell right. So, easier to call bullshitt. 

I’m sure this made sense in your head before you typed it. 
  • caliking
    PigBeanUs said:

I’m sure this made sense in your head before you typed it. 
    It did!
    Odd point to harp on about. 

• Eoin
    generally speaking, whatever happens in the UK happens here a couple/few weeks later

It seems as though the latest variant is more transmissible and the vaccine is much less effective against it with 1 dose. The fact that the vaccine has been strictly delivered by age and that young people mixing in social settings / schools means it can still spread fast even with a high overall vaccine rate. There's a big push to get all those with a first dose the second dose now. Another 2 weeks and all over 50s should have had 2 doses. 3.5 m doses per week is the steady rate, population 66 m.
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    I'm down to 184 from a high of 220. Want to lose another 10 and then work on maintenance and cardio.  Really easy for me to lose weight now that I cut out 2200 calories of booze.  And I'm on a drug whose side effect is appetite suppression that I'll be on for the rest of my life.

But I was really unhealthy when this pandemic hit but successfully managed, following CDC guidelines, to avoid getting sick.  And since then, have turned everything around in the right direction. 
    Nice job on the booze.  Did you quit cold turkey?