Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Momofuku's Bo Ssam

joshpounds90
joshpounds90 Posts: 38
edited June 2021 in Pork
Tried this recipe courtesy of David Chang's Momofuku in the East Village, re: a NY Times post. Took a boneless 8lb. butt I had in the freezer from Costco (even though this recipe called for bone-in) and began to thaw it almost 48 hours prior to the cook. The night before, I put it under cold running water for a few hours to speed up the thaw process and then, as per the recipe, rubbed the butt in a 1:1 kosher salt, white sugar mixture before resting it in a bowl covered in the fridge overnight.

Call it a happy accident, but this butt was not fully thawed when it went on the smoker. It probed right at 31° in the center and didn't budge until almost an hour in, although the exterior was thawed and took plenty of smoke. I can honestly say that this helped me in the long run. Smoke ring was huge and the overall cook time was hardly affected.

I dusted off the excess sugar/salt before placing the butt in an aluminum roasting pan. As per the recipe, went with a dome temp. of 300°F (for six-ish hours) indirect. After the first hour and a half, I used a spoon to baste the butt in its juices every hour or so. Once it hit 200°F-205°F, I pulled it and wrapped it in HDAF. After an hour rest, I put it back in the roasting pan and rubbed it (as per the recipe) in brown sugar/kosher salt. I cranked the egg to a dome temp. of 500°F and allowed the brown sugar/salt to caramelize for 15 minutes. Turned out incredible! Flavor is off the charts!

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments